Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
John R

Fifth wheel tailgates

I am looking at buying a tailgate to use with my fifth wheel. I am told that this will increase my gas milage. I have also told it won't. It looks like it would be easier to the load the fifth wheel with out dropping the tailgate.
John R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
RdRmr

John R,

The 5TH wheel style tailgate does make it easy to hitch and unhitch, have had one for years. On me previous truck as well. As for getting better milage, not enough to be noticable. What I like about it is you never have to deal with the tailgate. The one I have now is lockable. Happy Campin......

2016 KZ Durango 315RKD
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW, CCLB, 6.7L Cummins, Aisin.
Curt puck legs w/Curt Q16 head
VET/USMC
RdRmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
FireMech

I've been thinking about buying one too. What are some key features to look for in the tailgate? What are the cons to having this style tailgate?
Old 03-04-2013, 04:22 AM   #4
crash

I would like to have one ,but I love my super dutys tail gate step to much too give it up,it makes it so much easier to get up in the back of the bed.just my 2 cents
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

I've had a Stromberg Carlson tailgate on both of my last trucks. My last 5er you had to close the tailgate once the pin was past it or the gate would hit the trailer and the reverse when unhooking. So the 5er gate was almost a necessity. Tailgate up, tailgate down or 5er gate has always been a fuel mileage debate. I personally don't think it makes much difference if any. (The guys at "Myth Busters" Think gate up is better than gate down but did not test 5er gate or have a rolling brick drafting them.)
In short: I find it much easier to hook and unhook, visibility while solo is better and the gate is at least half the weight of the Dodge tailgate so I can carry more "stuff". JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
JeffS

I ask my son about this a number of years ago, auto engineer, and he said that the stock, or solid, tailgate creates an air bubble that actually improves aerodynamics of the truck thus creating some minor mileage improvement. However, his opinion was that when the 5er is hooked up there would not be any mileage advantage.

At my advanced age I have come to learn that convenience has a substantial payback.
Huntley, Illinois
formerly Norton Shores, Michigan
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote