Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2018, 11:00 AM   #1
BigMac1

Tarp over rear bedroom slide out?

I will be in my Outback for the next 7 months. It has a rear slide out bedroom. Looking for your thoughts if I wrapped a brown tarp tightly around the entire slide out? Thought it might protect the seal with the tarp also. It would cover 2 small side windows but I don't see that as a problem.
BigMac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:17 AM   #2
WNY Bullet

Why are you thinking about wrapping it?

Leave it off and enjoy the view!
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:23 AM   #3
Ken / Claudia

You need to think about ventilation, do not trap any moisture in the trailer. If the seals are working now I would not put plastic over it. If the seals fail, get new ones.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:43 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree. If you trap moisture between the tarp and the FILON skin, it'll support mold/algae growth, keep the roof damp and cause the seals to deteriorate faster (as the moisture trapped under the tarp gets heated by the sun every day). There has been some speculation that moisture "superheated by the sun" can cause FILON to delaminate. We've seen several "possible examples" on the forum, so I'd be reluctant to be another "test case".....

I'd spray some seal conditioner (or Aerospace 303) on the seals, leave the slide open to the environment and sweep the leaves/dirt off the roof once a month or so, when you're cleaning the rest of the trailer exterior.

I would suggest tire covers if you're going to be in one place for an extended amount of time. Possibly you might consider jacking the axles to remove weight from the tires, otherwise be sure they are aired to the max sidewall pressure and keep them covered.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:12 PM   #5
Steveo57

I spend the summer months as a campground host, almost six months. I am able to rig up a tarp over the camper that keeps it dry and covered from the weather and the tree sap, pine needles, branches, etc. The tarp is suspended over the trailer by several feet and works well.

Can you just suspend a tarp over the slide instead of wrapping it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2018, 01:24 PM   #6
BigMac1

My thinking was that it would protect the roof of the slide out. It sounds like the moisture would actually do more harm than good. I appreciate all the input.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:27 PM   #7
Steveo57

Or you could put a slide topper on it.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:34 PM   #8
BigMac1

I had considered a slide topper but the Outback has only a few inches to attach anything to. I had a hard time even placing a back up camera in the opening.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:37 PM   #9
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
Or you could put a slide topper on it.

^^^^ This!
We host also, we have been on the Oregon Coast for the last eight months. We have slide toppers on both of out slides and zero leaks.
The last three months we have been at a site 50' from the Pacific, directly open to storms from the West. We have had heavy rains and winds registering 30 mph from the West, and no leaks.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:41 PM   #10
BigMac1

I am fairly new to camping trailers. How do you jack the axles? Would you put a cement block under them once it was raised? I would assume the tires would have to be lifted off the ground to put on tire covers? My Outback is a 2018. Do you think that there is a jack someplace in the camper?
Old 03-25-2018, 01:46 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Jacks for changing tires don’t come with RV’s. You don’t have to get the tires off the ground to put a cover on them.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:06 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

If you are going to be in one place for 7 months, you need to protect the tires from ground moisture by either parking it on 2x8's, plywood or ??? Alternatively, you can "jack and block the trailer" and then jack each axle slightly, place a wooden block under the axle shaft (near the wheel) to keep the tire lifted an inch or so off the ground. Then cover them with tire covers. Or, if you leave them "on 2x8's with full weight on them" then be sure to keep them inflated at maximum pressure and covered.

You don't want to jack the axles and put concrete blocks under the axles with the full weight of the trailer on the concrete blocks. That could (maybe or maybe not) damage the axle shafts with prolonged storage in that condition.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:58 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

I would encourage using tire covers. We have been coming to FL for the last 5 years and THIS year I decided to use tire covers on my new Carlisles.

Here rain comes a lot; it covers the tires in beach sand. They are exposed to the sun all day. Every time before my tires looked terrible; covered in sand, a little bleached looking. This time they looked like brand new tires when I pulled the covers off today to get ready to leave Wednesday. The covers were covered in sand and had mildew on them from all the rain etc. but they were easily cleaned. Much better.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:07 PM   #14
packnrat

do your wrap. just keep a good two inch gap so air can get in and through protect from rain. but the air will help a lot in keeping things dry.
those cheap "blue" tarps are not water tight. but also not pores to allow drying under them.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:06 PM   #15
fjr vfr

We camped for 5 months at a time the last 3 years with an Outback 21RS with a rear slide. We never covered it. The roof on the slide is the same material as the trailer roof. It just needed to be cleaned off before closing it after. It never leaked. It's made to be exposed just like the trailer roof. The reason for a topper is to keep debris off it so you don't need to clean it off before closing it after each use.
I always cover the tires exposed to the sun during the day. The opposite side tires I don't cover. I wouldn't block it up. Keep the tires to proper inflation. If the ground is soft pull the trailer onto some 2x8's or patio blocks like others have said.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, bedroom, slide, slide out