Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2022, 09:48 AM   #41
Richeyb

I had 30 year in the Air Force, which means I served all across the nation: Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, California, Virginia and Idaho. The hepardest place to get around in was the Washington DC area. Several reason for that was tHe amount of traffic during rush hour, all headed in or out of the center for either politics or the Pentagon and the rolling hills of Virginia. City folks were not prepared to drive to work in their 4 wheel drive pickups like in Texas or Idaho and we’re totally un prepared with all season or even better snow tires. Once they got out of their drive the first hill they hit they would abandon their car stuck Trying to drive up a small hill. Watched many bus bumping stranded cars to the side. Sooner or later cars stranded all across the road blocking everyone. Now days most Cars are front wheel or four wheel drive giving city folks the thought we can make it, but they still haven’t invested in good snow tires. Plus all it takes is a few folks to block the road and strand everyone. Be prepared to stay warm when traveling during the winter!
Old 01-09-2022, 09:48 AM   #42
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyMax View Post
Several years ago this happened in Missouri. They had pre-treated the roads, however rain came first and washed everything away. Then the temperature dropped so quickly that the rain on the roads froze an additional freezing rain accumulated on top of that. Then followed by a couple inches of snow. Road crews were fully staffed but yet there was just so much of it and things had to be prioritized. For instance the school bus full of children that slid off into the ditch when school was canceled early. Some people abandon their cars and walked. These cars were then in the way and no one else could get through. It’s easy to say why not just tell them but imagine the length of time for each hook up and tow. The tow trucks couldn’t even get through the volume of traffic. Every person who had AAA was calling, that led to more traffic on the roads. It was just the perfect storm for a complete mess. People sat on the highway all night long. It wasn’t just the one highway that was the issue every road in the county was froze over with cars in various locations in and out of ditches. Road crew couldn’t even drive their personal vehicles in to get to the locations that they needed to to pick up there wow equipment etc. so yes on the face of it it seems easy just clear the highway but getting to the highway is the problem.

Becky
For every backup or traffic jam there is a beginning and end to it … you start at one end with a vehicle/machine that can push the stranded vehicles in whatever lane left or right ( pick one side to clear) to one side of the road ( about 6 ft) …it’s icy conditions so they would move / slide relatively easy with little damage …no I don’t want my vehicle damaged and yes the insurance nightmare would be great
But I’m talking national emergency…make everyone’s car in the uncleared lanes stay put and have a line of busses behind the plows and push vehicles…take the people to local schools to shelter till emergency is over.

It takes leadership and maybe a dozen plows and either a front end loader or piece of heavy equipment to push the vehicles out of the emergency lane.

When I broke down on the Francis Scott key bridge in Baltimore the mta police raced up and his car had rubber bumpers to push me to the other side of the bridge to a shoulder so I wouldn’t tie up the bridge.

No it’s not easy and I’m not saying it would EVER happen this way but if this were a real national emergency then I would hope that leaders somewhere would do whatever is necessary

Leaders that would get on the phone and make decisions without worrying how they will harm their re-election

The Elon Musks and Jeff Bezos of the world can solve problems better then career politicians

And I and a coworker once turned a 1970s fully loaded pickup with a cap on it 360 deg in a icy driveway with are bare hands and little effort …and this was a icy highway in VA

Yes this is all fantasy and will never happen BUT doing NOTHING is just unacceptable for a leader in my opinion …I hate to see people standing around …I used to tell my workers “ do something even if it’s wrong”

And yes the people driving are also responsible but let’s face it …their is a lot of stupid people in the world and someone needs to step in a take charge

It also could have been that VA didn’t want to allocate resources to people that were clearly leaving the state and traveling north…they wanted DC to use up their snow budget ..since it was so close to the VA border…and the outgoing governor was giving a big flip of the finger to his newly elected replacement
Old 01-09-2022, 10:17 AM   #43
jasin1

These are the only people who made any decision to help the situation…the Ellicott city couple and the head of transportation for the bakery…they are who I’d want with me if I was in a lifeboat or stranded on an island https://www.baltimoremagazine.com/se...torm-gridlock/
Old 01-09-2022, 11:03 AM   #44
Cascadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Many people who don’t experience the warm sloppy snow that many areas experience, just don’t understand the traction issues it has. This is the snow that compacts to wet ice under a rolling tire it becomes a wet slippery mess in a hurry.
I would rather drive thru 12” of dry powder than 2” of wet sloppy stuff!
Absolutely! Having driven in the heavy wet Sierra cement as well as the dry snow In Jackson Hole I can say there is a huge difference!
Old 01-09-2022, 02:13 PM   #45
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyMax View Post
I can think of one thing that would stop those volunteers from heading to an electrical outage… Impassable roads

And something that would stop the building of the canal,the dams , the space program….. lack of funding, manpower, resources.
We have more then enough funding,manpower and resources…I wonder how many workers in DC and VA were actually on the clock and sitting on the side of the road waiting further instructions….we as a country can do anything we set our minds to…too many people have just decided that “adequately” is a goal we should strive for …and too many people make excuses and settle for excuses…

And everyone makes mistakes..god knows I’ve had my share ..but accountability and leadership is what we need right about now
Old 01-09-2022, 03:19 PM   #46
notanlines

Richey, Texas for 4 wheel drive pickups? Sorry, but even Oklahoma has more per capita. Texas comes in at number 20.
https://www.cbs42.com/news/national/...verage%20state.
And here I thought every 16 year-old girl in Texas drove a dually to school.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote