Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2020, 08:12 AM   #1
Hisgirl

Water connections 2005 Sprinter

Good morning all, I'm new here. I was in a Scamp full time for 9 years, have been in my sprinter since 2017. I am having a strange occurrence with my water. I recently moved and have full hook ups, not for the first time. When I parked the trailer, I had about half tank of water. I turned the pump off when I hooked up to the water here. Now, where I FILL my tank, water us dripping from it. Quite a bit. When I connect my hose, does it fill my tank? It has never done this before and I am baffled. My tank lights say it's full. Any info would be appreciated.

To clarify, it is dripping from the screw cap where I would insert a hose to fill the tank.
Hisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:35 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

If you have a seperate gravity feed hose (i.e. you remove a screw cap and insert the garden hose into it) then it sounds like the check valve on your water pump has failed and is "backfeeding" into your tank.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:43 AM   #3
travelin texans

Turn off the park faucet & run your pump for a while, this will most likely clear the debris from the pump internal check valve. If there's can valve at the suction of the pump close it til you need to use the pump again.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:19 AM   #4
Hisgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
If you have a seperate gravity feed hose (i.e. you remove a screw cap and insert the garden hose into it) then it sounds like the check valve on your water pump has failed and is "backfeeding" into your tank.
Ahhh, had no idea about this. I shut the water off at the valve and it quit leaking, the pump is cycling about every two minutes. Do I need a new pump?
Old 05-01-2020, 11:22 AM   #5
Hisgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Turn off the park faucet & run your pump for a while, this will most likely clear the debris from the pump internal check valve. If there's can valve at the suction of the pump close it til you need to use the pump again.
I'm not sure what your second sentence means. I turned the faucet off and the pump on. I ran it a little. It is cycling about every 2 minutes.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:29 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisgirl View Post
Ahhh, had no idea about this. I shut the water off at the valve and it quit leaking, the pump is cycling about every two minutes. Do I need a new pump?
Maybe not but you will need to get to it. There is a check valve in the pump to keep water from running "backwards" in the line, thru the pump, and into the tank. My guess is, the pump runs about every 2 min. as the water bleeds back thru the pump the pressure drops triggering the pump to run again. See if you can find the label on the pump. Google it to find the manual on how to disassemble it.

There could be some debris in the check valve or pump head causing it to leak back. Or it's defective and needs to be replaced.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:54 PM   #7
Hisgirl

Quote:
Maybe not but you will need to get to it. There is a check valve in the pump to keep water from running "backwards" in the line, thru the pump, and into the tank. My guess is, the pump runs about every 2 min. as the water bleeds back thru the pump the pressure drops triggering the pump to run again. See if you can find the label on the pump. Google it to find the manual on how to disassemble it.

There could be some debris in the check valve or pump head causing it to leak back. Or it's defective and needs to be replaced.
Thank you. I am not that handy, I'll probably get I new one, pretty sure I can replace one. Thank you for your help. I learned something new today.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:47 PM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisgirl View Post
I'm not sure what your second sentence means. I turned the faucet off and the pump on. I ran it a little. It is cycling about every 2 minutes.
At your pump there's a suction & discharge hose connected to the pump end, generally the suction is going straight into the front of the pump. At that point it may have a small clear filter & a valve with handle pointing inline with the piping, turn that valve handle 90 degrees to the piping to turn it off. Be sure, if this is the case, to open that valve before using the pump again.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:24 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

You don't list your unit in your signature so I took a look at your profile. From that I see your unit is 15 yrs old. If that's the original then it most likely deserves to be retired.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:26 AM   #10
Hisgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
At your pump there's a suction & discharge hose connected to the pump end, generally the suction is going straight into the front of the pump. At that point it may have a small clear filter & a valve with handle pointing inline with the piping, turn that valve handle 90 degrees to the piping to turn it off. Be sure, if this is the case, to open that valve before using the pump again.
Thank you! I can do that!
Old 05-02-2020, 08:27 AM   #11
Hisgirl

Quote:
You don't list your unit in your signature so I took a look at your profile. From that I see your unit is 15 yrs old. If that's the original then it most likely deserves to be retired.
I do not know for sure that it's the original pump as I bought the trailer used. I had the same thought, though. Thank you.

Tags
sprinter, water