Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2019, 05:23 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

In Command...Again

We recently had a thread about "do you like In Command" and my takeaway was that for the majority it was a negative. Most of the comments seemed to center around "connectivity" etc. Some commented that it was nice to bring in the awning...I have a remote for that already. I don't want to rehash that thread but what I'm interested in wasn't really addressed it didn't seem.

I am seriously considering another trailer. I truly like Keystone's floorplans but have some issues with some aspects as anyone who follows me knows. The In Command system looks to me like a show stopper. I'm not interested in "connectivity" I just want it to work as well, and as reliably, as switches. It appears to me that it doesn't and the jury is still out if the control panel just dies...then what?

Looking at a new Grand Design they have chosen to stick with the switches (smart) while Keystone has moved to the unreliable (as best I can tell) In Command. I like the Keystone better than the Grand Design due to a couple of things plus the 10% increase in pricing for the name. At this moment however I'm thinking In Command isn't worth the trouble.

For those that have it, from just a use standpoint...not connectivity, not "talking" to it from afar, but just making things work; how has it worked for that? Any catastrophic failures leaving you immobilized? I appreciate any feedback.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:11 PM   #2
CaptnJohn

I'm am old guy and like switches too. For that reason when I bought the 2019 Montana I passed on the Legacy edition. There were a few things I wanted but did not want the In Command. I had a remote with a 5er years ago and never used it, still have a remote for it around here somewhere. If a switch goes bad, replace it ~~ and they rarely do.
Looking at a GD, pass on the Reflection for sure. The Solitude should be fine. I looked at them and decided another Montana made more sense.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:20 PM   #3
Tbos

No issues with my in command yet. It doesn’t control the HVAC and I’m glad about that.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:49 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I'm am old guy and like switches too. For that reason when I bought the 2019 Montana I passed on the Legacy edition. There were a few things I wanted but did not want the In Command. I had a remote with a 5er years ago and never used it, still have a remote for it around here somewhere. If a switch goes bad, replace it ~~ and they rarely do.
Looking at a GD, pass on the Reflection for sure. The Solitude should be fine. I looked at them and decided another Montana made more sense.

Looked at the GD Solitude 3740HR but just not impressed with GD overall for the premium they want to charge. You have to reach the level of a Solitude (top line) to get a good suspension (MorRyde) and the rest of it did not look any better than a Keystone Cougar IMO. I really appreciate your feedback.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:14 PM   #5
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
No issues with my in command yet. It doesn’t control the HVAC and I’m glad about that.
Same here (no HVAC connection), no real issues. Did have 1 panic when went to roll up the awning a got a "In command not available" message but just had to reboot and everything was fine. I do feel they lumped too many lights together (can't turn the over the sinks lights on without turning all of the overhead kitchen lights on for example) but all in all neither overly pleased or displeased with the system. It would not stop me from buying a trailer that was what I wanted in every other way.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:08 PM   #6
Charlie Johnson

Been using in command for two years full timing, with no problems other than rebooting once in a while. Being able to run the slides from my phone is great in tight spots. I was very skeptical at first, not being very tech savvy.
Charlie Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:01 AM   #7
ChuckS

The latest version of In Command system appears to be much better due to hard wired connection from DC... display commander to the BCM... control module..

However... there is still NO provision for manual override of the hydraulic slide outs and six point level up system...

This would have to be done as it is on non in command systems using cordless drill to turn pump motor and manually opening desired solenoid valves on slide out or levelers... really no way around this because the hyd pump has to spin and solenoid valves have to open.

Mine doesn’t have in command.. but I’d consider a new fifth wheel with latest global connect version..

Also.. the latest version of in command has NO manual over ride for HVAC operation of air conditioners or furnace... I don’t like the idea of HVAC control thru in command...a stand alone digital thermostat is much more reliable

Just points to consider.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:38 AM   #8
GeekSquadOfUn

I have a 2019 Cougar 315RLS and love it all. iN-Command included.

Admittedly I am pretty tech-savvy and love intelligent gadgets. I have an wireless RVLock and smart TVs (Alexa/Google Assistant) in my unit, and a few other things....

The auto levelling is not controlled by it, it has its own wired control panel in the left compartment. Works well for me and I like it.

The features I like the most: controlling my AC and furnace from my bed and the awnings from anywhere, often outside when the wind picks up while sitting outside. Slide outs are great too.

Turning the water heater (E, G or both), water pump, the ceiling vent and the lights are nice to have.

My friend purchased a 2019 Montana HC and his 330RL does not have it, he admitted last week after seeing my experience, that he wished he had it.

The problem as I see it is a generational issue. Typical RV buyers are baby boomer or olders, and many have a hard time with new tech ( I was a Microsoft/Cisco engineer and trainer for many years). It was a gutsy decision for Keystone to embrace iN-Command, I'll give them that much. I guess they are trying to appeal to younger demographics. I can only imagine the round table discussions they had over this...

More RV manufacturers are doing it each year. ASA Electronics had to make it more reliable, it took a few years. It is reliable now. The Global Connect version is stable and ready for prime time.

Dealers IMHO have a hard time keeping up with new anything, let alone iN-Command and mobile phones/tablet. Most have a hard time changing the Ring tone on their phones.

It will take a few years, but we'll get to a point where, one day, all RVers will reminisce over the buttons of yesteryears.
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:45 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

As a tech, I don't like any system that requires a mobile app for diagnosing issues. I have enough stuff on my phone...I LIKE the buttons!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:09 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSquadOfUn View Post
I have a 2019 Cougar 315RLS and love it all. iN-Command included.

Admittedly I am pretty tech-savvy and love intelligent gadgets. I have an wireless RVLock and smart TVs (Alexa/Google Assistant) in my unit, and a few other things....

The auto levelling is not controlled by it, it has its own wired control panel in the left compartment. Works well for me and I like it.

The features I like the most: controlling my AC and furnace from my bed and the awnings from anywhere, often outside when the wind picks up while sitting outside. Slide outs are great too.

Turning the water heater (E, G or both), water pump, the ceiling vent and the lights are nice to have.

My friend purchased a 2019 Montana HC and his 330RL does not have it, he admitted last week after seeing my experience, that he wished he had it.

The problem as I see it is a generational issue. Typical RV buyers are baby boomer or olders, and many have a hard time with new tech ( I was a Microsoft/Cisco engineer and trainer for many years). It was a gutsy decision for Keystone to embrace iN-Command, I'll give them that much. I guess they are trying to appeal to younger demographics. I can only imagine the round table discussions they had over this...

More RV manufacturers are doing it each year. ASA Electronics had to make it more reliable, it took a few years. It is reliable now. The Global Connect version is stable and ready for prime time.

Dealers IMHO have a hard time keeping up with new anything, let alone iN-Command and mobile phones/tablet. Most have a hard time changing the Ring tone on their phones.

It will take a few years, but we'll get to a point where, one day, all RVers will reminisce over the buttons of yesteryears.

I think you are partially correct about it being a generational issue...to a degree. The issue as I see it is trying to let/make a processor do everything for you to add a bit of convenience or "gee/wow" factor. I'm not impressed that easily.

I have however programmed lots of systems and shot trouble on lots of database/hardware issues. My daughter is a lead programmer/debugger for the State of FL and we get to discuss issues. From those experiences I completely understand how complex a situation can get when trying to analyze software/hardware that has run amok. When that issue then brings my RV, and my ability to do critical tasks, to a standstill vs having a hard connect with a button that I can immediately troubleshoot without assistance from the manufacturer or try to find hard to get parts....I'm all in with that. The gee/wow factor is fine for a home possibly, and maybe a vehicle, but if it can leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere without any way to manually correct a critical problem, then it's a weakness, not a strength IMO.

Hearing that later generations of In Command have improved is encouraging and if they are leaving some of the critical areas out of the control of the processor - that is a good thing. The last thing I want is to leave puppy here to run to town and return an hour later to find that a system has turned on the furnace on a 100+ degree day.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:06 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

an issue (or maybe not) that hasn't yet been addressed:

GM and Keystone entered an agreement to interface the In-Command system with future GM vehicles. What does that do to "advances in technology" for RAM or Ford owners ????

I can envision much the same happening here as happened with Apple vs Microsoft or Android vs I-Phone....

Will the "new and improved" updates to the system support both the old technology or will it migrate to an "exclusive GM/Keystone platform" ?????

I'm not "making accusations" rather "wondering how the system will evolve" and who gets "left in the dust" when it comes to updates and glitch resolution. Will "they" work on the GM/Keystone platform for fixes and after it's resolved, then (with no priority) try to find a work-around for RAM/Ford owners …… Or, will the "corporate policy" turn to a "GM/Keystone investment protection" attitude

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:20 AM   #12
ChuckS

For GMC 2020 trucks the In Command is really just a blue tooth application incorporated into the vehicle display unit in the truck... why I’d want to extend slides, awnings, etc from the display of my truck doesn’t pass my logic test...

It’s just more garbage that GMC is integrating into the vehicle platform electronic display unit that WILL give owners troubles. And I’d love to see how the truck dealership tries to trouble shoot an In Command issue on their app display in the truck.

Does that mean the owner has to tow the fifth wheel to the GMC truck dealer so they can see what’s not working, why the app won’t sync with the BCM on the fifth wheel ?

It’s why I’m still driving my 2007 LBZ Duramax with no DEF and no fancy dash display... it works, I can work on it myself, and I don’t have to worry about a fancy dash display crapping out after warranty expires...

And at almost 66 I can hold my own with any “New” technology ... better than most youngsters...

Again... with the latest version of “Hard wired” DC... display commander to BCM I’d purchase fifth wheel with this with no second thoughts.

The nice thing is a “standard” for wire color coding is being used so this would make any future trouble shooting on a specific system a tad easier...

However.. the HVAC system shouldn’t have been tied into the In Command ...

The BCM is relatively easy to trouble shoot and they were smart and used socketed SS relays of the same type for all circuits. So if a circuit failed due to a bad SS relay it would be easy to swap for trouble shooting.

The hydraulic slide and six point leveling system is easy to manually over ride if the need arose

And... Jensen ASA tech support appears to be outstanding

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:20 PM   #13
slimchancepistolero

my wife has a 2019 Ram Laramie 1500 and i have a 2019 Ram Big Horn 2500 .. we tow a 2019 Cougar 29RDB with the In Command ... first off Ram has enough trouble getting their trk U Connect working right to add the In Command system ... when we bought the Cougar the In Command did NOT work well with our Android S8 or S9+ phones ... i consider myself tech savvy .... no luck so i called the InCommand tech support and they gave me a web address to go download another NEW app that would match MY Cougar .... i did, the new app scanned my system and from that day on i have had NO problems ... i will say that like others when the day comes something does not work and i am tech savvy enough to know it will come, i would rather have wired switches ... my overhead lites in the living, bath and bedroom work off In Command and once on have individual switches ... the kitchen sink area is independent and the bunk area has wall switches independent of In Command
as others have said ... there is a control module with switches in the basement where WHEN things fail you can override operation
2010 Passport Ultra Lite Grand Touring 195rb
2019 Ram 1500 Larime Hemi w/eTorque quad cab
2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4L Hemi 5th whl prep
slimchancepistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:41 PM   #14
LHaven

On the balance, I like my inCommand. I encountered one issue with it early on, where it wouldn't operate the furnace or air conditioning at extreme temps when you most needed them, but given that it ended up being a Dometic interface box problem, I'm not sure an old-fashioned thermostat wouldn't have encountered the same issue.

In my rig at least, the lights have manual switches as well as being controllable by inCommand, so that's not an issue. In fact, I have one bank of lights in the slide that is only controlled by switches, and I wish inCommand could control them. I am aware there are pushbutton bypass controls for the awning and slide, though I've never had to use them, plus the rig came with a manual slide crank, so belt and suspenders.

I like being able to turn the inside and outside lights on in my rig when I have to walk out to it on a moonless night, and off when I get back inside. I like being able to adjust the air conditioning or furnace temperature from my bed in the middle of the night without getting up. I like being able to extend the slide from outside while I'm watching for obstructions. I like being able to see the black tank water level from outside when I am using the SaniFlush port. And on the rare occasion when I have to leave the pets in the rig to go somewhere that doesn't allow them, I like being able to monitor the temperature inside the rig remotely, and adjust it if necessary.

Certainly I could live in a rig without the inCommand, and did for years, but it's grown on me, and I appreciate having it.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:30 AM   #15
Tfmyers

We don't like it but nothing so far that has immobilized the system. Also, don't try getting help from their service technicians they were totally clueless when it came to helping out! Good luck were going to Arizona in 2wks so see how it all operates for our 2nd winter with the Keystone.
Tfmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:52 AM   #16
Apalinto

We have had our 2019 Cougar 315RLS for a year now and very much like the In Command system. Originally, we had to make sure we had the correct app for our phones, but the system itself has never failed us. I use my phone about 90% of the time vs. the wall mounted controller. I appreciate being able to control the slides, awnings, outside lights, thermostat controls and water heater remotely from the phone. Something about being able to move around while I check things out is a comfort. I can walk out to the water heater and and hear it kick in, I can check my slides extending while outside the rig, I can wake up and turn on the furnace from bed and I can turn on my awning light while positioned at a window for security. Not why we bought our Cougar but happy it came with this option.
Apalinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #17
Neil MacKinnon

Have had it for 2 years on a 2018 Cougar with absolutely no problems. Like the fact that I can put slides out from outside actually at the slide and don't have to worry about obstructions. Same with canopy.
Neil MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:02 PM   #18
Jim2366

I found on youtube and subscribed to ASAElectronics I found that they are informative:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ASAElec...query=keystone
Jim2366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #19
Rdynbama

We have a 2019 Raptor with N Command and so far I haven’t had any trouble with it
Still learning it though
The six point auto level is controlled separately
The floor plan on the Raptor was the selling point not the N Command
I’m told by the tech at the dealership that everything can be overridden through a monitoring system in the basement but I haven’t had to do that yet

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Rdynbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:36 PM   #20
rodgebone

i dont have In Command but i would prefer NOT to have it. i want redundancy and old school switches that either work or dont - not some technology that is so hard to troubleshoot when it fails that the effort becomes pointless and leaves you without knowing what the backup plan should be to get things working again. i saw a Keystone factory tour vid where they touted the In Command and I instantly thought - what happens if there is a problem with it and basic functions stop working? and the other thing i thought was its over the top and too materialistic for camping and touring. i could see the use in a stick built home or for someone who views their RV/TT as a toy and cant get enough gadgets. but from a reliability factor i dont see the need for this. id rather have simplicity in a system when dealing with an issue on the road far from the dealership
rodgebone is offline   Reply With Quote