Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
rev114

361LEV landing gear again!

So, I am heading to Bristol on Thursday and was getting the camper all set this weekend and when I went to run the landing gear out to lift the 5er for hook up all I get is clicks from the motor.

No - its not batteries (I got a par or Trojan 6Vs). I put my load tester on it and I am heating the load coil to red hot and the battery stays at 12V. I get the same thing if I use the remote or the switch on the camper.

I used my front end loader to lift up the front and then run the gear out (they work fine without a load).... hooked it to my truck and dropped it off at the dealer for them to get busy on monday morning.

I think my landing gear "gears" are just to hard to turn or something.... thoughts?
1985 Cris Craft Scorpion (two 300HP Chevy 350's)
rev114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
Maxzd

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev114 View Post
So, I am heading to Bristol on Thursday and was getting the camper all set this weekend and when I went to run the landing gear out to lift the 5er for hook up all I get is clicks from the motor.

No - its not batteries (I got a par or Trojan 6Vs). I put my load tester on it and I am heating the load coil to red hot and the battery stays at 12V. I get the same thing if I use the remote or the switch on the camper.

I used my front end loader to lift up the front and then run the gear out (they work fine without a load).... hooked it to my truck and dropped it off at the dealer for them to get busy on monday morning.

I think my landing gear "gears" are just to hard to turn or something.... thoughts?
Hmmm... With everything you describe and all the troubleshooting you did to figure out what is not the issue it sounds like the motor is the problem under load. Be interesting to hear exactly what they find.. Not a fun discovery hope they fix it quickly and reasonable..

My father-in-law three weeks ago had an interesting thing happen with his front landing gear. Raising the unit it all of a sudden stops. Blown Fuse. Replaces it, same thing.. Tries both methods remote and switch same problem. First thought was it's something serious. Turns out the factory ran his wiring really poorly and when raising the 5th wheel the wire loom pinches itself into the gearing. On the way down no problem. Wore thru the wire and it shorted out on metal. I have the same unit, completely different way they ran my wiring.. You'd think it was a different model based on how it's setup.

Hope it all gets straightened out for you...

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
rev114

Thanks for the reply - as I said, I have already been thru a landing gear failure that involved replacing my wiring harness (see previous post here: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1594 )

I am convinced we did not find the problem last time and it was dumb of me to forget about for the winter!
Old 03-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
rev114

The deal tell me that the driver side jackscrew has broken something and that is causing the motor to skip teeth... Long story short - they are waiting for Keystone to tell them if its covered (they said it is an email process.... because Keystone dosn't answer the phone - even when a dealer calls!

More to follow
Old 03-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
rev114

Keystone is going to pay to fix it! The Jackscrew assembly needed to be changed (and the dealer found a supplier in Dayton with the parts so he was able to get the parts and replace them today.... then he said the motor was still drawing to much current so they are replacing the motor in the morning and I will get the camper back tomorrow evening.... leaving for the Bristol NASCAR race thursday morning!

More to follow!
Old 03-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
Maxzd

Quote:
Keystone is going to pay to fix it! The Jackscrew assembly needed to be changed (and the dealer found a supplier in Dayton with the parts so he was able to get the parts and replace them today.... then he said the motor was still drawing to much current so they are replacing the motor in the morning and I will get the camper back tomorrow evening.... leaving for the Bristol NASCAR race thursday morning!

More to follow!
Wow so harness, motor and jackscrew All replaced. Thats a major repair. Glad it doesn't cut into your time in Bristol, enjoy.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
jje1960

Smile Bristol

Quote:

You all do the August Bristol? I'll be at Farmer Bob's for the week in August, would be nice to meet up with a Forum member. I'll be the guy with a beer in his hand....next 2 a 12' Pool relaxing....
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
rev114

Got it back from the dealer today.... so here is the postmortum. At the top of the jackscrew posts is a c-shaped pin the keeps the jackscrew in place. The driverside c-pin had slipped out partway(or had always been out). They didn't catch it the first two times because that side requires you drop the generator (or so the dealer said) to get it out. With that pin partially out the jackscrew could wobble, requiring alot more torque to turn it - hence the earlier blown fuses. It finally knock off a few teeth and that made things much worse. So, they replace both legs and jackscrews. Then during the testing they found it was still running slow so they checked out the motor further. Turns out the motor was drawing 38 amps (and had several stator flat spots). So they replaced the motor. Now it is drawing 22 amps (which makes the 30 amp fuse seem like a good choice!) They also took care of the recall (tighten the lugs on the power transfer box). All covered under warranty (bought it in October last year) .

As for Bristol, I stay at Mike Bos Campground (about 1/2 mile from the track and would love to share a beverage with anyone from the forum at any race (I camp at both Bristols, both Richmonds, both Dovers, and the fall Talladega - probably after this year I will also camp at Kentucky)

PM me and I will share cell numbers