Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2020, 08:35 AM   #1
JimJan

Add Electric box in exterior wall

The DW wants an outlet next to the bed in the exterior wall. I can get to the underside as it is in the basement. There is an aluminum tube floor support just inside the exterior wall. The wall seems to extend down below the floor line and continues to the basement floor.

So my question is, if I cut into the exterior wall in the basement behind the aluminum tube, is there a cavity that I can snake a length of romex wire up into the bedroom wall where I can cut an opening to mount an outlet.

I drilled a few 1/8" holes in the basement exterior wall and found white foam insulation. Is this type insulation in the bedroom wall also?
And is there any solid footer / header between the levels?
Does the floor plywood block the wall cavity between the levels?

Seems so simple to run electric at home I just don't know the construction of the camper.

Thanks for some input.
JimJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:14 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

The exterior walls of a smooth sided camper is a laminated sandwich construction. There are no open "cavities" to run wire thru. You can surface mount electrical boxes/wire with products such as wiremold.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:20 AM   #3
JimJan

Thanks Marshall, I was afraid of that. I don't like surface mounting but sounds like the only way.
JimJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:50 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Just a suggestion, if you add the model, year of your trailer it may help you get suggestions. Someone reading may realize that they have the same unit and they did x to resolve the same issue.

If you go to the black band at the top of the page and click on "UserCP" you can add the truck and tow vehicle information to your signature. Many folks add other info there as well.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:26 AM   #5
cavie

surface box and wiremold.