Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2013, 04:48 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

A front hitch is "nice" for "seeing your bikes" and for "getting them off the rear bumper" but if you live in the south, you might want to remember the "plight of the lovebugs" before you install them "up front." Each bike could easily weigh a couple of pounds more when you get to your destination and all of that weight would be "slimy black goo" <YECHT>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #22
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
A front hitch is "nice" for "seeing your bikes" and for "getting them off the rear bumper" but if you live in the south, you might want to remember the "plight of the lovebugs" before you install them "up front." Each bike could easily weigh a couple of pounds more when you get to your destination and all of that weight would be "slimy black goo" <YECHT>
I'm glad we live in Oregon We have our share of bugs, too, but not like in your part of the country. I especially hate the ones that splat on the windshield in an explosion of yellow goo (perhaps bees?). Most of ours, however, are small, but a pain to clean off the front of vehicles, nonetheless. And then, there are the bird droppings . . . . . but that's another story
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #23
homer3

Bike Racks

I own a 327 RES, this MO# has a bumper that slides out and acts as a combo storage space/bike rack. Has anyone utilized this space for carrying bikes while traveling. If so how did you mount them and tie down.

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer3 View Post
I own a 327 RES, this MO# has a bumper that slides out and acts as a combo storage space/bike rack. Has anyone utilized this space for carrying bikes while traveling. If so how did you mount them and tie down.
A number of people have RV's with this feature and a lot of them (not sure if it's the majority or not) have had "nightmares" or "near nightmares" with broken sliding racks, missing bikes, broken rack components, bent frames, and a host of other problems. Do a forum search using "Cougar sliding rack"

This one will get you started: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...r+sliding+rack

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #25
theeyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARTech View Post
I like this idea! Did you have it made or did you buy the hitch? Have you noticed any problems with the bikes hitting your truck or trailer during travel or turning in tight spaces?
This is what we did on our fiver when full-timing--many thousands of miles and loved it. No problems hitting the truck--once you see how they move with the fiver you will see that they can't hit the truck. The bikes are not as wide as the fiver, the fiver will hit before the bikes. So if the fiver clears, the bikes will. We just had a friend take a standard receiver, weld an easy bracket to bolt to the pin box and then used an off the rack bike rack. There's lots of instructions on the "biggie" forum.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #26
Branky

OK I will bite.
"Biggie forum"??
Victoria, BC, Canada
Proudly Rving since 1978
Branky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:45 AM   #27
kiwi2000

We went with item 49401 http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...unt-rack/49401 from camping world for our two bikes.
There are pages of happy campers reviews on the site.

It seems well made.

There are no horror stories on the site reviews.

I like it that hitch comes off in seconds and we can put it on the truck if we are going to the park or something and want to bring the bikes.

Only complaint the small hole for a lock.
kiwi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote