Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Numbers624

Two Small Tears in Roof

I found two small tears on my roof today triangle shape both about the size of quarters Whats the best method to repair eternal bond tape? dicor patch? dicor lap sealant?

2011 F250 Super Duty Lariat
2008 Montana Mountaineer 305 RLT
Numbers624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I'd use EternaBond after a thorough cleaning of the area around the tears. As an extra fix, you might want to apply some Dicor Self-Leveling Sealant over the EternaBond.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I second Festus 2's recommendation. The key to a leakproof repair is cleaning the repair area well. Then eternabond and follow with dicor self leveling sealer. Once that dries, the roof will fail before the patch

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
Numbers624

Wow what a quick response OK will do the tape thank you very much

2011 F250 Super Duty Lariat
2008 Montana Mountaineer 305 RLT
Numbers624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:50 AM   #5
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
I'd use EternaBond after a thorough cleaning of the area around the tears. As an extra fix, you might want to apply some Dicor Self-Leveling Sealant over the EternaBond.
I'll 3rd the recommendation.

Also, don't be skimpy with the tape. If the hole is the size of a quarter, cut yourself a square of the tape about 3"x3".

In addition to cleaning the roof well, wash your hands just before you apply the tape so that no skin oils, etc. make their way onto the adhesive.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
turbopilot51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers624 View Post
I found two small tears on my roof today triangle shape both about the size of quarters Whats the best method to repair eternal bond tape? dicor patch? dicor lap sealant?
I just found five holes on my Alpine yesterday and freaked out! I have no ideal where it happened or how. I talked to the service manager at my local dealer and he suggested having the roof replaced. I have started a claim with my insurance carrier and will wait for the claim adjuster to view the damage. In the mean time I have covered up the holes with metal foil tape and plan on using the rig this coming weekend. The torture never stops!
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
turbopilot51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers624 View Post
IF you have insurance on the trailer more than likely insurance will pay for the repair less your deductible. In most cases the "repair" is a roof membrane replacement. IMHO that's the best solution.

Mine is in the shop for this now. Somehow a branch put a row of tears in the roof. Took one day for an estimate, the insurance adjuster came out the next day to look at the roof and ok the repair. Longest time is shop time, wil be in the shop for about two weeks.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot51 View Post
I just found five holes on my Alpine yesterday and freaked out! I have no ideal where it happened or how. I talked to the service manager at my local dealer and he suggested having the roof replaced. I have started a claim with my insurance carrier and will wait for the claim adjuster to view the damage. In the mean time I have covered up the holes with metal foil tape and plan on using the rig this coming weekend. The torture never stops!
If the claims adjuster denies your replacement, I'd be very careful with metal foil tape on the roof. Much of the foil tape uses adhesive that contains petroleum solvent to keep the adhesive soft and pliable. You may wind up damaging the roof using that type of adhesive on it. Based on the size of your holes and the size of the foil patches you used, if the claim is denied and you need to repair the roof with patches, just be sure to remove all the foil tape and its adhesive, use eternabond and dicor to seal over that. I find that when cutting eternabond, if you round the corners you have less potential for a "right angle edge" to start curling up. Of course with the dicor on top, nothing's going to curl if it was applied to clean dry surfaces and sealed properly.

Just be cautious with the adhesive used on some foil tape.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
turbopilot51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If the claims adjuster denies your replacement, I'd be very careful with metal foil tape on the roof. Much of the foil tape uses adhesive that contains petroleum solvent to keep the adhesive soft and pliable. You may wind up damaging the roof using that type of adhesive on it. Based on the size of your holes and the size of the foil patches you used, if the claim is denied and you need to repair the roof with patches, just be sure to remove all the foil tape and its adhesive, use eternabond and dicor to seal over that. I find that when cutting eternabond, if you round the corners you have less potential for a "right angle edge" to start curling up. Of course with the dicor on top, nothing's going to curl if it was applied to clean dry surfaces and sealed properly.

Just be cautious with the adhesive used on some foil tape.
Thanks for the information. I will remove the foil tape after the adjuster looks at the damage. I will insist that the roof be replaced not just a patch job.
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #10
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot51 View Post
Thanks for the information. I will remove the foil tape after the adjuster looks at the damage. I will insist that the roof be replaced not just a patch job.
If your state requires "repairs to pre loss conditions" the insurance company will be required to replace the roof not repair it. A repair is NOT "pre loss condition" at least that is what my insurance agent and trailer repair shop stated. My insurance stated they would not approve a repair of a tear, only a full roof replacement.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #11
turbopilot51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmracer View Post
If your state requires "repairs to pre loss conditions" the insurance company will be required to replace the roof not repair it. A repair is NOT "pre loss condition" at least that is what my insurance agent and trailer repair shop stated. My insurance stated they would not approve a repair of a tear, only a full roof replacement.
The insurance adjuster came by today and gave the thumbs up for the roof to be replaced. Now to get it scheduled at the dealer to have it done. The estimate was a little over $4900. The saga continues.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #12
turbopilot51

I got the Alpine home last night from the dealer. Traffic of course was a nightmare! It looks like they did an excellent job in replacing the roof. I was assured that there was allot of supervision making sure the job was done right . The service manager said that the installation would be superior to the original due to the fact of not being on an assembly line. With the amount of rain we get here in the northwest time will tell how good a job was done. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Tags
roof, roof repair, tears