Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2017, 10:30 PM   #1
Danny5

Hello from Surprise, AZ!

Hello everyone! New member checking in from Surprise, AZ. We just picked up our Keystone Cougar 28RBSWE from Camping World of Mesa.

Wish I could say it was all flowers and rainbows, but the last 2 weeks have been stressful and I am just glad the Cougar is home now.

I married into an RV family, and for the last year we've been trying to get the cards to fall into place so we could have our own trailer, vs. surfing the couch in the in-laws 5er.

We bought the TV last year with the intention of getting a TT. She's a 16 Ram 1500 Crew Cab with Ramboxes.

And now, just over 1 year later, we purchased a 2017 Cougar.

All the major items were working great when we picked her up. There are some trim and fit issues, but we'll get those fixed after our first shake down run in 2 weeks. Being in AZ, we will get to enjoy year round camping. As an example, it's supposed to get to 80 tomorrow. I've felt some sorrow for those of you that have to winterize your trailers.

I have a mod list about a 30 items long. The biggest one is air bags, which arrive from Amazon on Sunday. We had to pull her about 60 miles from the dealer, and through rush hour traffic. I am hopeful we didn't buy too much trailer for our TV.

This noobie is grateful to hear any and all mod suggestions.

Danny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:14 AM   #2
notanlines

Danny, welcome to the forum from south Florida. I can tell from the smiles on two faces that this will be the start of something good! Can we assume that cute lady standing next to you is your significant other, not just your saleslady standing in? (Am I allowed to use the word "cute" without being relieved of the $25 million dollar job I wish I had?)
Anyway, the only problem you will and probably have already encountered is your RV is one large sail. 32 feet behind you like a huge piece of plywood in the wind. If your hitch is a good quality and adjusted properly you'll do just fine. And sadly, don't look for your airbags to do much for you. You probably won't be sorry you bought them, but the performance won't change much.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:49 AM   #3
Hodgy

Welcome from the Alberta Foothills.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:50 AM   #4
Danny5

Ah yes, that is my DW. Not pictured are the DKs. I have a grown daughter, a 10yo daughter, and a 3yo boy.

All 3 of the kids want to go on trips.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:53 AM   #5
5J's

Congrats on your purchase and welcome! As for your TV, that is a lot of trailer. If you feel comfortable and are within your GCWR , GVWR and GAWR then you'll be fine. I always like to err on the side of caution. Enjoy your new set up!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:54 AM   #6
Chris P

Welcome to the forum from New Jersey, Congratulations on the new camper and really nice TV. Big Dodge fan ! Lots of good info here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:45 AM   #7
Danny5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5J's View Post
Congrats on your purchase and welcome! As for your TV, that is a lot of trailer. If you feel comfortable and are within your GCWR , GVWR and GAWR then you'll be fine. I always like to err on the side of caution. Enjoy your new set up!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
We don't come close on any of those. Where its a little sketchy (for me) is that we are 900lbs on the tongue and we're only a half-ton truck. The axle can handle about 30% more, but the springs can't. Hence the bags.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:20 AM   #8
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny5 View Post
We don't come close on any of those. Where its a little sketchy (for me) is that we are 900lbs on the tongue and we're only a half-ton truck. The axle can handle about 30% more, but the springs can't. Hence the bags.
Remember, the tongue weight on your coach is listed as 930 lbs as delivered from the production line. By the time a lead acid battery, LP fuel, cargo, food, clothing, chairs, tables, tackle gear, chocks, tools, bikes, linen, fresh water, pots, pans, and any other required "camping gear" is added to the coach, you'll be surprised on how much your tongue weight will rise. Realistically, your TW could be well over 1200 lbs when your vacation begins. Remember, air bags don't add to axle capacities. The biggest challenge to any 1/2 ton truck is its finite payload. Rams (unfortunately) aren't the strongest in this category among the truck brands. Assuming a payload capacity around 1500 lbs with predictable tongue weights, you may be overweight on each trip. Based on a quote from your initial post "I am hopeful we didn't buy too much trailer for our TV", it sounds as if you're already questioning it. Safe travels should always be a priority for anyone pulling a 9,000 lb trailer.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:50 PM   #9
Danny5

Payload listed at 1600lbs. So sounds like we will be ok. I dumped the 60 gallons of fresh water the dealer loaded and towing today was much better.

Thanks for the... uh... thoughts???
Old 12-02-2017, 03:20 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Danny, pulled up the 28rbs and looks like it has a gvw of 8200 lbs. Having been there and done that I can say that is going to be on the edge of having too much trailer. Probably could get by with it but probably won't be the optimum towing experience.

The way my trailer is configured and loaded I come in at about 12% tongue weight and it pulls perfectly. I carry about 1/3rd tank fresh water in the event I need it while traveling; the tank is at the back of the trailer. Where you are in the weight spectrum I would suggest you travel with it empty as well unless it is situated in a position on the trailer where it might improve some sort of towing "issue" with some ballast added to it.

Payload, and just the fact that it is a 32' trailer behind a 1/2 ton would be my primary worries. If you had, say, 1000 lb tongue weight (a tad over 12%) that would leave you 600 lbs for all the things busterbrown listed above. 5 folks and the other stuff will eat up 600 lbs. in a heartbeat meaning you will be where so many have been.....leaving everything at home because you can't load it due to weight constraints.

The length of the trailer will try to wag the truck like a dog does its tail. There are some things you can do about it but it will still be there; get a GOOD weight distribution hitch with sway control. I use an Equailzer and some promote the Hensley but they are very expensive. Bad roads will bounce you all over. Air bags will help with that. You also need to upgrade the tires on the TV to LTs. The max pressure on my 1/2 ton OEM tires was 44 psi and I can tell you that at that pressure we sometimes felt like we were on the end of a whip.

Another consideration is the drivetrain of the truck. Hopefully you have the 5.7. If you don't, you need another truck. If you have the 5.7 you want 3.92 gears. If you have 3.55, the truck will do it but I wouldn't say how long the tranny will last if you pull a lot - it will shift its little heart out unless you lock out the upper gears.

So, for your original thought; "you're hopeful you didn't buy too much trailer for your TV", I would say you are at the very limit IF you watch what you load. Of course, you might find a new 3/4 ton on sale about this time of year. Good luck and congrats.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:35 PM   #11
Danny5

HA HA HA

A lot of doom and gloom in my future. Most people like throw a lot of shade at the half tons, and never really sure they deserve it.

For the record, our Ram has all the goodies and is rated to tow 10690, and we do have a G2 equalizer hitch.

This post was meant to be me, being new to towing, and being nervous, and not a lack of faith in my equipment. I understand that unless I have the latest 3/4 ton and a big diesel, most people are dubious. I get that.

Yes, still nervous, but getting more confident with each day. Thank You!
Old 12-02-2017, 09:08 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

I posted a long narrative of the problems with your situation.....you are dubious. As a self described newbie you are confident in your equipment; without knowing specs or anything else except that you think that 1/2 tons get a bad rap and yours can "tow" 10,000 lbs. There is a reason for the bad rap.

Further, you state that you have an Equalizer hitch....a G2....beginner hitch. For the size trailer you have you need the 4 point....minimum.

I won't waste your time or mine to further explain your problems. You need to dig into what's required to safely tow a large trailer....not just bravado through it with "I think". Your life, your family and others depend on it. It's YOUR responsibility to know the facts.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:17 PM   #13
Danny5

Ok, let's see if we can salvage a conversation and maybe meet somewhere in the middle.

As they say, assuming things makes an *** out of you and me. So, let's not assume that I was dumb enough to buy something my truck couldn't tow and then post about it here.

Second, I asked for modification suggestions. If you have them, let's hear them!

Third, I like your mention of tire pressure limitations. I checked and my TV tires can only handle 44psi. This is an upgrade we'll be making soon. Thanks for that call out.

And with that, I hope YOU have a good night.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:40 PM   #14
Hodgy

Danny5, again welcome to this forum.

You will work it out with the "help" from everyone on this forum. Some of us have no experience (me), and some of us have a lot of experience.

Somewhere in the middle you will find your way. Enjoy the trip, glean what is helpful and useful to you. This is a community that stands behind you and the journey you are on.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:46 PM   #15
Danny5

Thanks!

I am currently working on a list that is 40 lines long. Anyone have any advice on how to permanently mount items to the walls? Other than Oscar Rivets? Those things are crazy expensive!!!
Old 12-02-2017, 09:53 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Ok, let's see if we can salvage a conversation and maybe meet somewhere in the middle.

As they say, assuming things makes an *** out of you and me. So, let's not assume that I was dumb enough to buy something my truck couldn't tow and then post about it here.

Second, I asked for modification suggestions. If you have them, let's hear them!

Third, I like your mention of tire pressure limitations. I checked and my TV tires can only handle 44psi. This is an upgrade we'll be making soon. Thanks for that call out.

And with that, I hope YOU have a good night.

I'm not going to harp on this all night long but....you posted the query " I am hopeful we didn't buy too much trailer for our TV". Not a question, a concern from a newbie thereby prompting responses. So, I was not assuming you were "dumb enough" to buy something your TV couldn't tow....you already stated you didn't know . so..... Nuff said.....work on your modifications - and new tires, and a hitch and..... I hope YOU have a good night as well.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:58 PM   #17
Hodgy

See . . . . . . . .

Old 12-03-2017, 04:54 AM   #18
Tinner12002

Whew!! Thought that was going to get out of hand there...lol. All kidding aside, welcome to the forum, lots of great info and good people on here! I would recommend the air bags just to help stiffen the ride some and help get your headlights back down where they need to be. You shouldn't need much air in them to do the job. Other than that, go slow get used to your equipment and happy camping!
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:00 AM   #19
notanlines

At risk of being repetitious, THIS is the kind of conversation that keeps a large number of members coming back. There is a disagreement, opinions are given, slightly harsh words are exchanged and then all is well. I like it. I'm betting that the OP actually does look a little closer to what equipment he has. It is how we all learn after all.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:11 AM   #20
5J's

Quote:
Hey Danny, I'm debating the bags my self. What bags are you debating? On board compressor? Keep us posted on the mods I probably enjoy surfing those conversations the most. I'm also debating the sulastic springs to soften up my unloaded ride. Happy Trails my friend!

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote