Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2016, 10:25 PM   #1
buzzcop63

2016 Titan XC Diesel on the Ike Gauntlet

There is a new truck out for the 1/2-ton user or 1/2 ton plus. The new 2016 Titan XD with the Cummins 5.0 Liter DOHC 32 valve V8 Turbo Diesel with 555 Ft Lb of torque at 1,600 RPM. Nissan rates the basic truck at 12,300Lb towing capacity with a 6 speed Aisen transmission on the 4 X 2 and over 2,000 Lb payloads.

The following Youtube sight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=LHsu3W-iNJk The Titan XD 4 wheel drive gets a full test towing a 10,200 lb Goose Neck trailer up the 11,158 foot max altitude, an 8 mile stretch of I-70 at max grade of 7%. The actual numbers given for the test Titan are payload 1,733, tow rating of 11,784Lb, GVWR 8,990Lb.

On the testers web sight, www.TFLTruck.com, under comments on the test one of the telling points made as well as during the test was that the tow capacity vs the payload capacity was so far off that that the test team had to leave one of their group behind or be over the trucks Payload and GVWR. The above sight is a great help in pointing out what the factory claim and what a truck can actually do and what we must consider when purchasing a tow vehicle.

How did you as a reader pick your truck? Trailer or truck first, did you look at all the numbers first or find out later if your choice was the correct one?
Old 01-22-2016, 09:37 AM   #2
GaryWT

Sounds like a nice truck but much better for a TT than a FW. You generally run out of payload before tow capacity. Before towing we had a truck that was limited. I upgraded the truck to something that would fit what we were looking at for a TT. Unfortunately after 2 years we had some issues with the trailer and it was easier to trade it in than fix the issues. The new TT was slightly heavier but we towed it for 2 years with the same truck and it was ok but not great. After a life event, we bought a 350 and now everything is great. People end up with their combinations in all different ways.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:09 PM   #3
denverpilot

I have been following this truck with interest since it was announced it would have a Cummins.

Unfortunately it seems two things have it in a bad position in the market now that it's about to come out:

1. Payload. Looks light.
2. Price. Nissan appears to be pretty proud of it in a market segment that now has another half ton diesel (the Dodge) and is generally running payload, towing max weight, and torque "wars" with every manufacturer upping the ante on all three seemingly almost every year.

You can still buy so much more tow vehicle on the used market still right now, that this truck, to me anyway, gets a nod and a yawn. It'll work great for some, but it can't meet my towing needs/desires.

It's too bad really. The market could use another real competitor to push prices down.

The "trainer brake light check mode" is brilliant though. Trucks should have had those already for years now. Very nice.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:29 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

In reply to the original question, I picked my truck first - a 1/2 ton. In fact, when the first salesman showed me the only truck that had what I wanted he pointed out it had the Ram "tow mirrors". I told him I had no intention of towing anything that big, didn't like the mirrors, so passed on it. Fast forward about 6 mos. and my daughter's family, with my grandgirls, move to FL. Our visions of what we would be doing with travel changed dramatically.

After determining a new RV would be the only way to go to FL and spend extensive time with my daughter we tried to back the trailer purchase into the truck we had. I did the numbers repeatedly but refused to consider a light weight unit that did not have what I wanted. I ended up purchasing a trailer that maxed my towing ability and ran over on my payload by about 400lbs thinking "everyone else does it" and it wouldn't be an issue - even added air bags. I took it to FL and it pulled "OK" but I knew there had to be something better and knowing I was pushing the limits had me stressed ALL the time. Upon our return went out and bought a new 2500 4x4 that gave me cushion at all levels and I've been happy since.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #5
nellie1289

I like the idea of this truck and generally think Nissan builds a good product but the truck is in no man's land. Not enough capacity to do any serious towing and too high in the price range to justify vs a 2500. Hell I paid 55k for my 69k msrp 3500 ram limited so why would I ever shell out this kind of money for a glorified half ton?
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:21 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

x2 on what Nellie1289 said. This engine needs to be dropped into a 3/4 ton truck (big 3) to bridge the between the gas engines and the 8-900ft lbs of torque out of their current diesel options. Of course, if the option is still $9000 give me the 900lbs of torque There's way too much motor in the Nissan for the "small truck" capacities (imo).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:17 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

x3 on what Nellie1289 said. For some comparative examples, our 1993 Ford 7.3l produced 360 ftlb of torque. We towed a 35' Holiday Rambler all over the southeast and southwest. The only issues was at altitudes over 5000'. The engine was naturally aspirated (no turbo). Then, we bought a 1999 SuperDuty with the same engine which did have a turbo. The torque was "upped" to 525 ftlb. We towed the same trailer and literally it was a "night/day" difference in towing effort.

This Nissan has the "guts" to tow like the first SuperDuty models, but lacks the "backbone" to carry payloads that come with the "big boy diesel" that's under the hood.

It looks like the Nissan diesel could easily "fill the void" between large block gas engines and the "big HP/torque diesels". There's a market for a fuel efficient, capable diesel in a 3/4 ton truck, with just a little more effort, Nissan could "corner the market" and sell, Sell, SELL this engine, but probably only in a more capable chassis.

I suppose it'll "drag a trailer as easily as my early SuperDuty turbo, but it really needs to be able to "carry the load" while pulling it......

At a cost comparable to an F250 or a 2500 series from GM or RAM, it's going to be the "lightweight" in the corral, probably followed by those who "bleed Nisssan" but overlooked by most others who are looking for a truck to work for them.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:31 PM   #8
T3/T4 Hybrid

The only bad thing I see is waiting a few years to let the company get all of the bugs worked out. Anytime there is a new model it takes a while to get everything working correctly. That new Cummins engine will be a work horse!
T3/T4 Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:38 PM   #9
CaptnJohn

Sounds fine for a TT but nothing a gasser could not do as well for a lot less. The payload is too low for much of a 5er. Actually, too low for much of any type of work,

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:19 PM   #10
nellie1289

Amen to everything said here. It just makes you wonder why Nissan couldn't figure this out too. Now, If it sold for 49k they would sell a ton of them. Wasn't the tundra also scheduled to get this motor ?

One good application for this truck would be the larger boat. I can tell you a half ton really struggles with a 7000lb or so boat, so this would fit that spot nicely. Me personally I like more truck than I need and every day I'm glad I skipped the 2500 for a 3500!
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:43 PM   #11
Ken / Claudia

I have been waiting for years to see Toyota and Nissan get into the 3/4-1 ton market. With the opinion that 2 things would happen. The big 3 would have competition which is always good. 1 Prices might go down or just not up as much with more competition . 2 All makes would need to make the best truck they can to keep their trucks selling. I would look at Toyota and Nissan as a replacement for my current truck if they made them.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:08 AM   #12
esmoglo

Nissan has had limited success in the truck market their new 3500 van line is not moving off dealers’ lots & Titan is a low volume mover. The only innovative design with the new Titan is the fact that it has that Cummings engine if it didn’t have that it's grossly overpriced for what your getting.

Considering American truck manufacturers are producing high quality tucks with many bed configurations, cab configurations, a variety of engine choices I really feel this new Nissan has a limited appeal and once the novelty wears off I think Nissan will have a hard time selling it unless they offer huge rebates and incentives.

Side note I believe the 2017 Toyota tundra will also have the same engine and I think we all know that Toyota is revered as a much higher quality nameplate than Nissan. With that said even Toyota has had mediocre success with the tundra.
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:07 PM   #13
buzzcop63

What is American made or manufactured product today? Looking at the field of half ton trucks check with the manufacturer to see where that truck was assembled, what percentage of the parts were purchased in North America, are Americans drawing the wages or is a foreign nations work force doing most of the labor? Trying to buy American and put American to work is not as easy as just having an American company name on the product. After a test drive of the 2012 Ford half ton, which was very nice, I asked the sales representative where the truck was assembled, Canada. The Tundra is manufactured in San Antonio Texas and uses 75% North American parts content.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:34 PM   #14
440justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzcop63 View Post
What is American made or manufactured product today? Looking at the field of half ton trucks check with the manufacturer to see where that truck was assembled, what percentage of the parts were purchased in North America, are Americans drawing the wages or is a foreign nations work force doing most of the labor? Trying to buy American and put American to work is not as easy as just having an American company name on the product. After a test drive of the 2012 Ford half ton, which was very nice, I asked the sales representative where the truck was assembled, Canada. The Tundra is manufactured in San Antonio Texas and uses 75% North American parts content.
What plant in Canada is assembling F150's? They do have two engine plants and one plant building the Edge and Flex and the Lincoln flazor of those.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_factories

Up until the 2015 redesign the F150 had been ranked #1 or #2 in the Cars.com American-made index. For the 2015 F150 the American content dropped to around 70% on the F150, so still better than some other trucks.

https://www.cars.com/articles/the-20...1420680649381/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2016, 09:16 AM   #15
Ken / Claudia

For me I do not care where the vehicle I buy is made. I want one that works as it should, lasts and feel is priced right. I do know that unless rules have changed Japan was unable to import V8 engines. And the ones I did look at were made here. Same with the Nissan V8s. In the past Ford F250s where made in Mexico(the non Super Duty line). They did have Canada plants along with Dodges trucks. If you go to a VIN book each maker of a vehicle will list the plant location and country it came from. Also look (read) the 1st VIN character.The #1 is US company US made. #2 made in Canada, #3 in Mexico. Japan owned auto company's who make vehicles in the US that number will be a 4,5 or 6 depending on which Japan co. Or take the time to open the door and read the white label that is Federal standards sticker. Along with other information it will list country of origin.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:48 AM   #16
allmi01

With all the globalization in major corporations, you only rarely get American made products.

This said, I vote with my wallet for American corporations were the profits stay home and not go overseas. US profits get US taxes and in the long run, help the US economy.

Nissan and Toyota have good reputations in the US in the car markets as they built the best small cars during the 80's. And while both build trucks for their home markets, the use of pickup trucks in the US is way different. Both companies have had limited success in the full size market as they are still tying to understand how US commercial users (construction companies, farmers, etc.) use and abuse these vehicles. If they figure it out, then the market will get some competition. Until this happens, the big 3 have the upper hand.

My 2 cents worth.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:38 AM   #17
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
For me I do not care where the vehicle I buy is made. I want one that works as it should, lasts and feel is priced right.
I completely agree with this. There was some value for the "buy American" argument in the 1970s or 1980s, when, by the way, American built autos were pretty much complete junk... But these days, it's world market and all companies are farming stuff out to be competitive. A true 100% American made and component manufactured vehicle would easily cost 300% or more of today's sticker price.

I like Nissan, but to date, I'd never touch one of their trucks or SUVs. I had a late model Tundra and it was the best 1/2 ton truck I've never owned - motor, brakes, reliability, all absolutely excellent.

I really like the Ram Eco Diesel, I was a bit suspicious that it'd be a one-off abandoned diesel engine that sometimes happen in the American market, but that seems to be not the case.

The engine in the new Nissan is Cummins... So they just moved up a rung in my book. I don't buy the 1st year of anything, but if I needed a 1/2 ton, this would be on my list for successive years.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote