Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2020, 07:51 AM   #61
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
There is an alternative for the gassers...supercharge it for more pulling power. Might use more gas when pulling, but very fun when not towing. Might cost less than an upgrade to diesel...

That would be nice, but I doubt there are many companies making a super charger for today’s engines. I had a customer that has a Ford F-150 lightning. We changed out the supercharger and it would get with it!!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:54 AM   #62
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
Truck stops with "truck lanes" will likely have much larger pump nozzle sizes (something like 2 inch) nozzles that will not fit in your pickup tank fill spout.
I stand corrected on this issue! Apparently my experience (or my memory ) is not correct. It would seem that nozzle size is not an issue with current trucks. We have a 90 gallon auxiliary tank with a larger fill neck and normally fill through that - but I am still reluctant to use the larger truck nozzles due to the high pump rate and potential for a large spill. But others obviously can and do use the larger truck nozzles with no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
There is an alternative for the gassers...supercharge it for more pulling power. Might use more gas when pulling, but very fun when not towing. Might cost less than an upgrade to diesel...
Our last gasser was a Ford F250 with the 460 gas motor. Using the above philosophy, I did a bunch of work on the motor (intake, exhaust, injectors, fuel pump, etc.) and ultimately changed both rear ends (4X4) to 4:80's then added a Gear Vendor Overdrive to give me 8 forward gears. I could have had a diesel for what I spent on the gas rig - and it would "almost" keep up with a diesel - as long as I was willing to run it at 5000 RPM with my toenails dragging the pavement out the back of the custome 3" exhaust pipes. After my first trip up Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado, I realized that motor was going to melt pistons long before I reached the top of the pass - so I slowed down with all the other gas rigs and just watched the diesels pass me on the hill.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:07 AM   #63
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
I stand corrected on this issue! Apparently my experience (or my memory ) is not correct. It would seem that nozzle size is not an issue with current trucks. We have a 90 gallon auxiliary tank with a larger fill neck and normally fill through that - but I am still reluctant to use the larger truck nozzles due to the high pump rate and potential for a large spill. But others obviously can and do use the larger truck nozzles with no problems.

Our last gasser was a Ford F250 with the 460 gas motor. Using the above philosophy, I did a bunch of work on the motor (intake, exhaust, injectors, fuel pump, etc.) and ultimately changed both rear ends (4X4) to 4:80's then added a Gear Vendor Overdrive to give me 8 forward gears. I could have had a diesel for what I spent on the gas rig - and it would "almost" keep up with a diesel - as long as I was willing to run it at 5000 RPM with my toenails dragging the pavement out the back of the custome 3" exhaust pipes. After my first trip up Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado, I realized that motor was going to melt pistons long before I reached the top of the pass - so I slowed down with all the other gas rigs and just watched the diesels pass me on the hill.

I had an ‘86 F250 with a naturally aspirated 460. I did a whole bunch of stuff including cam, gear drive, lifters, rockers, headers, exhaust and MSD ignition. It yanked my old trailer up tehachapi pass at 45 MPH. But it took 37 gallons of gas to go 45 miles. On the flats it would get a whopping 7.7 mpg. Current truck does close to 11 towing.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:08 AM   #64
Keystoned

I was not thinking about old carbureted motors, there are many superchargers available for modern engines, and turbos also. With modern electronics and controls, those 'good old days' are long gone. World of difference between NA (naturally aspirated) and FI (forced induction), like 30-50% more power.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:03 AM   #65
Ken / Claudia

At least post #62 Brad admits " I just watched the diesels pass me on the hills."
I will not promote racing and don't but, ever since my first turbo diesel pickup. I have never been passed by a single gasser pulling an RV on any big hill out west. Tomorrow I will travel over several big hills on I-84 from PDX to Boise ID. Speed limit is 65, many gassers are down to 35 to 45 near the tops, I will be at 65, but can be faster if needed to pass.
I have been passed by many on the flats because I do not speed. Well at least, not by much when towing.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:45 AM   #66
jsb5717

Back in the day I had a '96 Chevy diesel...which we all know really sucked. GM really wasn't yet in the diesel game at the same level as Ford and Dodge. I got fed up with crawling over Mt Hood while being easily passed by both Fords and Dodges pulling much larger 5ers than me. It was similar to pulling with my old Ford gasser.

In 2005 I bought a used Ford 7.3 and have never looked back. Diesels all the way from now on.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:53 PM   #67
GaryUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiRich View Post
I have a question or two. I've been toying with the idea of getting a newer truck to pull our 5er with. My current one is a 2009 Sliverado 1 ton, but it's a gasser. Although it does an adequate job pulling it, the fuel consumption is pretty high (get about 7-8mpg), and the engine revs pretty high when going up grades unless I really let the speed bleed off.

We also have a 2009 GMC, crew cab 4x4 with the 6.0 gas engine. Also get 7-8 MPG towing in the mountains. I've had the truck since it was new, only has 65K on it. I tend to keep vehicles for a long time. It has 3.77 gears, I think that 4.10's would be an improvement. It only goes into 6th gear going downhill when towing.

When I do replace it I am planning on a duramax. I figure the next truck will be the last one I buy before I retire.

Gary

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:41 PM   #68
flybouy
Site Team

Simply put when it pertains to the internal combustion engine the diesels do the "heavy lifting". That's why they are utilized in the trucking industry, in larger water craft, larger generators, construction equipment, locomotives, farm equipment, etc. There are no gasoline powered engines that can compare to the durability, reliability, economy, and amount of power that a diesel can provide.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:20 PM   #69
Harried Harry

This has been a very interesting topic, with a lot of humor. I don't tow my 5er very much since I acquired a good truck camper. My current Dodge 2500 tows the trailer well but the truck is overloaded with the camper. I'm now debating on acquiring a 2019 Chevy DRW with the diesel. It's loaded with all the gizmos I could ask for plus what my wife likes. The challenge: my 08 Dodge only has 72,000 miles on it. This used 2019 has 22,000. The payment, if I buy it, will be greater than my house payment was.
Harried Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:03 PM   #70
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

It's amazing how much a slide in camper weighs. My dad had one in his 68 F100. No days no way would I put one in a 1/2 ton truck LOL
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:08 AM   #71
Hamops

If I have a choice between a gas and diesel engine, I would opt for the diesel, because it is more robust, more powerful and more fuel efficient. To my mind, the cost differential is well worth it, especially when you're driving in the mountains out west.

I have an older Duramax and I typically get about 11 mpUSG. On my LBZ engine, it doesn't matter if I'm going uphill, downhill, with the wind, against the wind, or on the level, it still gets about 11 mpg. I generally drive at about 105 kmph ( about 65 mph) which is the sweet spot for the LBZ. I've documented this by recording my fuel consumption for all our trips.

Our trips last from 6 to 10 weeks and we've through most of the US with the exception of some east coast states and all across Canada.
Isspro EGT & Boost Gauges, Rear View Camera System, Prodigy Controller. Custom Auxiliary Fuel System
2014 Keystone Avalanche 295RL
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:29 AM   #72
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Ruff Rider View Post
It's amazing how much a slide in camper weighs. My dad had one in his 68 F100. No days no way would I put one in a 1/2 ton truck LOL
When I was about 15 yrs old I was visiting my cousin in WV to go deer hunting. He had a late 60's Ford PU and had just bought a slide in camper. They live on top of a steep hill (WV right?) so I helped him get the new to him camper secured for the maiden voyage.

He drove down the hill and no problems. Turn around to go back and started back up the hill. The front end lifted and and all steering was lost. We traveled the remaining 1K feet or so with me standing on the front bumper holding on for dear life. Yes, dumb kids.

He sold the camper and bought a "bumper pull" as they called them back then.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:38 AM   #73
Pmedic4

Weight difference Minimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I don't find the "towed weight" to be a significant factor in mileage while towing. I typically get around 10.5-11 MPG towing our Cougar XLite behind the truck. If I double tow/triple tow the boat behind the Cougar (about 2000 pounds) mileage remains about the same. If I tow the Slingshot on its trailer (about 3000 pounds) mileage also seems essentially "unaffected" by the added weight.

What I do notice will affect MPG, is any "wind resistance". If there's a headwind with the Cougar, the wind will affect MPG. If I tow a larger boat (weighing about the same as the Cougar), MPG will go up, probably from the "more streamlined load on the trailer". It's the same when I connect the trailer with my tractor behind the truck. It weighs close to the same as the Cougar, but MPG usually is 13-14 MPG with that trailer in tow.

I'd suspect that, within reason, it's more about "frontal wind resistance" than weight differences of a couple thousand pounds or so.
Don't have a diesel, totally agree with the major difference being 'wind resistance'. With the Cougar hanging on, I get 8-9mpg generally. I also tow a UTV, which I haul on an aluminum trailer, which fully loaded is rated at 3,000 pounds. I was really surprised by the drop in mileage with this light trailer, and at best get 9-10mpg! It has a full length loading ramp, and I'm certain the wind hitting that ramp latched at 90 degrees is the culprit. I expected it to be more in the 12-14mpg range, but no it really drops off even with that trailer.

On a RV trip of 300 miles to Branson, I expected mileage to really suffer hitting the mountains in southern Missouri, but still hit about 8-9 on the way down. On the return, heading east out of Springfield MO, surprised to see I'm getting 11-12 and thinking I'm going to make it home on one fill-up. Then once I got heading north, now the onboard gauge is saying 6-7, and now thinking I have an engine problem. Of course, I stop for fuel, and the wind out of the north now is blowing 20mph, so I see the difference.

Wind definitely is the deciding factor, and so far I've not traveled 'Where the winds blow me yet'

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:39 AM   #74
JRTJH
Site Team

My sophomore year of high school, Dad bought a "truck camper" for our truck. it was a F100, "big 6" with a 3 speed transmission regular cab model. That summer Dad and Mom in the cab and us 3 boys in the cab-over bed in the camper. We headed west from Louisiana to Arizona. Dad never explained or even commented why he wanted to visit Tuscon, but that's where we wound up, spent 2 days and headed back home.

Back then, if the tires didn't pop, it was "good to go".... No seat belts, anti-skid brakes, air bags, not even turn signals (if I remember correctly), but the truck did have brake lights (covered by the camper rear wall, and I don't remember if the camper had tail/brake lights or not.….. Those were "different times, for sure"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:00 AM   #75
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic4 View Post
Don't have a diesel, totally agree with the major difference being 'wind resistance'. With the Cougar hanging on, I get 8-9mpg generally. I also tow a UTV, which I haul on an aluminum trailer, which fully loaded is rated at 3,000 pounds. I was really surprised by the drop in mileage with this light trailer, and at best get 9-10mpg! It has a full length loading ramp, and I'm certain the wind hitting that ramp latched at 90 degrees is the culprit. I expected it to be more in the 12-14mpg range, but no it really drops off even with that trailer.

On a RV trip of 300 miles to Branson, I expected mileage to really suffer hitting the mountains in southern Missouri, but still hit about 8-9 on the way down. On the return, heading east out of Springfield MO, surprised to see I'm getting 11-12 and thinking I'm going to make it home on one fill-up. Then once I got heading north, now the onboard gauge is saying 6-7, and now thinking I have an engine problem. Of course, I stop for fuel, and the wind out of the north now is blowing 20mph, so I see the difference.

Wind definitely is the deciding factor, and so far I've not traveled 'Where the winds blow me yet'
Another often overlooked factor when traversing long distances is changes in elevation and grade.

Living on the east side of a "fall line" at or near sea level any drive west is a gain in elevation and a subsequent drop returning. Mountain ranges also have a "windward and a leeward sides" so one direction of travel will result in a steeper grade.

Just another factor like wind direction/intensity, traffic, driver inputs/variances etc. that effect m.p.g.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:11 AM   #76
Spock123

On my 2012 Silverado 3500 deleted diesel I was getting 12mpg or better pulling a Cedar Creek at 67mph. Came to Myrtle Beach on brand new Silverado 3500 getting 10mpg at 60mph. I have to find the sweet spot.
Spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:48 AM   #77
notanlines

John, assuming that was probably in the early 60's, I believe that was 132 HP, y'all were in high cotton!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:13 AM   #78
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
John, assuming that was probably in the early 60's, I believe that was 132 HP, y'all were in high cotton!
You're in the same "generation" as me. I can't remember ever going on vacation without spending a part of a day, a night or both at a "service station" waiting for the parts store to open. It seemed we'd always lose a generator, a water pump, a fan belt or a starter on every extended trip. Back then tires were bias ply, lasted "maybe 12,000 miles if babied" or less if treated normally. Dad bought a new Pontiac every 2 years, so even with a "new car and a 12K/1 year warranty" we always seemed to "become friends with the "Nab machine" at a service station every vacation.....

That old truck is what I learned to "drive on the blacktop". I started with "Salley and a wagon" moved up to an old IH tractor (with routine scoldings for not staying between the rows) and finally to that old truck "straight to town, don't go past the Sunflower store and straight back home. If Mr Duncan stops you, tell him that I sent you to town and have him come talk to me." That was before anyone "did business on the phone" (party lines with no privacy), so phones were for socializing not private business...

Mr Duncan was the local constable in town and knew every kid, exactly how old we were and whether we had a driver's license or not. He'd sit at the city limits sign and wave to us as we passed on the way to get a Honey Bun and a RC Those were "simpler times" when a less crowded world allowed us to be safe even when we were pushing the edge....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:23 PM   #79
notanlines

I know all of you over 60 will relate to this: In 1961 I was 13, had saved my very hard earned money, and rode my bicycle north of Rice Lake to the sports/bait store. I plunked down $70 and rode away with a 2 year old .308 Savage Model 99, replete with old used case and one box of cartridges. Yes, I still have the rifle AND old case. To say things were different then would be a gross understatement.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:48 PM   #80
chuckster57
Site Team

I do remember diesel fuel being cheaper than gas. Gas being 19 cents/gal. Waiting in line on odd/even days for gas and when gas was an outrageous 79cents saying if it his a dollar a gallon I’ll quit driving. And let’s not forget all that lead.

Tags
upgrade