Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2020, 07:27 PM   #1
chunker

Cable slide adjustments

I asked a series of questions about cable slide and got lots of comments about sitting or standing in a retracted/ or partially retracted slide. What kind of periodic maintenance and/or adjustments are typically required? Steel wire/cable stretches and likely the cables don't stretch at similar rates. What movement characteristics do you see when needing, or approaching needing, to adjust? Since I have never had the cable slide type mechanism I am also unfamiliar with how they work other than pull it out and in.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:33 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

The cable slide system is made by BAL/Norco. They have some excellent downloads that I would recommend you get and become familiar with.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:40 PM   #3
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The cable slide system is made by BAL/Norco. They have some excellent downloads that I would recommend you get and become familiar with.
Thanks I'll research that.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:42 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Having had the ram type slides with no issues and the BAL cable slides, I can truthfully say, IMO, they both are about as dependable. I've never had a problem with the cable slides but others have; same for ram, hydraulic or Schwintek. The one thing that is a drawback....and I just bought another new one, is the wear bar/Darco design Keystone puts on the cable slides. With rollers or another surface on the bottom of the slides I doubt the cable slides would ever be an issue but the Darco is there and has to be watched.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:46 AM   #5
KRumm

Familiarize yourself with how to manually move the slide in and out with the flexible hex drive so you don’t have to learn how to do it when you have a problem...

There are a number of YouTube videos on repairs and adjustments...

The things I took away from those were regular checks:

Make sure the cabling near the motor are relatively taught...
Make sure the motor/gear is not leaking oil onto the slide roof
Watch each cable individually to make sure they are not chafing on the RV wall as they go in and out
Look at the cables where they attach to the slide to make sure they are secure and not sliding around their attachment bracket
Look for any signs of wear (shiny cable) or chafing on the cables
Look on the outside floor of the slide for wear marks
Look at the seals behavior as they go in and out (lubricate with proper lube)
Look at the glide/wear bar (under the carpet and from the outside) that it is clean of dirt/debris and no unusual wear marks (If your slide is jerky this is the first thing to check)
Make sure not to overload any slide (Try to keep closets slide free of heavy items)

Please if I have missed any of the basic other please chime in...
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:59 AM   #6
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRumm View Post
Familiarize yourself with how to manually move the slide in and out with the flexible hex drive so you don’t have to learn how to do it when you have a problem...

There are a number of YouTube videos on repairs and adjustments...

The things I took away from those were regular checks:

Make sure the cabling near the motor are relatively taught...
Make sure the motor/gear is not leaking oil onto the slide roof
Watch each cable individually to make sure they are not chafing on the RV wall as they go in and out
Look at the cables where they attach to the slide to make sure they are secure and not sliding around their attachment bracket
Look for any signs of wear (shiny cable) or chafing on the cables
Look on the outside floor of the slide for wear marks
Look at the seals behavior as they go in and out (lubricate with proper lube)
Look at the glide/wear bar (under the carpet and from the outside) that it is clean of dirt/debris and no unusual wear marks (If your slide is jerky this is the first thing to check)
Make sure not to overload any slide (Try to keep closets slide free of heavy items)

Please if I have missed any of the basic other please chime in...
Thanks this is a case of I don't know what I don't know. I like to know how things work and hate surprises at an inconvenient time trying to figure that out. Hopefully the PDI guy/gal at the dealership is knowledgeable and patient and will be able to go over those things. I'll also have plenty of time to explore and figure out things before any long trip.

Meanwhile the trailer is in the hand of the mysterious shipping company, has been since late February, and SHOULD be in any time. 10-14 day time frame per Keystone Raptor CS.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:41 PM   #7
KRumm

When doing your PDI make sure that the cables/slide are in order... And if not make them adjust them... Also ask them the warranty period for cable adjustments... Some only have a 90 day warranty on adjustments...
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:22 PM   #8
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRumm View Post
When doing your PDI make sure that the cables/slide are in order... And if not make them adjust them... Also ask them the warranty period for cable adjustments... Some only have a 90 day warranty on adjustments...
I'll do that meanwhile I got word it arrived today. Salesman sent me a pic and tomorrow I'll go gawk at it a bit. They will install slide toppers and the folding steps and Wednesday I'll do my PDI.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpeg
Views:	372
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	25546  
Old 03-13-2020, 05:23 AM   #9
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
I'll do that meanwhile I got word it arrived today. Salesman sent me a pic and tomorrow I'll go gawk at it a bit. They will install slide toppers and the folding steps and Wednesday I'll do my PDI.
That my friend is a beast! Looks great. Congrats and all the best.

P.S. Just watched the youtube video on it, your exterior color scheme choice is better than the darker Grey / Black scheme.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, slide