Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2020, 12:46 PM   #1
JoePoke

Power Dist Ctr Alarm

My WE 8955 power dist cetr is making a loud alam sound every 60 src and if I unplug the Land Cable I have on power. Need to understand what the issue is?
JoePoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:37 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

What year and model of trailer? How old are the batteries? If I understand correctly the "alarm" stops when plugged into shore power?

I'm not aware of the 8955 having an alarm but I have read about them seemingly make one. I'm thinking it may be that your batteries are discharged or depleted?? Check those if you haven't.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:59 PM   #3
JoePoke

2015 cougar

With no shore power I have no power. Had an automotive guy out today and he check the batteries and they are both good and only 1 year old. The noise is definately comming from the dist ctr, sounds like a smoke detector, I know they are OK and not the source. A second but maybe related is I cannot get the trailer rajck to work even though there is power to the switch and after the switch when when pressed.
Old 06-08-2020, 03:19 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

With no shore power you will have no AC appliances; microwave, AC etc.

If the batteries are good, fuses, converter etc. you would have 12vdc power; lights, jack etc.

If you have 12vdc going into the switch for the jack and 12vdc coming out either you don't have enough 12vdc to power the jack or the jack is bad. Since nothing else works I would again be looking back at the 12vdc power. Do you have a VOM and know how to use it?
Old 06-08-2020, 03:50 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Danny, If the battery is bad (dead cell, etc which even a new battery can have) a VOM meter won't do a lot of good till the battery is fully charged on shore power then it should be seeing a certain amount of voltage... perhaps a bit over 13VDC (can't recall for sure). If it can't get up to this charge, the converter is the culprit or a loose wire near the battery or the like. If the guy has a load tester (the mechanic should have had one) then battery health can be easily diagnosed. I use mine when a battery is in question as we own a clunker trailer, clunker Crown Vic (wife loves her clunker) and my clunker Superduty with two batteries. I live too far from an autoparts store to let some genius there load test my batteries.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:12 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I've used a VOM for all kinds of things over the last 50 years and they tell you a lot if you know how to read them. If the batteries are discharged you will not read full voltage....dead giveaway. If there is a blown fuse it tells you right then and there. Continuity? Yep. Voltage drop? Yep. Bad converter output? Yep. There are things that a VOM won't do but finding a problem with battery power isn't one of them unless you are looking for amperage. One might want a hydrometer to double check the cells on the battery but it's just "battery". No need for an auto store to "check" a battery IMO...never have.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:52 PM   #7
JoePoke

Batteries Seem Good, but?

When the the auto guy checked the batteries vith his meter we got 12.8 V now matter where or what. We turned off the 120 shore line, no change, he watched as I thurned it back on an no change, not even a slight surge which we expected as we brought the 120 volt AC back on line.

What is the souce of this loud alarm coming from the Dist Ctr every 60 seconds? I gave not checked out all of the fuses, but since everything seems to work with the shore power on I think they are good. Is there any fuese or other circuit that could cause this alarm; It is an ULTRA III WF-8900ANP

When I turn off the shore power I lose all power, no lights, no DC, and obiously no AC power.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:35 PM   #8
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePoke View Post
When the the auto guy checked the batteries vith his meter we got 12.8 V now matter where or what. We turned off the 120 shore line, no change, he watched as I thurned it back on an no change, not even a slight surge which we expected as we brought the 120 volt AC back on line.

What is the souce of this loud alarm coming from the Dist Ctr every 60 seconds? I gave not checked out all of the fuses, but since everything seems to work with the shore power on I think they are good. Is there any fuese or other circuit that could cause this alarm; It is an ULTRA III WF-8900ANP

When I turn off the shore power I lose all power, no lights, no DC, and obiously no AC power.
I know of no alarm on the power panel. Are you sure it's not coming from the propane leak detector which might be nearby the panel?

When you have shore power connected are the lights and other DC loads working?

Do you have a battery disconnect switch? If so is it on? The other thing to check is the Auto reset breakers on the tongue of the trailer.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:34 PM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

The gas detector will sound with low voltage and also when it has reached it's life span.( as short as five years) If you have 12v when on shore power your converter is working. Everything seems to point to the battery, disconnect or poor connection at battery or ground. JM2¢, Hank
If you still have problems PM me with your location in Venice I may be able to help. I am in Venice East.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:36 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Joe reading just your posts I have a couple questions.
Is this camper new to you?

If you have owned it for several years then has anything changed or happened since the last time it worked correctly? (I.e. did you just install the batteries?)

Also, when you measured the voltage at the jack switch where was the VOM negative leed attached?

I know of no "alarm" on the converter. Do the 120vac appliances work? (a/c, microwave, TV)

Without answers to the above questions I'm only guessing but here goes. If you had connected the battery with reversed polarity for even an instant you would have burned out the 2 reverse polarity fuses in the power center. If that happened no voltage can go to or from the battery. The battery voltage would remain constant as there is no load to pull it down. The converter would not increase that voltage as the connection between the converter and the battery would be interrupted by the burned out fuses. Same results if there is a battery disconnect switch that's turned to "off" or "disconnected".

As for the "jack" I'm guessing your referring to the tongue jack. Typically it is connected to the battery directly thru a wire with a ring terminal and an in-line fuse. The ground for that jack is thru the mounting plate and 3 bolts into the frame. If the VOM was connected with the positive lead on the switch wire and the negative on the battery negative post then it would show voltage if the battery disconnect is off and the disconnect is wired thru the negative battery cable. The VOM neg lead should be connected to the frame when testing voltage to the jack.

Hope this helps.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:55 AM   #11
JoePoke

This is not from the Dist Ctr, maybe the gas detector?

I have spoken withthe supplier of the the dist ctr and they assume me the alam is not associated with the dist ctr. So if it is the gas detector, where is it and how do I address it?
Old 06-09-2020, 07:18 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

The LPG detector is located near the stove or furnace which are the two "main LPG appliances in the trailer. If you think you hear an alarm "in" the power center, chances are it's located "in the immediate vicinity of the power center. Typically, it's mounted on the cabinet wall, just under or beside the range, usually about 6" to 12" above the floor.

It looks like a small "plastic box" screwed to the baseboard of the cabinet.

Once you find it, you can get the model number and look up the owner's manual for that specific LPG detector and follow the instructions in the manual.

It may be white, ivory, brown or black. It'll look something like this photo:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LPG DETECTOR1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	27929  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:07 AM   #13
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The LPG detector is located near the stove or furnace which are the two "main LPG appliances in the trailer. If you think you hear an alarm "in" the power center, chances are it's located "in the immediate vicinity of the power center. Typically, it's mounted on the cabinet wall, just under or beside the range, usually about 6" to 12" above the floor.

It looks like a small "plastic box" screwed to the baseboard of the cabinet.

Once you find it, you can get the model number and look up the owner's manual for that specific LPG detector and follow the instructions in the manual.

It may be white, ivory, brown or black. It'll look something like this photo:
My gas detector was singing after I took my camper off shore power for a couple weeks even though started with a new and fully charged battery. My gas detector IS NOT near the stove but on the side of the refrigerator box about 5-6' away and is mounted floor level. I stopped it from complaining by pulling its fuse in the converter box. Then I ran a long extension cord down to the camper and plugged it in (15A) and the battery charged in a day or so and the alarm stopped. Curiously, i have the battery on a motorcycle float charger and it appears that the float charger couldn't keep up with the draw of the 12V things I could find or disconnect (there couldn't have been many).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:53 PM   #14
nied

I have a WF8955 in my 248RKS. With every start-up of shore power, the unit will emit a 1-2 second tone. Could you have power fluctuation or a defective 30 amp breaker triggering the event?
nied is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power