Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2013, 04:37 AM   #1
Lost

How cold before pipes freeze

I can't believe there calling for snow today and tonight there calling for the temp to get down to around 27f for several hours untill the sun warms it up tomorrow to the mid 50s. Will that temp be enought to freeze the pipes and burst them? I've always heard that it takes a hard freeze were it's below freezing and lasts for a day at that temp. Just worried that when I go up to the trailer latter this week I'll find a mess
Old 05-12-2013, 04:41 AM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
I can't believe there calling for snow today and tonight there calling for the temp to get down to around 27f for several hours untill the sun warms it up tomorrow to the mid 50s. Will that temp be enought to freeze the pipes and burst them? I've always heard that it takes a hard freeze were it's below freezing and lasts for a day at that temp. Just worried that when I go up to the trailer latter this week I'll find a mess
What you describe is not enough to worry about IMHO.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:46 AM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
There's no exact science to this. There are too many variables. It really depends on how fast the temp drops, and then how long it stays down there.

I usually recommend to folks that de-winterize early and then camp in spring and fall when the weather could be an issue that they consider blowing out the lines when not using the trailer. The adapter to do this is only a couple of dollars, and most small any compressor has enough oomph to push the water out.

Particular areas of concern are the toilet valve (tiny plastic parts in a tiny space), the pump itself, and any piping that is not either PEX or the braided flex hosing. If you drain all the holding tanks, you should be OK there.

Best of luck with this.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
chuck&gail

If your furnace heats the belly, and tanks, why not just run furnace a bit?
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
iamrwnut

You will carry residual heat from the day well into the night. The freezing temps will generally come 3-6 am. Not long enough this time of the year to cause you trouble. I ran my heat this evening utill about 8:30 to ensure no issues myself.
They are calling for 30 here tonight. Below freezing between 2 and 5 am here.

Rob, Sheryl and Bear (border collie/basset hound)
2008 Laredo 311RL TT
2004 Silverado 2500 6.0L 2wd
US Navy 1982-1995
Homebrewer
BBQ fanatic
iamrwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck&gail View Post
If your furnace heats the belly, and tanks, why not just run furnace a bit?
From the OP's original post, it sounds like he's quite a distance from the trailer and won't be able to get to it for several days.

I'm also leery of relying on the furnace to heat the belly unless the owner has verified that the ducting is in good shape and that the furnace actually does get enough heat down there to prevent freezing of the pipes and tanks. As has been pointed out a number of times, the so called "Polar Package" is not what the sales critters would like us to believe it is.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:53 AM   #7
TAZ23

Speaking from my own experiance I dont think you will have a problem with freezing. We have been in the same situation as you exept the temps went into the low twentys overnite and have not had a problem. Travel trailers retain some daytime heat well into the night. As steveC7010 said you can buy a blow out plug at any camping store or even Wallyworld and use most any small compressor to quickly blow out your lines early and late in the year.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:09 AM   #8
Comptech

If you have the Polar Package or similar you can camp in 0 degree weather...

Polar package plus
Cougar has been zero degree tested. The Polar Package Plus allows you to camp to zero degrees without worry of your tanks or water lines freezing up. We also add upgraded insulation to our slide-out floors to control the hot and cold exchange and unlike our competition we merge our skirt metal to the I-Beam for complete enclosure of your fifth wheel underbelly.

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comptech View Post
If you have the Polar Package or similar you can camp in 0 degree weather...

Polar package plus
Cougar has been zero degree tested. The Polar Package Plus allows you to camp to zero degrees without worry of your tanks or water lines freezing up. We also add upgraded insulation to our slide-out floors to control the hot and cold exchange and unlike our competition we merge our skirt metal to the I-Beam for complete enclosure of your fifth wheel underbelly.

YUP, if you believe that "hype" LOL However, the OP has a Montana, not a Cougar, so his "Polar Package Plus" is only a "Polar Package" <wink>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:29 AM   #10
Comptech

Actually the OP has a Glacier Package with R-21 floor and R-38 roof insulation
according to the Keystone site... Plenty of insulation to survive one night of 27 degrees...

http://www.keystonerv.com/montana-high-country/

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #11
Bugle Boy

I agree with SteveC7010. Many variables. Two things are not variables however. Water freezes at 32 deg F and when it freezes it expands. When it expands it can break stuff.

I guess it depends on how much of a gambler you want to be. Could be very costly to take such a chance.
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

https://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps6b1f8d57.jpg
Bugle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #12
SAABDOCTOR

hey wait a second My montana says "Artic package" that means better glue to hold the sticker on in cold weather or my malamutes will love the cold weather. but one night at those temps you should be fine!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote