Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2020, 09:22 AM   #1
Tony E

How much weight can a storage floor area take?

Hello again all. I am thinking of doubling my two 6 volt batteries into four and also I want to store them in the front storage bay on my 2018 passport 239 ML. We like to call this area the basement. The basement is the pass through storage area in the front that goes all the way from one side to other. There is lots of room for this and the batteries will fit with no problem but I want to build a sliding shelf so that I can pull the batteries out easily to maintain them. My question is that the batteries weight like 70 lbs each so in that small area of about 3 feet long by 12 inches wide I will have approx. 300lbs and is that safe or when I start hitting bumps on the road will my batteries wreck something? In that area I can see the one by three aluminum supports but just on the wall closest to the inside of the trailer and not on the floor. Underneath the main frame of the trailer passes right there so that should take some stress off. Either way if you have an opinion or any facts that would be great. Thanks for your help
Tony E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:41 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Someone with more familiarity with your model will probably chime in but I would note a coup[le of things. If I were considering doing this, especially on a "lite" trailer, I would cut a piece of 3/4 plywood the size of the entire area of the floor and install it over the existing floor. I think that would add some rigidity to the floor and disperse the weight.

That is an enclosed area and therefore not ventilated for a wet cell flooded battery. You would need to properly ventilate that space or use batteries that do not require ventilation. Those batteries have a markedly increase in cost but also performance and depending on the battery may require a different converter to charge them,

Have you considered 2 six volt batteries on the tongue and and solar panels to charge them. Maybe if you share what your goal is would help with folks giving you suggestions.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:54 AM   #3
Tony E

Hi Flyboy and thanks for the reply. I already have 2x6 volt batteries with a 300 watt solar panel set up. I want to get another 2 more 6 volt batteries so I would have a total of 4. I was going to do what you suggested about the reinforcing the floor but I was going to use a 1 inch piece of wood. When I am using the solar I have my charge controller inside the basement already so I have to keep the side door open a bit for the solar panel cables so it will be vented kind of. My goal is too increase my solar capacity for longer boon docking while securing my batteries and solar set up by being able to lock the doors. Also the tongue weight will be reduced by moving the batteries back a few feet. Any thoughts?
Tony E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

The tongue weight won't be affected very much by moving it a foot or so back. What you are doing now is not venting the space enough for a flooded battery. First leaving the compartment door open is an invitation for critters to come visit. Anything from rodents to snakes could come to visit.

Flooded lead acid batteries produce hydrogen gas when being charged. If a battery has a shorted out plate or exposed plates from low electrolytes that gas can build up rapidly. One spark say from e relay in the controller or even a light switch can cause a very powerful explosion.

So you will need to take a good look at how you can properly vent the space and you need top provide a drain to allow any battery acid from the battery to drain outside. Battery acid id very corrosive and will eat right thru the floor. The wood, insulation, aluminum frame and the steel frame wouldn't stand a chance against it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:16 AM   #5
travelin texans

Couple of things;
They will need to be placed in an acid proof box vented outside, typically top & bottom or as mentioned purchase AGM ( at least twice the price of FLA) or lithium ($1000 each) that don't require venting.
Moving them into basement, which is ahead of the axles, will increase your tongue weight, maybe not equal to the weight of the batteries, but an increase for sure. Plus the weight of the extra flooring & everything else involved with moving them will also add to the tongue weight. So if tongue weight is of that much concern due to truck payload you may need alternative plans.
Also be sure to wire 4-6 volt batteries correctly or you will end up with 24 volts doing damage to the 12 volt system.
Sorry for the repeat! I guess Marshall & I were typing at the same time.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:02 PM   #6
NH_Bulldog

and consider that your bed is directly over that passthrough storage......My DW wouldn’t let me get a minute of sleep if she knew there was a toxic hydrogen bomb in an enclosed space inches from our heads.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, storage