Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
KenBob

Do you trust the OEM tires?

After premature tire failures on the OEM tires on all our previous towables, I am planning on replacing them on our new fivers. Putting Maxxis on our CrossRoads and likely GoodYear G614s on the Fuzion 360. I think its cheap insurance to replace a "perfectly good set of tires" with tires that have excellent reviews and thousands of miles of trouble free RVing. I am sure there will be those who will mention all the care procedures for trailer tires. From past experiences, the odds are against the No-Name tires on the CR and the Carlisles on the Fuzion. The stories of multiple tire failures and the cost of damage to an RV from a single failed tire are hard to ignore. I have too much invested to trust tires that have a bad reputation NOT to make upgrades to the items that ultimately carry our vacation, our toys, our FUN!
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
chuck&gail

Tires

IMHO you did the right thing. Towed over 180,000 miles so far with no tire troubles except a few repairable nail holes. I do not use Chinese tires on road going vehicles. Sure has worked for me.
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBob View Post
After premature tire failures on the OEM tires on all our previous towables, I am planning on replacing them on our new fivers. Putting Maxxis on our CrossRoads and likely GoodYear G614s on the Fuzion 360. I think its cheap insurance to replace a "perfectly good set of tires" with tires that have excellent reviews and thousands of miles of trouble free RVing. I am sure there will be those who will mention all the care procedures for trailer tires. From past experiences, the odds are against the No-Name tires on the CR and the Carlisles on the Fuzion. The stories of multiple tire failures and the cost of damage to an RV from a single failed tire are hard to ignore. I have too much invested to trust tires that have a bad reputation NOT to make upgrades to the items that ultimately carry our vacation, our toys, our FUN!

If you were unhappy with the tires found on your new trailers why in the world did you sign for them and take on the added expense of having to change them out? You had the leverage to get the manufacturer to agree to acceptable changes prior to signing on the dotted line.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
KenBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
If you were unhappy with the tires found on your new trailers why in the world did you sign for them and take on the added expense of having to change them out? You had the leverage to get the manufacturer to agree to acceptable changes prior to signing on the dotted line.

CW
You know, CW, it did not occur to me to consider asking the manufacturer to put on decent tires. Live and learn. The added expense, however, is small compared to dealing with numerous OEM tire failures.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
ftwildernessguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck&gail View Post
IMHO you did the right thing. Towed over 180,000 miles so far with no tire troubles except a few repairable nail holes. I do not use Chinese tires on road going vehicles. Sure has worked for me.
Your assumption is that Maxxis and Goodyear tires are not made in China. Not true. Maxxis tires are manufactured in Taiwan, which may not be mainland China but is China nonetheless. Goodyear manufactures tires all over the world, including China. Just because the name sounds American doesn't mean the product is.

In addition, just because it is made in China doesn't mean it is junk. I run Kenda tires on my motorscooter, made in Taiwan. Kenda is a highly respected name in performance motorcycle, bicycle and motorscooter tires.
ftwildernessguy is offline   Reply With Quote