Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2020, 06:24 AM   #21
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
This an EXTREMLY dangerous practice.

Feeding the same circuit with two sources is a recipe for disaster. They will be out of phase and potentially induce 240v thru the circuit before it smokes and burns.
I think you either misunderstood me or I described it wrong, but there is no way to feed the same circuit (the three outlets) from two sources at the same time. You would have 1 male cord and a choice of 2 female source outlets to plug into.

One from the breaker panel which may or may not have power depending on whether or not the RV is plugged into shore power.

One from the inverter which may or may not have power depending on whether or not it is ON.

It is inelegant but not dangerous in the least.

It would not matter if you forgot to unplug.

Remember, all this takes place inside the pass-through.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:58 AM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
I think you either misunderstood me or I described it wrong, but there is no way to feed the same circuit (the three outlets) from two sources at the same time. You would have 1 male cord and a choice of 2 female source outlets to plug into.

One from the breaker panel which may or may not have power depending on whether or not the RV is plugged into shore power.

One from the inverter which may or may not have power depending on whether or not it is ON.

It is inelegant but not dangerous in the least.

It would not matter if you forgot to unplug.

Remember, all this takes place inside the pass-through.
I misread this. Many folks have said to add a double male extension cord and plug it the outlet. I thought thats what you were referencing.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:03 AM   #23
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I misread this. Many folks have said to add a double male extension cord and plug it the outlet. I thought thats what you were referencing.
Ahhh, no worries.
😁😁😁
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:29 AM   #24
RBH

Mike, Marshall

Thanks for your interest. Appreciate it.

An Automatic Transfer Switch in front of the panel would light up ALL outlets in the trailer from the inverter and is probably the best route. I am not concerned with the cost so much as my ability to install it. It would require dropping the bottom and running cable. With the OTG Solar Prep the tradeoff is that there are only 3 outlets that are wired to the passthru to connect to an inverter. I am fine with the 3 outlets.

I like Mike's creativity on the "low tech" option. I think a happy medium is to install a small ATS in the pass thru. Xantrex makes one for $95CDN.

https://www.amazon.ca/Xantrex-808091...111835&sr=8-13

I still only get the 3 outlets powered from the inverter but the install will be cleaner than the low tech plug on the Romex and much easier than dropping the bottom.

This has helped a bunch guys.

Thx
Britt
RBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:58 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

I think that's your best op[tion. If one of those outlets isn't for the television you can get a 300 watt inverter for that. You would just need to run the appropriately sized wire for the 12 v dc.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:11 AM   #26
RBH

I have this setup I built from the previous trailer. The PD Charger will be removed and replaced with the Xantrex ATS. The plug from the ATS will go to the inverter and the two other leads from the ATS will meet the Romex in a junction box to feed the 3 outlets. Very glad I ("we") figured that out

Britt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A7A49409-40A3-4536-8A70-9ABFAB406B4E_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	30713  
RBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 10:58 AM   #27
Jakhamer

I just bought 2021 23rb . Didn’t get into it yet but the Solar flex 400i it refers as a package 2000 watt inverter w/ auto transfer switch. Inside my cargo area it has two covers that say inverter prep
Jakhamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 11:26 AM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

I believe the 400i system has an inverter installed AND (extra bonus) an inverter prep for the second inverter intended for the "soft start air conditioner, neither of which is included...

So, you "should" find one inverter wired to 3 or 4 outlets and an "inverter prep" for the optional air conditioner/inverter system.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, inverter, solar