Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2019, 08:36 AM   #21
travelin texans

Staying at city/state/national parks your canopy shouldn't be a problem, but we've been to numerous private parks/campgrounds that do not allow "temporary structures" on your site, which include the clam shell, screen rooms or any type of portable gazebo.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:23 AM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwemaxxowner View Post
I would like that if it's not too difficult to dig up.

My goal was to find something that would mimic the function of the awning that should be there as closely as possible, without breaking the bank for now. At 16x16 and $117, I HOPE what I already have will accomplish that. Shade the front area of the camper in front of the door and oVer our carpeted area, and allow us to pass through freely in any direction and back into the camper door.

However, this screen room does look very nice as something I could set up on our lot in addition, when I'm staying somewhere that has the space. Being able to relax and keep the "skeetoes" (as my little one calls them) away would be nice.

Here's the link to the video I mentioned. It is made by the product manager. The others are made by the sales folks and aren't quite as informative to me. As Danny pointed out, some places won't let you put an enclosure like this up. We carry it with us and if we can put it up we do (if we're going to be there long enough to worry about it). For your extra lot, it would work great IMO. No see ums can't get in it so "skeetoes" won't be a problem.

https://clamoutdoors.com/pages/quicksetsetup
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:16 PM   #23
mwemaxxowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Staying at city/state/national parks your canopy shouldn't be a problem, but we've been to numerous private parks/campgrounds that do not allow "temporary structures" on your site, which include the clam shell, screen rooms or any type of portable gazebo.
Interesting. I'm tempted to say that we've never encountered that, but now that I think about it, we never had anything that we tried to put up anyway. I've usually always stayed in the same couple of campgrounds, but my wife and I want to start venturing out to more places. So no doubt eventually that's something I'll encounter. That might have me moving a real awning back up the list of priorities.

This camper has nothing. The track where the fabric attached is still there, but no arms, brackets, roller tube, etc. Maybe I can luck out and find something on the ol' Craigslist.
mwemaxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:14 AM   #24
mwemaxxowner

I thought that I would just continue to use this as my personal experience/build/questions thread. Would that be alright?

One thing that concerns me a little is that the shower has no sort of waterproof paneling. It's just a tub with a shower head mounted on the wall. The walls are the same wallpaper covered paneling the rest of the camper is.

I've never used a shower much in a camper, we always used the bath house 97 perCent of the time. My wife and little one will be using this one. Are y'all's showers the same way? Am I considering fixing a problem that doesn't exist, or is it a good idea to put something up around the inside of the shower?

We have some minor remodel plans already. Rip out that carpet and linoleum and out something attractive in, paint on walls and cabinets, backsplashes, etc.

We just sold a home that I bought prior to my current marriage that was a major fixer upper. While living there as a bachelor, I didn't care to fix it up. The last two years my wife and I worked diligently to remodel and dress it up and it was very rewarding. We hated to sell it but we made quite a bit off of it. I think we want to do sort of the same thing here on a smaller scale, put a little of ourselves into it.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:07 AM   #25
mwemaxxowner

Well, I purchased this bad boy:

Hughes Autoformer PWD30 Power Watch Dog 30 AMP Surge Protector https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0791RW8M2..._v9YiDbFP03WWK

I'm sure that, ideally, I need a unit that offers a little more protection. I.e. it will shut things down if it detects under or over voltage. However, at considerably less price, this one does have a replaceable surge cartridge (whereas most of the low end surge protectors were one and done it seems) and this one has the unique ability to pair with my phone via Bluetooth. I can monitor voltages and whatnot and set alarms. So, while it won't cut me off if I encounter low voltage, it WILL allow me to set alarms and get notified if dangerous situations occur. I see it as a decent compromise for now, while I'm dropping so much money into getting everything ready.

I also got the Camco Hybrid Heat installed. Piece of cake and it seems to work great. I hooked up water last night and left it on about an hour, came out and I had hot water. I started to leave it on overnight, but instead I think I'm going to turn it on for a few hours while I'm home one afternoon this week first. I want to test it thoroughly before we get out on our trip. Hopefully make sure all the fail-safes are working and/or the thermostat is functioning properly and heat doesn't run away.

Tires are mounted with metal stems, and I'll pick them up from the shop some time today. I actually got rubber stems the first time even though I requested metal stems, so I had to ask them to break them back down and fix it. The girl at the desk who works the register didn't fully understand.y request or why it was necessary [emoji2361]. I usually deal with the owner directly. Last time I make that mistake.

Oh, and the wife drug me to Ikea to get some odds and ends, but I made it out alive! No, actually we got some good stuff that will help us have what we need but not take up too much space. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190708-075610.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	22712
Old 07-08-2019, 04:20 AM   #26
{tpc}

I wonder if the previous owner removed the shower walls for some reason? I can't think of why it wouldn't have them. I can imagine that if I removed the walls in my shower that behind would be the same pattern and wall paper.

Are there holes where the brackets used to be on the trailer for the awning? I wonder why the other owner would take it off, unless he was using it as a "park model" and had built some sort of structure around that side of it and it was in the way. I know your not ready to break the bank lol...the little odds and ends do add up, but when you decide to maybe also look for a patio room type of attachment? I don't know if its a awning specific thing but my friend had one and it was pretty cool. Zipped up all around the awning to make a screen room.

Other than that, we just bought a cheap pop up from walmart (ozark trail) for $40. Pretty easy to put up and take down (unless in the wind lol) but hey its $40. I think you can also buy like a "side" to attach to it, though I am unsure of its purpose, really.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:39 AM   #27
mwemaxxowner

I've already bought a canopy that will serve the purpose for now, but ultimately if we enjoy this camper and decide to keep this particular one long term, I'll pony up and put an awning on it.

It definitely had one once upon a time, and my only guess is that something happened to it (storm tore it up, limb fell on the awning, some jackleg ran into the arms, who knows) and the PO just pulled it all.

As to the shower, no idea. Lol. I Can't think of any good reason to remove waterproof panels around the shower, unless they were removing the whole thing to build a closet or something. I'm thinking that I'll take care of that sooner than later. I don't like it, and there is no water damage around or under the shower right now. Let's keep it that way.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:07 AM   #28
{tpc}

Gotcha. Ya that shower thing is odd. It sounds like they had intention of making it into something else for some reason. Or maybe they were going to make it bigger somehow and never got to it.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:02 AM   #29
mwemaxxowner

It doesn't look like anything was removed. No nail or screw holes, no left over adhesive or caulk, no lines where some of it was covered up and discolored at a different rate than the rest, etc.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:26 AM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Well, I purchased this bad boy:

Hughes Autoformer PWD30 Power Watch Dog 30 AMP Surge Protector https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0791RW8M2..._v9YiDbFP03WWK

I'm sure that, ideally, I need a unit that offers a little more protection
. I.e. it will shut things down if it detects under or over voltage. However, at considerably less price, this one does have a replaceable surge cartridge (whereas most of the low end surge protectors were one and done it seems) and this one has the unique ability to pair with my phone via Bluetooth. I can monitor voltages and whatnot and set alarms. So, while it won't cut me off if I encounter low voltage, it WILL allow me to set alarms and get notified if dangerous situations occur. I see it as a decent compromise for now, while I'm dropping so much money into getting everything ready.

I also got the Camco Hybrid Heat installed. Piece of cake and it seems to work great. I hooked up water last night and left it on about an hour, came out and I had hot water. I started to leave it on overnight, but instead I think I'm going to turn it on for a few hours while I'm home one afternoon this week first. I want to test it thoroughly before we get out on our trip. Hopefully make sure all the fail-safes are working and/or the thermostat is functioning properly and heat doesn't run away.

Tires are mounted with metal stems, and I'll pick them up from the shop some time today. I actually got rubber stems the first time even though I requested metal stems, so I had to ask them to break them back down and fix it. The girl at the desk who works the register didn't fully understand.y request or why it was necessary [emoji2361]. I usually deal with the owner directly. Last time I make that mistake.

Oh, and the wife drug me to Ikea to get some odds and ends, but I made it out alive! No, actually we got some good stuff that will help us have what we need but not take up too much space. Attachment 22712

If you aren't going to get the EMS don't be misled into thinking the surge protector is going to do much for you. Of all the failures I've encountered an actual power surge that would have caused extensive damage is at the bottom of the list I'm figuring. There's a reason it costs 1/3 of what an EMS does - it is a very limited device.

Since you don't have an EMS I would suggest you get a VOM and become very familiar with it. Before plugging the RV into any electrical outlet check the outlet to be sure that ALL conductors are there and providing the function they are supposed to. If you don't know off hand, pull a wiring diagram for a 30A RV plug and carry it with you so you will know what you are looking for with the VOM. I've found the craziest things in the past before I bought the EMS.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #31
mwemaxxowner

I'm assuming vom is an abbreviation for voltage meter. I keep one in the toolbox on the truck. I've used it plenty in 12 volt applications (Car audio, boat audio, chasing wiring problems in said vehicles) and in my old house diagnosing and repairing some minor issues, but never in a 30 amp application. I'll use my GoogleFu to educate myself more.

This unit will test for open neutral, open ground, and reverse polarity, and will allow me to monitor the voltage and amperage, with user set thresholds for sending me an alarm.

It should help me test first for proper wiring on the shore side, then let me monitor for low voltage and amperage in real time.

Our new Power Watchdog*Smart Surge Protector offers 2,400 Joules of the advanced surge protection for your coach and also has bluetooth connectivity so you can monitor live park power conditions on your smartphone using our free mobile app.

30 Amp Service (50 Amp is Available)

2400 Joules of Advanced Surge Protection

Wirelessly Monitor Voltage and Current Draw on your Smartphone

Complete LED Park Power Diagnostics with Wireless Fault Alerts

Set Custom Alert Thresholds

Replaceable Surge / Spike Module – Should you get hit by a large spike, simply order a new surge module. No need to order a whole new unit.

IP65 rating –*IP rated as “dust tight” and protected against water projected from a nozzle.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:33 PM   #32
mwemaxxowner

Getting there! We've gotta do away with that hideous carpet and do something better about the fabric colors on the couch and the dinette. But for now it is what it is.

The curtains are made from pillowcases, alligator clips, and small metal rings. Most of the curtain rods are tension rods and command hooks.

#WallaceOnWheelsClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190709_202517694.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	22734Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190709_202503327.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	22735Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190709_202020356.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	22736Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190709_202001037.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	22737Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190709_201931917.jpg
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	22738Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190709_201918477.jpg
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	22739Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190709_201909957.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	22740Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190709_201753371.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	22741Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190709_201749208.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	22742
Old 07-10-2019, 02:58 AM   #33
mwemaxxowner

Here are some photos I took inside the shower. You can see the same Crack and corner moldings are present that are everywhere else, no screw or staple holes, no lines where something used to be over this, etc. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190709_211017612.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	22743Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190709_211011193.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	22744Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190709_210958188.jpg
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	22745Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190709_210931424.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	22746
Old 07-10-2019, 03:29 AM   #34
Northofu1

If you're really concerned, customize and install a tub surround.
Or, you could use:
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8
with,
https://youtu.be/6O4DjUDyzjQ

It comes in 4' x 8' sheets. it is used primarily in institutions, municipal / private facilities. It is very generic, but impermeable to anything daily use can throw at it. Whoever supplies it also has corner and finishing moldings to complete the job.
Very easy to work with on a table saw, **Wear a decent mask when cutting**

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:39 AM   #35
mwemaxxowner

Kinda what I was thinking, but mostly just trying to get a feel for if it's necessary. I didn't know if it's normal, or what sort of water resistance this material has. Maybe the wallpaper type face on this paneling is water resistant enough.

You could argue that it's been fine this long, but I have no idea how much the shower has been used. Almost exclusively, I and my family always showered at bath houses while camping, I'm sure there are others who do the same.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:49 AM   #36
{tpc}

Quote:
Kinda what I was thinking, but mostly just trying to get a feel for if it's necessary. I didn't know if it's normal, or what sort of water resistance this material has. Maybe the wallpaper type face on this paneling is water resistant enough.
That is really weird, as I have never seen one like this before. Maybe the wallpaper has been treated with something? Is there a air vent above the shower? It sure doesn't look like something has been there but maybe the previous owner updated it to make it look like it was never changed or repaired?

Quote:
You could argue that it's been fine this long, but I have no idea how much the shower has been used. Almost exclusively, I and my family always showered at bath houses while camping, I'm sure there are others who do the same.
I too used to do this, right up until an unfortunate incident a couple years back. Now its not nearly as much.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:52 AM   #37
Northofu1

I am new to RVing, but if I looked at a camper that had a shower that looked like your pics I would be concerned. I am sure a few of the elder statesmen of this group has seen this type of shower and would have some input.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:57 AM   #38
mwemaxxowner

I was hoping to hear about half of you say "Yeah mine's like that." Lol. If it wasn't always that way it was changed many moons ago, and changed with factory materials and methods. There is a little discoloration on the walls that I can tell when I move something that's fastened in place to them and peek behind it, and this in the shower is discolored just like all the rest. That sort of yellowed tint you see, so it's been this way for a while if nothing else.

I've found several other '05 Springdale Clearwater Editions online with pictures, but none inside the shower.

Ha! Found a walkthrough video. Same way! I think I'm going to file this away in the ol' noggin as keep an eye on but not concerned.

https://youtu.be/FqoYSP24tmw
Old 07-10-2019, 04:15 AM   #39
Northofu1

Perfect!
Keep a solution on the backburner.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:42 AM   #40
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I was hoping to hear about half of you say "Yeah mine's like that." Lol. If it wasn't always that way it was changed many moons ago, and changed with factory materials and methods. There is a little discoloration on the walls that I can tell when I move something that's fastened in place to them and peek behind it, and this in the shower is discolored just like all the rest. That sort of yellowed tint you see, so it's been this way for a while if nothing else.

I've found several other '05 Springdale Clearwater Editions online with pictures, but none inside the shower.

Ha! Found a walkthrough video. Same way! I think I'm going to file this away in the ol' noggin as keep an eye on but not concerned.

https://youtu.be/FqoYSP24tmw

I would say it was made like that. I would also say to pay CLOSE attention to those wall panels. I'm sure I've seen panels like that that were supposed to be "water resistant" and used in that manner. I've also seen them affected by exposure to water and swell up and crack similar to particle board. I'm sure there is a reason you don't see that type of shower enclosure any longer.

I would keep a close eye on all of the sealant around the pan and edges. Water will be the death of that material if it's what I think it is. Unlike the enclosures today with "floating plastic/fiberglass walls" suspended over a pan/tub (with a vertical lip) to allow for flexing and to prevent water from running inside the wall, those wall boards extend right down to the pan and depend on the sealant to keep any moisture out. The cut ends of that "fiber board", for lack of a better term, will suck water right into itself if it is exposed to water. That sealant is going to be subjected to the wall flexing around the pan. Using a flexible sealant, checked and replaced regularly, will go a long way in keeping those walls from disintegrating. Also, I would have a backup plan in the event you ever see any swelling or other indication that the material has absorbed water.