Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2016, 10:19 AM   #21
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
"200 kms while throwing it into a corner" and "safety" with a on N2 in tires for $25/per.

Sorry. I was overcome.
I think that the speed limit is 120 and on some of Coquihalla Highway it's 140. I just go a little over it as that car really loves the speed and the rpms I'm running 90% nitrogen and 10% air and that seems to work well with the tires.
As for nitrogen for the trailer I'd definitely do it as there's no built in ABS, temp gauge nor air pressure sensors like found on a car.
For safety, tire wear and blowouts nitrogen is a pretty cheap way to go
Old 03-26-2016, 12:43 PM   #22
Desert185

I run 78% N2, 21% O2 and 1% whatever. A little electricity and mechanicals to compress and in it goes. I drive/ride/fly the local Sierra Nevada with gusto without busto. So far, so good.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:42 PM   #23
PerryB

No busto. I love it!! I've been at it for 37 years and no busto yet. Doesn't mean it's not going to happen. ....
My biggest problem is that as I get older I get bolder!
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #24
Bob Landry

It's pretty much a solution looking for a problem. Also, if your tires are correctly aired when cold, the pressure stability argument is weak at best as the tire manufacturers recommended pressures account for the pressure increases when the tire heats up.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:14 PM   #25
PerryB

Bob , I'd love to argue with you, but first you'd have to be wrong.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:28 PM   #26
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
It's pretty much a solution looking for a problem. Also, if your tires are correctly aired when cold, the pressure stability argument is weak at best as the tire manufacturers recommended pressures account for the pressure increases when the tire heats up.
With nitrogen your pressure stays the same hot or cold and that's the whole purpose of using it. It's fail safe and as I stated with a trailer you have no idea what the pressure is while towing as it'll go up and down as you drive which will cause tire wear and blow outs
Try it and see if you haven't already
Old 03-27-2016, 07:50 AM   #27
notanlines

I have followed the nitrogen/air argument for years. I have stayed with common air from our compressor, but it still interests me. This website has a fairly good comparison/tests and is worth a read, although a little long.
https://powertank.com/truth.or.hype/
I am reprinting their conclusion here.
"Conclusion of High Pressure Gas Test:
At the higher tire pressure commonly seen in RV tires we took the gases through a temperature range of 154ºF (-20ºF up to 134ºF). Our start pressure was 80 PSI @ -20ºF and over the 154ºF temperature increase we saw the gas pressures all increase virtually the same amount to within 2 PSI of each other. In the end, the N2 and "air" test samples topped at 108 PSI while the CO2 sample topped out at 110 PSI. Note that the pressure changes that we saw in our bottles are the same as what you'd experience in your big RV tires despite the difference in volume. What does this mean? No matter which of these gases is in your RV tires, your handling, performance and tire wear will be the same."
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:15 AM   #28
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I have followed the nitrogen/air argument for years. I have stayed with common air from our compressor, but it still interests me. This website has a fairly good comparison/tests and is worth a read, although a little long.
https://powertank.com/truth.or.hype/
I am reprinting their conclusion here.
"Conclusion of High Pressure Gas Test:
At the higher tire pressure commonly seen in RV tires we took the gases through a temperature range of 154ºF (-20ºF up to 134ºF). Our start pressure was 80 PSI @ -20ºF and over the 154ºF temperature increase we saw the gas pressures all increase virtually the same amount to within 2 PSI of each other. In the end, the N2 and "air" test samples topped at 108 PSI while the CO2 sample topped out at 110 PSI. Note that the pressure changes that we saw in our bottles are the same as what you'd experience in your big RV tires despite the difference in volume. What does this mean? No matter which of these gases is in your RV tires, your handling, performance and tire wear will be the same."
Thank you. Besides, those green valve stem caps are major ugly.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:56 PM   #29
Hideout17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
With nitrogen your pressure stays the same hot or cold and that's the whole purpose of using it. It's fail safe and as I stated with a trailer you have no idea what the pressure is while towing as it'll go up and down as you drive which will cause tire wear and blow outs
Try it and see if you haven't already
No it doesn't. That's a major myth to sell it. It builds pressure and drops pressure just like the stuff out of the had station air hose....just not as much. I worked in a dealer that sold it and when the cold came had to top off air. The machine manual said and I quote "in colder weather bump air pressure 2 to 4 lbs to prevent tpms lite from coming on..." same thing we did with the free stuff. On race cars the air pressure builds as tire temp goes up too....
Hideout17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:59 PM   #30
Hideout17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
I run 78% N2, 21% O2 and 1% whatever. A little electricity and mechanicals to compress and in it goes. I drive/ride/fly the local Sierra Nevada with gusto without busto. So far, so good.
Me too and I haven't had any issues from it either.....
Hideout17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:06 PM   #31
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideout17 View Post
No it doesn't. That's a major myth to sell it. It builds pressure and drops pressure just like the stuff out of the had station air hose....just not as much. I worked in a dealer that sold it and when the cold came had to top off air. The machine manual said and I quote "in colder weather bump air pressure 2 to 4 lbs to prevent tpms lite from coming on..." same thing we did with the free stuff. On race cars the air pressure builds as tire temp goes up too....
With the A 7 I might gain a 1/4 lb while running it hard and the pressure stays the same with all the tires. If I just ran straight air the pressure on all 4 would be all over the map and that's not too safe in my mind
As for getting air from the local station you must keep in mind that they don't take care of their tanks and you'll end up with oil and water in your tires.
I've read the posts here and it seems that the experts are great at pulling up stats while surfing the interweb but the true experiences come from people that actually use nitrogen.
Like why take chances of having your tire pressure unequal on all 4 when you don't have to? Like I've said before it's cheap insurance
Old 03-28-2016, 09:40 PM   #32
Desert185

Personally, I use my own air with a water separator/trap. Never from a station. No water or oil in my tires. To each his own. Eh?
Old 03-29-2016, 07:51 AM   #33
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
I think that the speed limit is 120 and on some of Coquihalla Highway it's 140.
Nope. 120 Max. Not to say I haven't done 150, but it's 120 max.

The thing I don't get about Nitrogen, is the number of places that won't charge for it. I know it's a marketing gimmick, but Costco doesn't charge extra for it.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:20 AM   #34
SAABDOCTOR

I want to see that audi go 200 kilometers per second without it being tossed from a c130.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:10 AM   #35
SUnderwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryB View Post
Those are some interesting links. The last one pretty well sums it up. The only real advantage to nitrogen is it doesn't support combustion, and THATS why its used in aircraft tires. Well, heavy commercial and military anyway. I don't think I'm going to worry about it.
lithium with decompose (burn) in a nitrogen atmosphere
SUnderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:05 AM   #36
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
I want to see that audi go 200 kilometers per second without it being tossed from a c130.

That didn't make any sense Why would I chuck it out of a water bomber to go 200 kms? I bought it new, drove it for the break in period then send it to a sports shop and had them trick it out. The car is like a rocket that's built for speed. It's a great stress reliever
But staying on topic; you can talk to 10 different shops about nitrogen and you'll get 10 different answers. Nitrogen has great advantages in certain applications like my car but yet the same tire shop said that it's a waste of money to use it for my truck.
They only reason that I say it's great for a trailer is that all four tires will keep the same pressure as the air temp goes up and down.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:57 AM   #37
SAABDOCTOR

WELL STEVE YOU CAN MONITOR TEMP AND PRESSURE IN YOUR TRAILER TIRES. I HAVE BEEN USING THE STUFF THE THAT WE BREATHE FOR YEAARS NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT. AND I AGREE WITH BOB. JUST MY 2 CENTS ... SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS I AINT YELLIN
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:42 AM   #38
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
WELL STEVE YOU CAN MONITOR TEMP AND PRESSURE IN YOUR TRAILER TIRES. I HAVE BEEN USING THE STUFF THE THAT WE BREATHE FOR YEAARS NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT. AND I AGREE WITH BOB. JUST MY 2 CENTS ... SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS I AINT YELLIN
Yes I know this as I have the monitoring system on all 6 tires on my truck
Btw there's an edit button at the preview page