Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2015, 02:31 PM   #1
arwenmark

Just realized my tires are original

So last winter I bought a 2004 Keystone Sprinter 30 foot. We towed it home and it has sat in the yard since then, no trips.
Now we are moving from MA to WV and so need to take the trailer there. So I looked at my tires and guess what? They were made the 24th week of 2004.

So today I ordered new tires and aluminum wheels ST225/75R E rated.

They are Kenda tires and I am hoping for the best.

I am still amazed that it had the original tires from 2004 on it.

So far since we bought it we have replaced the toilet with a ADA approved one,
Just redid the Roof with Liquid Rubber Roof, great stuff, and now all new tires and wheels. and we have yet to got anywhere or camp in it.

Luckily, I have found a storage yard for it in WV for a very resonable price.
arwenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:51 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

It's to bad but, I think that is fairly common about the tires. Back in 2009 a young co worker asked me alot about RVs. He never had one and wanted a used trailer. He went in with another couple to buy a used TT. I told him along with other stuff to check the tire date codes. He purchased it and told me the tire were 10 or 12 years old same as trailer. I told him to change them out before use. He got 3/4 way to hunting camp and blew out 2 tires and missed opening day. Another friend has a real nice 24ft fishing boat made in 1996. We got ready to go fishing last summer and he has a flat in the driveway. I helped him get it fixed, it was new in 1996, and still had tread so, he thought they were all good. He did listen and got new tires.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:45 AM   #3
bsmith0404

It's probably more common than many people realize. Often RVs don't get towed much. I know many people who set them up seasonal just a few miles from their home. The tires don't really get used so they have a lot of tread left and people think they're good to go. I have to admit, if I only towed mine 20-30 miles per year, I probably wouldn't give the tires much thought either.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:08 PM   #4
arwenmark

I am just glad they made it the 250 mile trip home in the snow. I also wish I had thought about it and noticed sooner as we are trying to pack and move permanently to retirement place we bought in 2010 in West Virginia. We want to make last trip there Nov. 30.

So in addition to getting stuff down on three separate trips, 26' ft rental trucks we also have to transport the trailer, So there is tons of stuff to do and little help and money to do it.

the new wheels and tires should be here tomorrow.
arwenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

On the other side of old tires. Another friend purchased a sail boat from the east coast, we live in Oregon. After having paid for a boat inspection, he had a company trailer it here. The driver phoned him and said the tires where to old, not wore out to travel across the US. So, it likely saved him time and money to get the new tires (5 including the spare) on it before the trip started. Instead of dealing with blow outs and maybe damage.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote