Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2014, 04:10 AM   #1
mdb25

571 Vacuum Breaker

I am looking to replace the vacuum breaker from my black tank flushing system (already gone through 2 of them) and trying to figure out if a regular brass vacuum breaker will work? Does anyone know, he is an example of what I am thinking to replace it with:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I found this one

http://www.pdxrv.com/catalog/i2836.html

but $16 vs $58 I think I can add a couple of treaded ends on it myself.
mdb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:47 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Oh! But the fact that it says RV on the packaging has to make it worth $40 more and you will have to spend another $2 for plastic nipples to make it just as good. I would be buying the brass. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:20 AM   #3
Stublejumper

Yes hankpage is correct , It does not matter what back flow prevention device you go with they are all very similar from rv's to heavy industrial .
Old 03-22-2014, 07:18 AM   #4
hankaye

Howdy All;

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb25 View Post
I am looking to replace the vacuum breaker from my black tank flushing system (already gone through 2 of them) and trying to figure out if a regular brass vacuum breaker will work? Does anyone know, he is an example of what I am thinking to replace it with:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I found this one

http://www.pdxrv.com/catalog/i2836.html

but $16 vs $58 I think I can add a couple of treaded ends on it myself.
When I got rid of my POC vac. breaker that came with the Cougar I replaced
it with an elbow (your choice of fitting may vary), and I use a dedicated hose
and one of these to 'protect' the water system.
http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Cooper-I...Vacuum+Breaker
Works fine as both my drinking water and the flush system spigot are 'T'ed
from the same feed line and I haven't been sick a day in longer than I've
been full-timing (over 4 years).

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
mdb25

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, I figured it would work just wanted to be sure.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:09 AM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Question

Confused NORMAL, Senior Citizen Moment

Is the Black Tank Flush system same as the "Black tank Sprinkler System" used to clean the Black Tank?? Is the issue that a common water source in some trailers feeds both the water to the trailer as well as the "Black Tank Sprinkler system"? This device prevents the water in the sprinkler system from back flowing into the other water supply? Am I close?? If not could someone clarify.

On the Raptor there is two water sources (physically separated) for the water supply to the trailer and the Black Tank Sprinkler system

Thanks
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #7
mdb25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Confused NORMAL, Senior Citizen Moment

Is the Black Tank Flush system same as the "Black tank Sprinkler System" used to clean the Black Tank?? Is the issue that a common water source in some trailers feeds both the water to the trailer as well as the "Black Tank Sprinkler system"? This device prevents the water in the sprinkler system from back flowing into the other water supply? Am I close?? If not could someone clarify.

On the Raptor there is two water sources (physically separated) for the water supply to the trailer and the Black Tank Sprinkler system

Thanks

No, it is the same as yours, the flushing system does have its own water source and is not connected to the main water system. The device prevents the water from back flowing when in use. The problem with the stock vacuum breaker is that it is made out of plastic and fails causing water to flow inside your trailer. I have gone through 2 of them already (have had the camper less than a year) so it is time to upgrade to a more reliable device.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Post Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdb25 View Post
No, it is the same as yours, the flushing system does have its own water source and is not connected to the main water system. The device prevents the water from back flowing when in use. The problem with the stock vacuum breaker is that it is made out of plastic and fails causing water to flow inside your trailer. I have gone through 2 of them already (have had the camper less than a year) so it is time to upgrade to a more reliable device.
mdb25, thanks for the explanation you also refreshed my lost memory looked back and found out I responded to a similar post. As someone said many posts on this below is a link to one of them with a diagram. Think in one post canesfan stated that on our RAPTORS this valve is in the Bathroom sink cabinet. I will watch out for this condition or better yet put on the de winterize check list.

Thanks Again
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:06 AM   #9
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
When I got rid of my POC vac. breaker that came with the Cougar I replaced
it with an elbow (your choice of fitting may vary), and I use a dedicated hose
and one of these to 'protect' the water system.
http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Cooper-I...Vacuum+Breaker
hankaye
I did the same thing on my last rig. Will probably do the same on this one when it warms up for more than a day. In the mean time I'll just take everything out from under the sink and put a bowl there when I flush the tank.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #10
kazuaki

Somebody explain to me again why we need this device? Is it to keep the black water from coming back up out the rinse hookup in the utility area (where all the water and cable connections are)? Why would this happen? I totally removed the vacuum breaker from my system and haven't noticed any problems.
kazuaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #11
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuaki View Post
Somebody explain to me again why we need this device? Is it to keep the black water from coming back up out the rinse hookup in the utility area (where all the water and cable connections are)? Why would this happen? I totally removed the vacuum breaker from my system and haven't noticed any problems.
I don't get why it's needed either - considering separate water systems.

My last RV (2008 Weekend Warrior junk) had separate water inputs, and no vacuum breaker. Nobody died.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:37 PM   #12
hankpage
Site Team

Vacuum breakers ( backflow preventers) are even code on stick home outside faucets. They are required so if there becomes negative pressure in the city water (CG water supply) the black water is not siphoned back to contaminate city water. It is a safety feature so you don't end up drinking your own .
Old 03-24-2014, 04:01 PM   #13
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Vacuum breakers ( backflow preventers) are even code on stick home outside faucets. They are required so if there becomes negative pressure in the city water (CG water supply) the black water is not siphoned back to contaminate city water. It is a safety feature so you don't end up drinking your own .
Yes but at home, my outside spigot is connected to the same water supply as my toilet, kitchen sink, shower, etc.

On my RV, there are two separate and distinct supplies.... Water for the clean out.... And water for everything else.

I still don't understand the need.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #14
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
Yes but at home, my outside spigot is connected to the same water supply as my toilet, kitchen sink, shower, etc.

On my RV, there are two separate and distinct supplies.... Water for the clean out.... And water for everything else.

I still don't understand the need.
Your campground has one faucet that you connect both hoses to .... that is where the cross contamination will occur. If a waterline is broken down hill from you and between the pumping station water WILL siphon from your full black tank without it. When the break is repaired ..... guess what will be coming back through both your hoses. Also if vent stack gets blocked and pressure builds in the tank above supply pressure .... poop in the supply again. This is a worse case scenario but is the reason for the valve. Inside your home there is no connection between supply and waste so no problem. Outside hoses can be left in swimming pools or other sources of ground water that would be siphoned back and contaminate the single source either city water or private well. Of all the silly things the government dreams up, trust me this is a good thing. Now if we can just get trailer manufacturers to use good ones that don't fail and flood the bathroom there would be no need for this discussion and most folks would never know it was there.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:32 PM   #15
kazuaki

Is there a replacement that you can get, maybe built into the outside hose connection? I think the fresh water hookup has a check valve in it, maybe something like that?
kazuaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:55 PM   #16
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Your campground has one faucet that you connect both hoses to .... that is where the cross contamination will occur. If a waterline is broken down hill from you and between the pumping station water WILL siphon from your full black tank without it. When the break is repaired ..... guess what will be coming back through both your hoses. Also if vent stack gets blocked and pressure builds in the tank above supply pressure .... poop in the supply again. This is a worse case scenario but is the reason for the valve. Inside your home there is no connection between supply and waste so no problem. Outside hoses can be left in swimming pools or other sources of ground water that would be siphoned back and contaminate the single source either city water or private well. Of all the silly things the government dreams up, trust me this is a good thing. Now if we can just get trailer manufacturers to use good ones that don't fail and flood the bathroom there would be no need for this discussion and most folks would never know it was there.
Ok. That explanation clears things up..

But isn't the valve in the RV a "double protection" type of thing when there is one required on the spigot/source?
Old 03-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Sad,

The one on the spigot will protect the campground water supply, but it won't protect your hose, so, if your black tank flush happens to back up into the hose all the way to the campground spigot, then the water comes back on, it will run into both your hoses and contaminate your fresh water supply. The antisiphon valve protects your fresh water hose as well as being a "double safety" for the campground water supply.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #18
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Sad,

The one on the spigot will protect the campground water supply, but it won't protect your hose, so, if your black tank flush happens to back up into the hose all the way to the campground spigot, then the water comes back on, it will run into both your hoses and contaminate your fresh water supply. The antisiphon valve protects your fresh water hose as well as being a "double safety" for the campground water supply.
Thanks for the helpful clarification.

I guess that never occured to me because I can't imagine hooking my fresh water hose up to the sewer flush ! Ick! Would someone actually do that!?
Old 03-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #19
vantage32fls

That's why I carry two hoses, one for flush other for fresh.

Tom & Sue
Keystone Vantage 32fls
2019 RAM CC 8' bed SRW 4x4 6.7 HO w/Aisin
15k Curt Tru-Trac Trunnion
vantage32fls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:21 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

I wouldn't do it, but we have a couple of members who have stated in threads a year or so ago that they just rinse the hose out after flushing their black tank and then think nothing of reconnecting to the city water connector or to fill their fresh water tank.

I carry two hoses, actually 3, 2 are 25' white fresh water hoses and one is a cheap WalMart 50' light vinyl hose (brown in color) that's for the black tank.... I might consider using it to wash my truck if I were in a campground that allowed truck washing at the campsite, but otherwise, the brown one is for brown stuff and the other ones are the only ones that get hooked to something I'd drink or bathe in......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote