Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2017, 07:26 AM   #1
MiltsBullet

Question 287QBS Trim and A/C Questions

This past weekend I noticed the trim on the slide out was starting to warp/bubble. See picture. I felt around the back side and under it but there was no moisture. I then climbed up on the bed of my truck to see if there were any holes on the slide out roof. Again, I couldn't see anything. I also did not notice any discoloration on the inside of the roof (I thought maybe condensation from the a/c unit dripped on it when the slide was closed). Needless to say, I am at a loss for clues. On an unrelated note, does anyone know where I can get the brown decorative button for the plastic door strap that holds the pocket door locked for traveling? Mine disintegrated and the jack wagons from CW just stuck it back up there and it fell apart again. I contacted Keystone and they promptly referred me to CW And finally, when set to 78 degrees, my A/C unit clicks off and then within 5 seconds comes back on. I think it may be a thermostat issue but I'm not 100 percent sure. TIA...
~Milt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	287QBS Trim.png
Views:	144
Size:	525.7 KB
ID:	12933  
MiltsBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:38 AM   #2
Olsen29

I have not installed yet, but have magnets to secure the pocket door when open or closed I will post pictures when I do it. I broke the bottom of the door guide and I don't like the strap and snap idea anyway. As far as the moisture goes, don't even have an idea.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Olsen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:12 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The fascia around your slide opening (that is attached to the slide and moves in and out with the slide) is not exposed to the elements and should not be getting wet from any "outside moisture". That said, you might consider removing the top part of the fascia to see if there is any damage or water intrusion in the roof structure of the slide. The slide roof, like the trailer roof, is covered with TPO membrane and can have a small pinhole or a slit that's difficult to see without a very careful inspection. Also, the roof of the slide is sealed with DICOR sealant and Eternabond tape where the roof meets the sidewall. It's possible that you have a leak there that's transferring water to the inside fascia. It also may be that there is a manufacturing defect in that piece of trim and you've just now noticed that it's present. Look carefully for water intrusion, if you can't find it, then watch very closely for any additional signs of water damage.

As for the A/C fan stopping/starting, the Dometic A/C operates differently than most other RV air conditioners. With the thermostat fan switch set to high or low, the fan will continuously operate at that speed regardless of the compressor status. BUT: with the fan switch set to AUTO, the fan will initially come on just after the compressor starts in the HIGH setting. Then, when the temperature at the thermostat reaches less than 4 degrees of the setting, the fan will stop (compressor continues to run) and the fan speed will switch to LOW. Then, when the thermostat setting is reached, the compressor will stop, the fan will continue to operate for about 15 seconds to push all the cold air out of the ductwork. This will help prevent moisture from condensing on the cold surfaces and prevent mold formation. Additionally, if, during operation in the AUTO fan mode, the temperature at the thermostat rises above that 4 degree difference, the fan will again stop (the compressor will continue to run), switch back to HIGH and then come back on.

So, listen to the fan and you will hear the very subtle difference in speed and while the fan is momentarily off, you'll continue to hear the compressor running. That is normal operation and nothing to be concerned about.

As for the decorative button, check the specialty hardware section next time you're in Lowe's. They have a number of different "mirror mount buttons", one of which might be what you're looking for.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:13 AM   #4
MiltsBullet

John,
Thanks for the reply. Would you happen to know how to remove the top fascia? The tech made it sound like it would be destroyed if it had to be removed to retract the slide manually. I don't think that's correct though because it doesn't make sense. Thanks.
MiltsBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:34 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If you do a forum search ("SEARCH" tab in the black bar along the top of every forum page) using the term "FASCIA" you'll get two pages of threads on removing, reattaching and adjusting the trim along the slide edges. You can use other terms such as "slide fascia", "slide trim", "removing slide edges" or other terms and many other threads will come up. Pick through them to familiarize yourself with how to remove the fascia and then also choose which method to reattach the fascia would work best for the way you want to proceed.

Here's a couple of topics that might answer your question:
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ghlight=fascia
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...=fascia&page=2

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #6
MiltsBullet

Good to go. Thank you!