Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
joestaz

Tires

Hi I'm new to this forum and searching for some tire answers. I have a 2010 Fuzion 405 Touring Edition II and love the unit. Have the unit since 12/2009 and only put about 6000 miles on it. The original tires are Carlisle 235 80 r 16 E rated. This past week on a trip to the panhandle of Florida I had a center axel tire blow and the tire on the same axel other side have the threads crown. I know the unit isn't overloaded, tire pressure was at 80psi and I keep the tires covered when the unit is not is use. Two days later a third tire tread started to crown and then a forth tire did the same. Tire stores that I bought replacement tires from said tires looked good, no punctures or signs of bumping or abuse. Now I have to replace 7 tires because I have different brands 3 out of 7 and want all the same. Anyone have any thoughts on a brand or type of tire. Looking at Goodyear G614 RST 235 85 R 16 G rated tires. Expensive but hopefully better. Any input? Thanks
joestaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
chuck&gail

Well can't comment on tires in that size. Will say that Carlisle has a reputation for tires that blow out.

IMO look at the DOT code to find out the country of origin and the date manufactured. Personally I do not buy Chinese tires, since they have a reputation for falling apart or blowouts. I also don't buy tires over 6 months old.

Note complete DOT code is normally only put on one side of each tire, per Murphy, the side underneath your RV. Note if yours is a dually, DOT code is likely between duals.
Example from a tire: DOT MA L9 ABCD 4202
DOT is Dept of Transportation,
MA is Mfg Plant Code (see http://www.harriger.com/ then look for tires link),
L9 is a tire size code,
ABCD is optional manufacturer info,
The newer tires are using 4 digits, the first 2 = the week, and the last 2 = the year.
For example 4202 = 42nd week of 2002.
Any tire with only three numbers at the end of the DOT code were made prior to 2000, and should be replaced IMO.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
KenBob

We have the same Carlisles on our Fuzion. Going to get Goodyear 235/85R16 G614 put on before our next trip. I have not had good luck with the carlisles. The wheels can handle the 110 psi load range G tires. Have not found another 16" tire that compares. Some have gone to larger diameter wheels and tires. JMHO.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
KenBob

With the G614 goodyears as about the only alternative for the Carlisle 235/80r16s without going down in load capacity, we went with the Goodyear G114 17.5" tires and new wheels. More tire options with the 17.5 tires. Initial cost may be intimidating, but peace of mind is worth it.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
CWtheMan

17.5" and 19.5" wheels and tires are both very viable options. If you decide to go with a larger diameter set-up do some serious research on replacement availability. I think you will find that the 19.5" tire will be more readily available for roadside assistance or quick replacement than the 17.5" tires.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:26 AM   #6
KenBob

Unfortunately, a 19.5 tire would not work dimensionally (too tall) on our Fuzion. A 15 minute search found no info on 19.5" tires on a travel trailer or Fifth wheel. Lots of info for a 19.5 on trucks though. Someone may put them on a trailer to "match" the look of the truck and trailer. And as for replacing a tire on the road, there are always options.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:18 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

You might want to look into the Michelin XPS-Rib 16" . It is not a ST tire but it is rated as a Three position commercial tire. (Steering axle, Drive axle and commercial trailer axle. ) A big plus for this tire is the speed rating ... To me running a ST tire at its maximum speed (65 mph) all day is looking for trouble. JM2¢, Hank

This tire size calculator helped me when looking to upgrade.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
CWtheMan

Actually Michelin has a well designed tire that meets and surpasses the 3520# load capacity of the ST235/80R16E tires. It would require a few more inches in diameter and a wheel upgrade but has loads of advantages over the ST tire.

L@@K Here: http: http://www.michelinrvtires.com/miche...o.do?tread=XRV

Bridgestone also has a couple of 17.5" LRF tire sizes to select from.

L@@K here: https://www.bfentirenet.com/product_...0&partial=true

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote