Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2015, 05:12 PM   #1
Chuckers

5 gal gas cans?

Hello,
I have a 2015 f150 xlt with towing package. It only has a 23 gallon gas tank. We have mostly gone on short trips and get between 9 - 11 mpg. Is it legal to have a couple of 5 gallon gas tanks in the bed of the truck while traveling? We are planning a trip from Pa. to New Orleans this coming spring and don't want to be stopping every couple of hours for fuel.

Thank you.
Chuckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:52 PM   #2
bmach

What would the difference be, stopping to buy gas or stopping to dump gas out of the five gallon cans? I would just stop and buy gas.
bmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:53 PM   #3
hankaye

Chuckers, Howdy;

Whether you are putting the gas in from a 5 gal. jug or the nozzle of a
pump you still have to pull over somewhere to do it. Might as well make
it a pleasant stop for your traveling companion as well. Unless you've
figured out how to add the gas while traveling along the highway ...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:00 PM   #4
Steve S

I think that it would be easier to find a gas station then a place to pull over also you wouldn't want to be doing this on the side of a rd with traffic
Also if you spill it you'll stink while driving
The main thing that I thought about was at some point you'll have to pull over to refill them right
Old 12-12-2015, 06:10 PM   #5
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckers View Post
Hello,
I have a 2015 f150 xlt with towing package. It only has a 23 gallon gas tank. We have mostly gone on short trips and get between 9 - 11 mpg. Is it legal to have a couple of 5 gallon gas tanks in the bed of the truck while traveling? We are planning a trip from Pa. to New Orleans this coming spring and don't want to be stopping every couple of hours for fuel.

Thank you.
I would plan on making stops at gas stations, but I think it is wise to carry extra fuel to expand your options in unfamiliar territory.

Expensive, but the RotoPax fuel container option is a good one.

www.rotopax.com
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:02 PM   #6
gearhead

Yeah, if I were you I might do it. But maybe just one. Just secure them well. Be a bit interesting hitting a big bump and having 87 octane spilling on the catalytic converter.
I can't think of a law against it down here, Pennsylvania, I dunno.
But if you are running the interstates, there are plenty of gas stations down south.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:26 PM   #7
rnkburg

Rotopax is awesome. Another thing to think about. Will the plastic nozzle open the "no gas cap" cap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:03 PM   #8
Ken / Claudia

I have always carried extra gas or diesel or both. Normally 1, 5 gal can. Camping I need fuel for the genny, chain saw. Sometimes seeing a sign that says next fuel xxx miles while just traveling in the back country. I feel having a little extra fuel is smart. Check to see if any tunnels you may go thru have restrictions on carrying fuel or propane outside of the vehicle. I have been told by friends traveling in Eastern states have seen signs stating some means of transporting fuel or propane can be illegal thru tunnels.
Last month I rolled my truck onto the drivers side while elk hunting. I strap the fuel down and they were the only things left it the bed and never lost a drop of fuel. The trucks fuel cap also held the diesel in the tank it was carrying about 30 gals.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 02:47 AM   #9
Chuckers

Thanks for all the info. Yes, probably be just as easy to find a gas station. Behind the back seat there is a funnel for pouring gas. Came with the truck. Good advice about carrying extra too.

Ken / Claudia --- sorry about your truck. Hope everyone is ok.
Chuckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:24 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. Yes, probably be just as easy to find a gas station. Behind the back seat there is a funnel for pouring gas. Came with the truck.
That red funnel that came with the truck is the only one I've found that will push open the "trap door" that's inside the filler pipe and stay in an upright position. If you've ever used it you know that it's a very narrow funnel with a small throat. Pretty much what that means is that for every gallon of gas that you can get into the tank, there's likely to be at least the same amount that spills out onto the ground, your pants and the side of the truck. It's an "emergency device" at best and after using it one time, I decided not to carry 5 gallon fuel cans to "extend my range". Now, if you're caught between "no place" and "no gas", it's better than nothing, but I think if you try it, you'll also "opine" that it's not an "every day convenience" to refuel.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:24 AM   #11
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
That red funnel that came with the truck is the only one I've found that will push open the "trap door" that's inside the filler pipe and stay in an upright position. If you've ever used it you know that it's a very narrow funnel with a small throat. Pretty much what that means is that for every gallon of gas that you can get into the tank, there's likely to be at least the same amount that spills out onto the ground, your pants and the side of the truck. It's an "emergency device" at best and after using it one time, I decided not to carry 5 gallon fuel cans to "extend my range". Now, if you're caught between "no place" and "no gas", it's better than nothing, but I think if you try it, you'll also "opine" that it's not an "every day convenience" to refuel.
What purpose besides inconvenience does this progressive, trap door mod serve?
Old 12-13-2015, 10:53 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
What purpose besides inconvenience does this progressive, trap door mod serve?
It is the "capless gas cap". There is a "fixture" in place of the "unscrewable" gas cap with a "trap door" in it. Rather than removing the gas cap, you simply insert the pump fuel nozzle into the "trap door" and refuel. There is also an "anti-siphon gadget" deeper inside that "capless gas cap" that prevents someone from "stealing your gas".... That "red funnel" is the only way you can get a 5 gallon gas can plastic nozzle deep enough into the "capless gas cap" to open both of the "trap doors"....

It's not as complicated as my description makes it seem, but without that red funnel, you can't get gas to flow into the tank because both trap doors won't open..... The funnel is about 10" long, about 5/8" on the little end and about 2.5" on the big end. That's not a lot of space to "pour (spill) fuel" for it to flow from a 5 gallon can and end up inside the truck's tank conveniently. It'll work in an emergency, but it's not convenient enough to use for "roadside refueling"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-13-2015, 12:29 PM   #13
Desert185

I've seen that on rental cars. Sounds like another case of too much college and not enough high school.

Thanks for the explanation.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:01 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

No problem. My first experience with the "gadget" was on our 2010 F150. It seemed a PITA, but did help with not having to remove the gas cap and reinstalling it "properly"... Yeah, I know, how hard can that be? but you'd be surprised at the number of times that "gas cap light" came on, which is (I guess) why Ford decided to eliminate the "human factor" from that part of the emissions technology and "engineer out" the removable gas cap.

I always thought that "red plastic" funnel was a "cheap shot" at fixing the problem of not being able to add fuel on the side of the road. And, honestly, "clipped to the top of the jack handle packet" (under the rear seat) is not my idea of a "clean, loss proof" way to store a red plastic funnel. Mine always seemed to get muddy (from the dog when duck hunting), sandy (from the kids coming back from the beach) or from me (throwing crap in on top of it), not to mention adding the smell of gas to the cabin if it was used for the intended purpose....

I agree, way too much "college" in the design/implementation of that bit of "the better idea".....

ADDED: Here are some pictures of the funnel and use. If you can imagine holding a 5 gallon gas can (40 lbs) and trying to hit that little hole without spilling gas or overfilling the funnel..... Not an easy task, at least it wasn't for me..... Add in those "new fangdangled" gas can spouts that need to be pushed in for gas to flow, and you've got an "impossible situation" while standing on the side of the road trying to add gas (because you only have a 26 gallon tank)...........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ford fuel funnel1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	9798   Click image for larger version

Name:	ford fuel funnel2.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	9799  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-13-2015, 07:43 PM   #15
Desert185

I haven't run into a situation yet where this didn't work. I avoid pouring gas with normal gas cans.

http://www.kotulas.com/deals/Product..._content=46662
Old 12-14-2015, 07:33 PM   #16
Nagrompj

Now just imagine if you live in the North East, you may not remember the last time you seen a gas can with a spout like the one pictured. (Ever wander why a 10 year old gas can cost $50 on ebay.) We are not trusted to NOT spill enough gas, so they give us help with gas cans you can't fill a mower without spilling more gas than you get in the mower. Spill proff my a$$. I think you would get more gas in the tank if you pored it on the ground, cleaned it up with a rag and squeezed the rag into the funnel.

And we can't be trusted to pump gas and NOT steal it, so every pump lane is pointed at the cash register so they can watch you. But you can't get your trailer to the pump. (Drive by gas pumps are a thing of the past)

When I towed with a 05 F-150 I had the same concern and always took 2 5 gal cans with me. Just because I could find a gas station didn't mean I could get to the pump. Not a problem if you stay on the interstate, but who wants to do that.
Nagrompj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:43 PM   #17
CaptnJohn

What was/is Ford thinking?

Why put a 23 gallon tank on any truck especially one with a towing package? I had a 2015 F150 and loved it most of the time but when time to tow I really disliked it as I knew every 150 miles I needed to start looking for a gas station that was easy to get to the pumps with the trailer. I know a trip out west would never work without some extra fuel. Tomorrow I'll see what the 2016 F250 diesel does from the dealer home with a new 5er behind. Diesel will get better mileage towing and has a 35 gallon tank. I thought about the cans, then a bladder like boaters use, and an expensive in bed tank, but just kept going to the stations.

Quote:
Hello,

Thank you.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:07 AM   #18
TonyCO

I agree the small tank is ridiculous. FYI you can get a larger tank. I have a 2014 Max Tow F150 with a 36 gallon tank that makes towing a lot easier.
TonyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:09 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Why put a 23 gallon tank on any truck especially one with a towing package? ...
It's probably a compromise between a "reasonable payload capability and a reasonable cruise range". With Chucker's 26' 6800 pound GVW trailer, he's probably towing a hitch weight that's fairly close to his max. Adding another 100-200 pounds of fuel may put the truck in a "limited payload" situation and change some of the "available bragging rights" from Ford.

It's very easy to just "stick a 50 gallon tank" in most any truck, but when all the other factors are considered and the "build compromises" are actually applied, payload cuts are made across the entire range from thickness of rotors to weight of windshields. There's got to be a good reason all three manufacturers have "about the same size tank" in all their half ton lineup. My guess is to keep the weight down and payload up. I could be wrong......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-15-2015, 04:17 AM   #20
trueweb

Look on ebay for VP 5 Gallon Racing Gas Cans. Make sure you get one that includes the cap and hose. They run under $40 each and don't have annoying caps. You can get them in many colors, so you can mix and match as needed; red for your generator gas, green/yellow for your diesel, clear for your dirt bike pre-mix, blue for water, etc... There are many holders for these you can bolt into your truck bed or toy hauler garage that keep them from tipping.
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote