Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
Ruffus

Thumbs up 3000 Mile Shake Down Cruise

Just got back from a trip to Beautiful North East Kansas for DW's family reunion. After reading all the negative posts and problems that so many have with their Keystone RV's I was a little apprehensive. I am happy to report that after nine wonderful days and nights in our 360QDS, the only complaint I have is about the lousy fuel mileage (9.6 MPG) that my F250 Diesel got. All systems worked perfectly and only a small amount of blood was spilt when I stood up under the bedroom slideout. It did bring out the stars a little early. Can't wait until the next road trip when I will make sure that the tires are filled to max pressure and the top speed will be lowered to around 60 MPH. Now the mods come after hearing the water pump and trying to figure out why the refridgerator doesn't like to cool on gas mood. Minor stuff.
Happy travels all!!!!
Jim B (Florida)
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
antiqfreq

Jim & Sharon,

Glad you enjoyed your expanded trip.

We are going into month 5 in our fulltiming from.
We've gone from So. Fla to San Fran, CA so far.

Don't even know how many miles pulling the trailer- but it is a lot.

We've been through FL, GA, AL, MS, LA, TX, NM, CO, AZ, UT, & CA.

Lots of good times & lots of miles. Our mileage is about 10.5 - 11 MPG.
(Depends on the mountain......ha ha ha) DH tries to keep it at about 63 MPH.

No 'real' problems with camper but the FORD has been to the dealership for something or other every month we've been gone - except this one - 9 days to go!

Jody
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Jim, Glad to hear you had a good trip. My fuel mileage drops off drastically over 65 also, but I won't mention mpg to avoid a "Dodge vs. Ford" thingy. I don't have a bedroom slide but I know if I did I would tangle with it too.
Good luck with the fridge, Hank

Oh .... What the heck .... 14.8 south bound to your lovely state and 16.8 on the return. 2500mi. round trip. I,m never in a hurry to get back to work.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Hank, you are reneging on your promise of long ago. Now look what you have done! The "thingy" is out of the box. I won't get involved in the "thingy thing" but isn't it downhill in both directions from NJ to FL? If not, I apologize for my lack of knowledge about American geography and topography. Oh yes, you forgot to include Chev/GMC in the "thing".
Old 06-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Oops!!! At my age we tend to forget thingys. Sorry ..... and yes I do try to forget GMs.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
GBHRPS

A GMC guy here. Did someone make a remark recently?

Just returned from a 4 day outing, 700 mile round trip. If you can believe the onboard computer, we averaged 14.2 mpg (I think its Canadian gallons its using, being a Canadian vehicle) but never went over 58 miles per hour.

Gene
GBHRPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBHRPS View Post
A GMC guy here. Did someone make a remark recently?

Just returned from a 4 day outing, 700 mile round trip. If you can believe the onboard computer, we averaged 14.2 mpg (I think its Canadian gallons its using, being a Canadian vehicle) but never went over 58 miles per hour.

Gene
There you go ..... That's what I was trying to say ...... No matter what TV you have it seems that speed has the biggest effect on towing mileage. ...... I'm not sure I got myself out of this one, but speed and head winds seemed to effect my trucks more than hills on total mileage. And I love it when the overhead says 39mpg on a long downgrade.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
Firecapt

Jim,

I ghosted the many RV forums for years before we finally bought our 5er. One thing I realized very quickly was that there tends to be a predominance of problems, negative comments about a particular brand, and enough fix-it issues to put you off RV'ing forever.

We purchased our unit and thanks to ghosting the forums for years did a very comprehensive PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection).

To date, we have only had minor issues with our 5er and that's after about 10,000 miles and 4 years on our coach.

All the people that have positive experiences with their RV's rarely post, it's all the problems you hear about.

Glad to hear you had a positive first trip and hope you have many more. Just remember, you now own a house on wheels and since it is exposed to torques, bumps, and many things our stick houses aren't exposed to, problems will develop. But that's why you are here, because we can help you through whatever issues develop and celebrate your good times too

2007 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS
Frank, Martha, & Ryan

"Happy Trails to you 'till we meet again"
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:21 AM   #9
Ruffus

Talking Reactions are wonderful

Thank you all for the replys and humorus jabs. Since we are going to be living in this unit for a year or more I read all these forums carefully and I really appreciate the information and all the thingy's that pop up such as bragging rights. I'm going to do some more fine tuning before we actually move into the unit full time but I only have a few more weeks before that happens. Thanks for the responces.
Jim
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote