Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2015, 01:44 PM   #21
CWtheMan

This is a verbatim quote from a major tire manufacturer.

"Rim dimensions are standardized by The Tire and Rim Association for size and contour only, and particular tire and rim combinations are designated to assure proper mounting and fit of the tire to the rim. The load and cold inflation pressure imposed on the rim and wheel must not exceed the rim and wheel manufacturer’s recommendations even though the tire may be approved for a higher load or inflation. Rims and wheels may be identified (stamped) with a maximum load and maximum cold inflation rating. For rims and wheels not so identified or for service conditions exceeding the rated capacities, consult the rim and wheel manufacturer to determine rim and wheel capacities for the intended service".
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:49 PM   #22
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVMIII View Post
Thanks for the info. Without confirmation from the rim itself, I have reached the conclusion that I have

T03-66866BM** 16x6 8/6.5 +0 4.90 3580 @ 100 PSI

My local tire guy says he would not hesitate putting a F or G rated tire on this rim.

Brent, why would you need to change rims to run the Carlisle's? If you run F load (235/85 16) per the Carlisle website needs a 6" rim and 95psi.

Obviously I have more research to do. Thanks again.
When I spoke to the rep at Sendel, he recommended a higher rated wheel on my RV. His explanation is that an aluminum wheel goes through flexing similar to an aluminum can. If it is flexed too much, sooner or later if it will crack just like a can that has been bent back and forth many times. The crack typically takes place where the spoke meets the hub. In the case of a T03 on a 15,500 lb RV he said, in his opinion, it is too light of a wheel and will fail sooner rather than later. So just as many people want a tire with some reserve weight capacities, a wheel with similar reserve weight capacities is also recommended.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:23 PM   #23
EVMIII

Copy that, I wasn't thinking that you are about 4K lbs heavier than I am. Sounds like you have a good plan.