Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
JerJan10

2001 F250 PSD Downhill

I tow our Copper Canyon 273FWRET (8,000#) with a 2001 Ford F250 SD 7.3 PSD CC LB truck. The truck pulls great, no problems at all. But on a downhill, ie: 7% grade for 6 miles, I have to use truck/trailer brakes, no hold back from the engine/drive train at all. If I push the button on the end of the gear shift to take it out of overdrive (4th to 3rd gear), the tach goes to idle (600 RPM) and we just start picking up speed, again no hold back at all.

Later model trucks have a Tow/Haul mode that does provide some hold back.

Two Ford dealers say this is normal operation, one says the Coast Clutch is blown and one says get a chip with a Deceleration mode.

Anyone with a 2001 F250, etc have a comment on this?
Thanks, JT
JerJan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:04 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

It is normal to not get any engine braking with a diesel. This may sound funny but if you use the accelerator to maintain around 1000 rpm you will hold downhill speed much better especially with trans locked up in OD . I also set my cruise control at the top of the hill and it will help maintain speed. (of course as soon as you have to use the brake it disengages) I know that accelerating to slow down sounds weired, but it does work and that is probably what the chip with decel-mode does. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
Jim W

As Hankpage stated this is normal on all diesel trucks, not equipped with an exhaust brake.
On the newer Diesel trucks these have become standard with the variable geometer turbo. My exhaust brake is always engaged when towing and helps greatly on downhill accents. I normally put the truck in tow/haul mode and whatever gear I go up in than this is the gear I will go down in. I have the exhaust brake on and do not use the wheel brakes or trailer brakes at all. The exhaust brake will hold the truck at speed and will help stop the truck down to 1100 RPM's where it will disengage.

I would investigate an exhaust brake for the 7.3L engine. You may have to have to install different valve springs on the engine when installing the exhaust brake.

I would look at a Pacbrake or a Jake brake for the Ford.
Here is a link to the Pacbrake site.http://www.pacbrake.com/index.php?pa...exhaust-brakes
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
Johnnyfry

Brakeing

I have boon going back and forth about installing an exhaust brake I. My 2006 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins for some time. I just came across Montana & Washington as a sort of test case towing my 318SAB.

In tow haul and setting cruise @50 mph I could maintain 65mph on a 5% grade with only intermittent application of brakes, not enough to worry about overheating.

On a 6% 5 mile grade I pulled the trans down to 2nd @40mph. Pretty effectively maintained 55 with engine @3000 RPM (redline). I suspect that operation could cause transmission overheating in long term.

You must pull down to 2nd at 40 or below or trans will not shift down to a low enough gear.

I am probably still going to get the exhaust brake in the end, but stock is not nearly as bad I thought it would be.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
antiqfreq

We just finished traveling the country for a year. We have the 7.3L also.

We installed a banks exhaust brake and also the trans command from banks.

We had no problems during our travels.

I hope this helps.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
JerJan10

Thanks very much for the replies, I'll try the 1000 RPM to keep the TC locked. I'll look at exhaust brakes but didn't want to spend so much $ on 11 yr old truck.
JT
JerJan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:46 AM   #7
antiqfreq

We bought our 03' in 07' and knew we would be traveling a year pulling out fifth wheel allover the country so the expense was worth it to us; but I do understand your not wanting to expend the costs. We didn't either but in our case thought it was a necessity.

We got our truck with 85,000 miles on it and it now has 142,000...that exhaust brake has been used alot!

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
Old 09-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
photolab

Different transmission

The F-250+ from 2004 and up (6.0 engine) has a whole different transmission setup, and when you push in the tow/haul button, the truck takes on a whole new personality! And this DOES include engine braking and automatic downshifts. Apparently, this is the lockup torque converter in action, which otherwise only locks up in 4th gear. (Feels like another shift if you're really on it.
I don't know what Ford did differently with the engine, if anything except turning up the turbo in tow/haul, but it DOES have compression braking. Apparently, only the Cummins engines don't do it this way. Remember, they build engines for BIG trucks too, and nearly all of them seem to have ake brakes.
photolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:51 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

The OP's truck is a 2001 with 7.3L PSD. That is, I believe essentially the same engine as I had in my 99 PSD. There was a warning in the owner's manual about NOT installing an auxilliary engine brake unless modifications to the engine were done at the same time. I can't remember exactly because I didn't install any "add ons" to my truck, but I do believe the piston rings and possibly the injectors needed to be beefed up or exchanged if a "jake brake" was installed.

As I said, I can't remember exactly what was needed, but, OP, check your owner's manual before you start installing addon brakes to your truck, you might need to buy more than just the brake kit.

Good luck !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The OP's truck is a 2001 with 7.3L PSD. That is, I believe essentially the same engine as I had in my 99 PSD. There was a warning in the owner's manual about NOT installing an auxilliary engine brake unless modifications to the engine were done at the same time. I can't remember exactly because I didn't install any "add ons" to my truck, but I do believe the piston rings and possibly the injectors needed to be beefed up or exchanged if a "jake brake" was installed.

As I said, I can't remember exactly what was needed, but, OP, check your owner's manual before you start installing addon brakes to your truck, you might need to buy more than just the brake kit.

Good luck !!!!!
On the older Cummins engines it was the valve springs that had to be replaced. I would think it would be the same for Ford.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:09 AM   #11
antiqfreq

We did not have to do anything to beef up the engine or change anything to put in the Banks Exhaust system.

Don't know about other systems. But, if you contact a Banks dealer they will walk you through everything and answer all your questions.

You can just call them and they will help you out, even if you don't buy from them.

I know we put in the exhaust brake and then added the trans command package from them also which helps with the shifting and works with the exhaust brake for better results.

*By the way, the 7.3L motor was 1/2 of 2003 and the second 1/2 of 2003 came the 6.0.......we wanted nothin gbut the 7.3L and we are happy with our choice*

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
Old 09-04-2011, 05:24 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

You may very well be right about the valve springs. Like I said, I didn't pay much attention to that part of the owners manual because I didn't do any aftermarket mods. But I did remember that there was "something" that needed to be replaced/upgraded if an aftermarket "jake brake" type mod was added....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #13
Grss

The early PSD with the automatic transmissions use a lock up torque converter. The converter locks up at a certain speed, and UN locks with the activation of the brake pedal, so the truck will not stall when coming to a stop. If you search around the internet for the "Torque Converter lock up switch" you will see how owners have installed a switch to override the converter lock up. There are different ways of doing this. Also the EBPV(Exhaust Back Pressure Valve) is in the exhaust housing side of the Turbo. It's original purpose is to close when the engine is cold to help with emissions upon warm up. This is a elec. controlled valve that can made to work as an exhaust brake. It is also a simple wire/switch modification. Do a search for "EBPV manual control"
Grss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #14
Frankenstien

Home made Jake Brake,

There are some low cost options available to you, I have installed on my truck one of these options. Tho my truck is a Manual gear box the principles are the same. you have from the factory, a EBV (Exhaust Back Pressure Valve). The EBV is located on the collector of your turbo, this regulates the amount of exhaust to the turbo, it comes heavily into play when the weather turns cold, to aid in engine warm up. The Modification uses this valve to act as an exhaust brake. You will also need to add a switch that keeps your torque converter locked up, these 2 modification cost around 30.00 bucks in parts and about 2 hrs of your time.... 3 if you count the research and learning curve. Well worth the investment, in time and money.

Tags
downhill, ford f250