Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2015, 05:06 PM   #21
TomHaycraft

Diagrams have king pin at top, as though you are looking down on trailer from above.

On left, depths at first 4,700 miles, majority of miles were pulled by my 1/2 ton truck and trailer was level. Inner (medial for those in the medical field) side of left rear tire was the worst at 5/32. That is the location I believe most in need of alignment. Right rear had equal reduction inner/outer tread depth, not sure what to make of that.

Diagram on the right side, 3,700 miles after the rotation that left rear is now left front and difference in tread depth is equalizing.

Since May, I've been pulling with the 3500HD and a bit nose up. No difference in pressure or temp front to rear.
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:34 AM   #22
bsmith0404

Next steps in the above blow out story ...

A question first: Where should my expectations for ST trailer tires be, in terms of wear and life? Is it realistic to expect 15 to 20,000 miles with +/- 1/32 across the face of the tread? Does a spread-axle set up quicken the wear with each axle farther from the pivot point? (ok, more than one question!)
even tire wear can and should be expected if alignment and inflation pressures are correct. Based on your diagram of wear I have concerns of both. Wear on one side of a tire indicates an alignment issue. More wear on both edges vs the center of the tire indicate low air pressure. You say you always keep your pressures at max, which makes me wonder about the load on each tire. Have you taken it to the scales and weighed each axle separately to check load vs load rating? I often adjust my air pressures based on wear pattern. Center wear=pressure too high, outside wear=pressure too low.

Second quandary: Is it possible to tell visually, without measurements, that the axles are bad? In particular, the axles don't have a slight bow or arc, but are straight.
A visual inspection can give you some indication of axle condition, such as the absence of a slight bow or arc that they should have. A check with a string and tape measure is easy to do and will tell you more. Have someone help you and run a string across the front and rear of each tire to check the toe. A string works well because its easier to hold at the edge of the tread, pull tight and mark at the edge of the tread on the other tire. I mark the string with a sharpie when I measure across the front side of the tire, making it very easy to see where the mark is when you go across the back side of the tire. To avoid confusion you can use a different string for each axle or a different color sharpie. A tape measure checking the clearance of the axle at different points will tell you how much bow it has. Then a call to the manufacturer will verify if the axle bow is within spec.

I ask the question about axles, as that is the first thing I was told when calling the RV repair shop (large operation, not CW, insurance indicated one of their preferred shops ... for what that's worth) to follow up on the estimate for repairs, was that the axles needed to be replaced, and it was only on visual appearance, no measurements. Never mind I have a hole in the decking and wiring damage! I was told to not worry about it, it could be covered under the comprehensive of the policy.

What are the odds? Is the shop inflating the estimate for their profit? OEM tires had similar wear, 2,000 more miles when I replaced them (just short of 10,000), but no failure.
I doubt they are inflating the estimate for personal profit. Usually they will give worst case scenario. Much better t give a $3000 estimate and do $1500 in repairs that the other way around. Also, with the unusual wear you are indicating could be caused by many factors, not easy to pinpoint exactly what the problem is without a good inspection.

Thanks in advance for any input the collective group has![/QUOTE]

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:04 AM   #23
CWtheMan

The references listed below have relevant information for this thread.

http://www.centrevilletrailer.com/ho...ler-tire-wear/

http://www.carlisletransportationpro..._Practices.pdf

http://www.carlisletransportationpro..._warranty1.pdf
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:44 AM   #24
TomHaycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Next steps in the above blow out story ...

A question first: Where should my expectations for ST trailer tires be, in terms of wear and life? Is it realistic to expect 15 to 20,000 miles with +/- 1/32 across the face of the tread? Does a spread-axle set up quicken the wear with each axle farther from the pivot point? (ok, more than one question!)
[COLOR="Red"]even tire wear can and should be expected if alignment and inflation pressures are correct. Based on your diagram of wear I have concerns of both. {...}
Brent, thanks so much for the information and your time to share it.

The concepts are coming together for me.

Based on tread depths (pre-rotation) alone, I'm seeing the potential of negative camber on both left tires. Bent spindles? Both right tires show a picture of under inflation. Of interest, numbers are very similar from the OEM tires before I replaced them! Shoulda' scoped it out better then!

Reminder, it was the right rear that blew-out.

I have a ~$30 digital tire gauge that consistently shows +2 psi over the external TPMS sending units. With tread pattern indicating under inflation, what is the chance 2 devices are reporting artificially high numbers, resulting in under inflated tires, but only the right side?!?!? If the left side of the trailer is lighter than the right (slide on left; refer, furnace and water heater on the right), I'm guessing this could be partially explained?

Next steps: (1) compare digital pressure gauge to a standard, (2) find some portable truck scales where I can get individual wheel weights, (3) get some measurements to confirm wheel / axle / frame alignments.

Note to self: Add measurements to confirm wheel / axle / frame alignment to the PDI on my next trailer!

Thanks again, I'll post updates as this plays out.
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote