Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2015, 09:43 AM   #1
hitchikerman

over rated?

I have a cougar 2008 with stock tires are Marathons 225/75 r15's I wanted to go to a e-rated tire but after alot of research I would be wasting my money. The wheels on my trailer are only rated for 2600 lbs so what's the sense of spending the extra money on e-rated tires when the wheels will not support them. Any idea's or help would be appreciated.
hitchikerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:26 AM   #2
Jim & DJ

Just a thought. Original tires? Marathon's are bad enough but the age would concern me.
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & DJ View Post
Just a thought. Original tires? Marathon's are bad enough but the age would concern me.
X2 If they are the originals, I would be looking at replacing them now. They could be 8 years old - depending upon the year they were manufactured. The Marathons may look "good" but they've outlived their service life and should be replaced.

Are you certain that the wheel rating won't support an E-rated tire?
Old 12-13-2015, 10:53 AM   #4
hitchikerman

Yup stamp right on the outside of the wheel max pressure 2600 psi the wheel has a ETO stamped on it also. Just for grins and giggles I looked at the weight stamp with a magnifing glass to make sure...could be 2800 lbs but pretty sure it's 2600lbs.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:06 AM   #5
Cyncwby

If you ever blow a trailer tire at speed (and you will if you keep the old junk Marathons) you'll appreciate the simple fix I'm about to type. You go on www.trailertireandwheel.com and find the approriate 15" wheel that supports an E rated Maxxis or Kumho 857 tire. Yes I know it's not a cheap fix but the alternative can be life threatening.
Cyncwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:09 AM   #6
Ken / Claudia

I do not think your wasting any money when buying a better or heavier duty tire. Your smart, that type tire (heavier ply etc), in my opinion will last longer, hold up better to road debris, pot holes.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:24 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

The MAXXIS M8008 load chart can be found here: http://www.maxxis.com/trailer/traile...nflation-chart

Essentially, the ST225/75R15 tire is manufactured in three "ply ratings" C, D and E. The maximum load rating for the C (6 ply) is 2150 at 50 PSI, the D (8 ply) is 2540 at 65 PSI and the E (10 ply) is 2830 at 80 PSI.

Your wheels are rated to carry 2600 pounds (probably at 65PSI). They will carry that same 2600 pounds if you install higher rated tires (LRE). You will "gain" an added "safety loading" by installing the heavier tires, but you're correct in that your wheels will not "be rated" to the 2830 that your tires are rated. So your tire/wheel will still have a maximum 2600 pound rating.

You can think along the lines of buying a 3/4 ton truck when you only need a 1/2 ton truck. If your payload is 900 pounds, you can carry it in a 1/2 ton truck rated at 1000 pound payload, but you'll have "extra capacity" if you carry it in a 3/4 ton truck with a payload rating of 2000 pounds. You're "OK" with either choice, but have more "reserve" with the heavier duty choice.

Having the "extra capacity that's not used" isn't really "wasted" rather it's a "safety reserve"....

Last I checked pricing on Maxxis 225 75R/15 tires, the price difference between D and E rating (8 vs 10 ply) the E rated tires were about $4 more (on Amazon) and were $11 more (at Online Tire.com). They were about $8 a tire more expensive on EBay.

So, to buy tires what essentially are "stronger than your wheels" will give you some "safety reserve" over tires that are rated slightly less than your wheel load rating. That "safety reserve will cost you somewhere between $16 to $48 for a set of four. Whether you think the "safety reserve" is worth that investment or not, is pretty much a personal decision.

In either situation, buying 8 ply or 10 ply, based on the date of manufacture of your current Goodyear tires, I'd urge you, as others have, to replace them before your next trip. You're probably "living on borrowed time" with the current tires !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:35 PM   #8
hitchikerman

thanks JR for great advice so if I went to the Maxxis d-rated tires I should put no more then 65 PSI in the tires
Old 12-13-2015, 01:35 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Different wheels are rated at different load capacity and different pressure capacity. On the back of your wheel should be stamped a "max load" and a "max PSI". Some wheel manufacturers only stamp the load. If you don't find the "max PSI" locate the wheel manufacturer part number, contact their customer service and ask for the maximum PSI rating for that specific wheel. They will give you the information.

To answer your question, currently, without knowing the max PSI rating, I'd only put 65PSI in the LRE tires. That will give you the load rating of 2540 per tire/wheel assembly (5080 per axle). If your wheels are rated to 80PSI, you can increase the pressure and achieve a rating of 2600 pounds per tire/axle or 5200 pounds per axle. Remember, even though the tire is rated 2830 pounds, your wheel is only rated at 2600 pounds and will be the limiting factor.

If it were me, I'd omit all the "searching/calling/deciding" and just install the LRE tires, inflate them to 65PSI and call it a day. That will give you what you've been using since 2008 with the added comfort of a "safety margin" that you didn't have previously.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

I have the Maxxis 225/75R15 LRE (10 ply) and keep them inflated at 70psi - slightly more than the 65 but less than their 80 lb rating.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #11
hitchikerman

thanks again for all the help going with the maxxis E-rated tire @ 65psi.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:33 PM   #12
CWtheMan

The ST225/75R15D inflated to 65 psi is the same tire as the ST225/75R15E inflated to 65 psi. The controlling factor for getting a specific amount of strength from a tire is the amount of inflation pressure used. It is engineered that way and that's why the inflation charts are a proven strength measurement tool standardized across the board for each tire design.

When plus sizing with replacement tires its an industry standard to insure the tires and rims are appropriate for the increased task. Should you do less? The only way you can use the reserve load capacity in the LRE tires is to increase their inflation above 65 psi. Otherwise its dormant.

Note: Because your axles are set at 5080# you can still use the 2600# rims and inflate the tires to 80 psi if the rims qualify for that pressure. The 2600# is immaterial because you would have to severely overload your axles to have that much weight on the rims/tires.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:15 PM   #13
EVMIII

I'm certainly no expert, but I have always been told that is especially important to run ST tires a max PSI. A large portion of tire failures are attributed to under inflated tires, it doesn't seem reasonable to start that way. Don't take my word, go find a tire expert. Good luck, safe travels.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:07 AM   #14
notanlines

"Don't take my word, go find a tire expert" In all my 67 years I don't believe I have ever come across more knowledgeable people concerning RV tires then on this site. Start with CWtheman and go from there. We have many members who are exceedingly informed where tires/rims are involved. Drive into your first Tire Kingdom, Goodyear, or Firestone and ask any of the people in there to tell you what your rims are rated at.......seldom will you get a satisfactory answer.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:34 AM   #15
shiggs68

over rated?

I hate to step into tire threads since there always seems to be too many experts.

However, most steel wheels do not have ratings or max psi but are rated at 65 psi max. Only Aluminum wheels are required to have the rating stamped into the back side.

The correct tire inflation is dependent on the chart published by the tire manufacture and the weight they will be carrying. Not some magic always the same number or the max psi printed on the tire. If it was on the tire, it would say recommended not maximum. For instance, review this document published by Goodyear http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/tire-care-guide.pdf.

TravelingRVDoctor -Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
shiggs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:17 PM   #16
CWtheMan

The DOT does not require the rims on our trailers to have load capacitie or psi limiting figures displayed on each individual rim.

However that information is often provided by OEM suppliers on request from vehicle manufacturers for ease of identification for various fitments with like sized tires with different load capacities. (Example; ST235/80R16D has a load capacity of 3000# and the next load capacity, LRE, is 3420#).

On vehicle certification the DOT says rims must be appropriate for the tires fitted to them at the time of first sale. You can search 571.120 for verification.

Rim specifications are a product of SAE testing and quality assurance.

Rim manufacturers must provide serial numbers and part numbers on each rim tag along with a means to communicate with them. They have the answers and will provide them when asked.

I would not expect a vehicle manufacturer to have rim specifications unless they are the installers of the tires to the rim. The OEM provider that married the tire to the rim must surely have the information. It would be a serious safety violation if they did not.

BUT, bottom line, vehicle manufacturers are the final certifiers. Somewhere in that process whoever married the tires to the rims had to sign off on it as a safe and appropriate fitment. If called to the task, IMO, the vehicle manufacturer must answer for their actions. So, somewhere in the maze of paperwork needed for final vehicle certification there is an answer for Original Equipment tire/rim specifications.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:22 AM   #17
carlc51

In regards to wheel ratings and tire max PSI will a tire that is rated for max cold setting of 110 psi say Goodyear 614 mounted on a wheel that has a rating of 110 psi be appropriate when tire is run and heats up and psi exceeds the 110 PSI rating of wheel? Have been wondering about this and have kept my tire pressure at 100 and haven't climbed over the 110 mark yet butwould like to know opinions and thoughts of this.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #18
Ken / Claudia

I asked the same question years ago to the manager at a tire shop. After I had 2 blow outs on my truck. That problem was due to not having full metal valve stems. But, I found that the tires would be checked in the morning at 80 psi (max for a Max load). Hours later while driving they could be 92psi and highest I checked was 96psi. He said all that max psi is based off cold test psi and the wheels/tires have the factor built in to allow them to exceed that psi when hot. If CW has a different reason of better explanation. Take his words over mine.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:38 PM   #19
shiggs68

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlc51 View Post
In regards to wheel ratings and tire max PSI will a tire that is rated for max cold setting of 110 psi say Goodyear 614 mounted on a wheel that has a rating of 110 psi be appropriate when tire is run and heats up and psi exceeds the 110 PSI rating of wheel? Have been wondering about this and have kept my tire pressure at 100 and haven't climbed over the 110 mark yet butwould like to know opinions and thoughts of this.

If you refer to the Goodyear document I attached above, you will find that the proper tire pressure depends on the weigh it is carrying.

I also have G614s and only inflate to 85psi as once I weighted, that is what the chart calls for. They do go up about 10 lbs after heat buildup.

shiggs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:39 PM   #20
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggs68 View Post
If you refer to the Goodyear document I attached above, you will find that the proper tire pressure depends on the weigh it is carrying.

I also have G614s and only inflate to 85psi as once I weighted, that is what the chart calls for. They do go up about 10 lbs after heat buildup.

When one starts researching tires each aspect must be reviewed to come to a correct conclusion.

In this case its tire inflation pressures.

So lets start off with the correct tire inflation pressure for your RV trailer. Like all other vehicles its determined and set by the vehicle manufacturer. That’s undisputed for Original Equipment (OE) tires. Refer to 571.120.

Inflation pressures are very important. As air pressure is added to the tire its load capacity is increased. Tire manufacturers develop tire inflation charts, normally in 5 psi increments for load ranged tires. Those charts are approved for all different sized tires and their different designs and load ranges. Vehicle manufacturers use those charts when setting OE tire pressures as directed by FMVSS. Tire retailers and other properly trained people use those charts when changing tire sizes and designs.

The major misunderstanding about tire pressures is the starting point. To the trained installer its going to be found on the vehicle’s certification label/ tire placard. If the OE rims have a rating that includes load capacities and inflation pressures up to and including the pressure listed on the tire side wall the tires can be inflated - cold - to that value.

Because medium to heavy duty truck tires are sometimes used on RV trailer axles does not mean they can be inflated as a heavy truck tire. When on the RV trailer they are RV trailer tires and are regulated by the FMVSS.

Because more than 90-95% of all RV trailer tires are LT or ST ties their normal recommended inflation pressures are going to be 100% of the pressure listed on their sidewall. There is no adjustment to be made.

Replacement tires are almost always going to be larger than the OE tires with more load capacity. When properly installed with appropriate rims they can often be adjusted to suit the owner. The minimum adjustment is to use inflation pressures that will provide the load capacity the OE tires provided.

When anyone inflates a tire to a value equal to what it is going to carry there is zero wiggle room for error. Is the air gauge calibrated right to the psi? Do you check before every trip? Do you know that 1 psi below recommended pressure equals a 1.6% loss of tire load capacity?

Here is an example of why everyone needs to read everything about tire inflation. When tire manufacturers are writing something about a subject they will take the stance that you know about that subject and will present it accordingly. (The starting point for tire inflation manipulation is the recommended cold pressures depicted on the tire placard).

http://www.goodyearautoservice.com/c...e=TirePressure

In this one your going to find an industry standard that says, in part, NEVER use less inflation pressure than recommended on the tire inflation label.

http://www.trucktires.com/bridgeston.../WeighForm.pdf