Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #1
rrohrer

normal/expected fridge cool down time?

I am unable to park my Rv at my house level enough to run fridge. I usually start fridge right before leaving or at most two-three hrs before leaving. I know it takes some time to cool down initially, but never paid attention to exactly how long it takes. My guess 4-6hrs. Last time out it took nearly a day. One thought I had is that it may not have been running correctly on the propane during my commute- though the light wasn't blinking. JUst wondred if others noticed initial cool down times. outdoior temps were upper 70's-low80's. Is this a sign fridge is on fritz? once cold it was ice cold and ran fine. it was just the long time it took to get there that worried me.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:33 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Most try to start the fridge the day or night before leaving. Two or three hours really isn't enough time for it to cool down sufficiently.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
rrohrer

i was worried cause of not being level at the house? how long is too long to run it like that?
Old 06-10-2014, 07:50 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If the RV is "comfortably level" to sleep in, then it's probably OK for the refrigerator operation. But, if you're climbing uphill and downhill in the RV, then it's not good for the refrigerator. The problem is the anticorrosive additives in the ammonia system are a powder and if the RV isn't "somewhat level" those powders will deposit in the "uphill parts" of the return system and form crystals which will cause the liquid ammonia not to flow properly. When that happens, the reefer loses efficiency and the corrosive effects of the ammonia sitting in those "nooks and crannies" causes premature failure and leakage. It's really hard to say how long is too long to be "off level" but I'd prefer not to even find out.

The older refrigerators (60's - 80's) were extremely sensitive to "off level" operation. Now, essentially, if the RV is comfortable to sleep in, it's OK for reefer operation.

As for cooldown time, an empty refrigerator, one that was just turned on and loaded with warm contents or one that hasn't been previously cooled down can take upwards of a full day to cool down. If you must load and leave immediately after turning on the refrigerator, load it with frozen foods, cold foods and delay putting any warm sodas/beer etc until after it has cooled down completely.

Maybe using an ice chest for those things you can't precool would help ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote