Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #1
Rominks

Cougar 30rli water leak

I have a 2017 30rli. When I turn my water pump off and then press the toilet foot pedal water leaks from the top of the toilet on the back side where the line connects to the interior diverter. However, when I turn the water pump back on the leaking stops. Any ideas as to what could cause this? Is there some sort of valve that's broke?
Rominks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:32 PM   #2
LHaven

The symptom sounds like behavior you would get from a backflow preventer / vacuum breaker. I don't know enough about RV plumbing to know if those are standard at a toilet connection.

You didn't specify your toilet model, but looking an exploded diagram from a random Dometic model, there's a check valve in that spot that might exhibit that problem.

Next time you turn off your pump, relieve the remaining line pressure at a sink before stepping on the toilet pedal and see what happens.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:47 PM   #3
Rominks

Guess the model would help, it's a 300. That seemed to work so I will try again in the morning. I've always been in the habit if either turning the pump off or removing the city water line when we leave the camper. Thank you
Old 03-07-2020, 02:53 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The Dometic toilet lines have a "automatic bowl fill" feature that depends on the anti-siphon/backflow valve to fill the toilet bowl. When you flush, as you let up on the foot pedal, there's no water flow into the bowl, but 2 or 3 minutes later, the bowl has an inch or two of water in it. It's that "leakage under pressure after the valve closes" that allows for that feature. If you turn off the water pump, then open the foot valve, the water "backflows to the anti-siphon valve and leaks into the toilet bowl "almost instantly"...

That may be what you're seeing. As suggested, rather than relieve line pressure with the foot valve, turn on the cold water faucet at the bathroom sink. You'll probably find that with pressure relieved, the "leakage is different"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:37 PM   #5
LHaven

Ah, you know, when he said "leaking," my mind immediately went to "floor." If it's "leaking" into the bowl, that's no big deal.

As far as removing the feed hose whenever you leave the trailer, I highly recommend mating one of these to one of these and leaving it on the RV end of your hose permanently. (Camco makes a one-piece in 45° but not 90°, go figure.) It'll save you lots of unscrewing effort.
Old 03-07-2020, 03:40 PM   #6
Rominks

It was squirting out of something on the backside at the top of the toilet all over the wall. I tried it a couple of times now by opening the sink and then the foot pedal with no issues. Just really odd as all of the times I empty the black with the pump or use the toilet while on the road this has never happened before.
Old 03-07-2020, 03:57 PM   #7
LHaven

Now I'm confused by your reassertion that this is occurring at the "top of the toilet." The Dometic 300 has its intake connection near floor level, in back of the pedal. (I'm familiar with this because I've had my own no-end of issues with mine.) Are you sure you have this model?

In my case, one of the "sample defects" in my unit was that there are two screws holding that valve in, except in my rig there was only one (and the manual says they are none, go figure). Installed as it was, about four inches from a wall, it was impossible to debug without a mirror.

It's very common for a backflow preventer to spurt when the feed pressure drops below the device pressure, that's how it works. Normally I would expect some sort of shield designed to channel the spurt somewhere harmless, and maybe yours is missing. But that's why knowing the right model is important.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:14 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Hmmmmm

I wonder if the leak is from the fitting for the "optional sprayer assembly" ???

It's essentially a "kitchen sink hand spray" that screws into the bottom of the back-flow valve. I wonder if that fitting might be "split, damaged or leaking" ????

Ii also agree to permanently using a 90 degree elbow and a 1/4 turn off/on valve on the city water hose. It's also a "grand idea" to have a pressure regulator (not a "pinhole restrictor" as a part of the water supply.

ADDED: Here is a photo of the back-flow valve and the hand sprayer kit. The back-flow valve is on most of the "newer Dometic toilets" already and it's just a matter of knocking out the plastic plug, adding the hose, hose mount and clamp. I wonder if your back-flow valve spray connector is what's leaking????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dometic hand sprayer.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	25477  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 04:39 PM   #9
Rominks

I'm on tank water versus city water. I use a brass 90dg 40psi fitting when attached to city line. The intake connects at the foot pedal with a line going up to the top. The back of the toilet is about 2" from the wall. I'm going to try to attach pics.

My water connection box does not have enough room to allow me to keep anything attached with the cover closed. The 90dh fitting sticks out as it is about 2" with the cover closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200307_183040.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	25478   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200307_183046.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	25479   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200307_183058.jpg
Views:	223