Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
jje1960

First Trip

Well, de-winterized this past weekend, ready for the first long weekend of the year coming up. New unit is ready to go, have taken a few steps to ensure no freezing problems. Going to Upstate NY for long weekend, it's going to be below 32 so have left the furnace on 45, put a small porcelain heater in the main under storage and turned the hotwater heater on. Also going to wrap some insulation around the low water points exposed below the covered under carriage. Have the new Boliy in the back of the truck for power until we can plug into a shore line... so, think we are all set. Imagine we will put a whoop'in on some propane but don't care!
Old 02-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
Handysam

Yes, sounds like you're all set. We were able to get out last weekend, had a couple of frosty mornings, but during the day on Saturday it got to 55 degrees, which felt like 80 this time of year. Had no problems with frozen pipes, the basement stayed a balmy 44 degrees on those chilly nights. Had a good fire Saturday night only to wake up sunday morning with some sleet and freezing rain. But like you said, I did not care we were camping. There was one couple in a pop up, one group in tent's, and 2 other campers. It just felt good to get out. Have a great weekend and be safe, Happy Camping, Sam
Old 03-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
jje1960

Temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handysam View Post
Yes, sounds like you're all set. We were able to get out last weekend, had a couple of frosty mornings, but during the day on Saturday it got to 55 degrees, which felt like 80 this time of year. Had no problems with frozen pipes, the basement stayed a balmy 44 degrees on those chilly nights. Had a good fire Saturday night only to wake up sunday morning with some sleet and freezing rain. But like you said, I did not care we were camping. There was one couple in a pop up, one group in tent's, and 2 other campers. It just felt good to get out. Have a great weekend and be safe, Happy Camping, Sam
Awesome, you got out! If I may ask, what was your low temp? I imagine your unit has the same polar package as ours, I thinking about wrapping some insulation around the low water points that are exposed.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
Handysam

Friday night was above freezing, or right at it. Saturday night a cold front went through in the early morning hours and it was around 27 degrees. I wasn't too concerned on this trip because, when we first got the unit in October we planned a Thanksgiving weekend trip here locally and it was downright cold. So for the heck of it I wanted to see how the unit would do in the cold and I stuck a thermometer in the basement storage area for the three nights there for my own piece of mind and curiosity. The first night it got down to 34 outside and 49 in the basement, second night 27 outside, and 45 in the basement, third night 24 outside and 42 in the basement. Now if I were going to stay longer with temps. similar or even colder, I think then I would take some more drastic measures.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:26 PM   #5
Maxzd

Yup have the propane ready, we used 2 tanks in same temperatures for less than a week. How much is propane out east. Best price in Washington state I found is 2.86 a gallon.

Handysam good thinking with the basement storage thermometer. I will have to give that a try in the future see the difference..

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Old 03-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
jje1960

Propane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxzd View Post
Yup have the propane ready, we used 2 tanks in same temperatures for less than a week. How much is propane out east. Best price in Washington state I found is 2.86 a gallon.

Handysam good thinking with the basement storage thermometer. I will have to give that a try in the future see the difference..
I have not filled them yet, but up at Southern States it's on par with Walmart exchange for our 20Ibs tanks. sooo that's like well over $4.00/per. I have a small porcelain heater in the storage bay and have wrapped insulation around the low water points... it's supposed to be in the teens this coming weekend up in Upstate where we are going. Leaving tomorrow evening, will post come Monday when we get home if there is any problems!
Old 03-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
Handysam

Interesting......................
Old 03-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
jje1960

Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handysam View Post
Interesting......................
Indeed... funny how it magically disappeared as well. Read once how censorship authority leads so naturally into abuse of power....
Old 03-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
Handysam

Agree...... I thought the whole point of this forum is to trade thoughts and ideas as to what works, what doesn't, how it works, and so on. Anyway, I hope you did have a great first trip out, and I'm sure members would be interested (including myself) as to how your trip went. For those who are not interested, they won't read it and move on. This is America. We get the chance to go again this weekend with some friends here locally, weather should be good and no temps below freezing. Happy Camping,Sam
Old 03-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Censorship? Abuse of power? For your information, the post which "magically disappeared" was a Private Message that I sent to jje 1960. It was sent to him with the expectation and understanding that its contents would remain "private" and not be shared with the rest of the membership. That is the function and intent of the the Private Message feature of this forum - to be able to privately correspond with another member. To me, "private" means removed from public view and not for public use. For whatever reason, jje 1960 chose to post my Private Message to him on the forum. He obviously did not agree with its contents and decided to "go public" with it.

You are correct Handysam, when you say that "the whole point of the forum is to trade thoughts and ideas as to what works, what doesn't, how it works and so on".
All of the trading of those thoughts and ideas goes on here - in public- in our posts. They are open for all of our members to read and to share. Private Messages, on the other hand, are not open and not for sharing and I would expect as a common courtesy that all members, including jje 1960, would respect that. That is the reason why this post was deleted - not because of any "abuse of power" or "censorship" - but because his decision to post it showed a lack of common courtesy and lack of respect for another member's privacy.

As a Moderator of this forum, I have not and will not share many Private Messages that I have received from various members of this forum. Members who have sent me Private Messages expect that they will, in fact, be kept private.

The Moderators of this forum will continue to delete any Private Message that appears as a post on this forum. It is unfortunate that some see this as "censorship leading so naturally into abuse of power".
Old 03-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #11
Flyguy

To all:

Please read and abide by the forum rules, the forum rules (including PM courtesys) are not open for discussion or debate so let's end this silliness now!
Timbrens
Closed Thread