Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
teamr6

Slide Problem

I'm reposting this in this forum, its also in Technical - sorry.

Took the TT out for a short weekend trip and encountered a problem: the slide seemed to severely bind-up, then suddenly give and begin sliding again. I checked the tension on the cables outside and in as my wife pressed the slide button and they did not seem excessively taunt on the outside but the inside cables were very taunt – though, I would somewhat expect that. It seemed to help when I intermittently went back and forth between out and in – kind of like two-steps-forward, one-step-back. This occurred sliding out and in. Inspecting the cables, I found that one of the outside top cables was frayed. I’m taking it to the shop this week, its only our 3rd trip and we bought new.
Does anyone have suggestions as to the problem? Does this happen often (on such a new rig)?

The battery was fully charged and it did not appear to be a power problem.

Thank you for the help!

Moderator's Note: I have removed it from the Technical section.
teamr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Ron

We also have a frayed cable on the bedroom slide that is going to be replace with numerous other warranty work. Sounds like possible the cables are to tight either way, in or out. When going out, the outside cables should be some what loose, going in they are tight. Goggle (accuslide) and it will explain the tensioning on the cables. Also if it is out of align with the holes in the frame work and rubbing, that will cause a frayed cable, here is a pic of ours............ Happy Campin...........Ron

Attachment 2007
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
teamr6

Thanks Ron. Now that you mention it, I do recall that it seemed as though I was hearing more of a rubbing/friction sound. I will look into the standard cable tension. I wish I had a pic of the cable, its similar to yours though I've got a little more fraying spanning half the length of the cable.
I hope to be camping happily soon!!
Thanks again!
teamr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
rlbaden

Bedroom Cable

I found a bad caster under the bed. While checking for clearence to add a caster wheel, we discovered a frayed cable behind the cornice. I don't have a picture but think of trying to make a ball of wire around the twisted cable.

I'm hoping Keystone stood behind you cable problem. How long did it take to resolve the issue?
rlbaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
Ron

Our frayed cable was due to Frame Flex, our large bedroom slide had to be removed, siding on each side of trailer re glued and screwed to frame. What was happening is the slide frame was rubbing on the cable and Keystone did a so called field repair, we are still having a Flexing problem and we are not sure what Keystone is going to do about it.....
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
bku

frayed and broken cables

we are having the same cable issues on our 2013 Montana that we purchased new. bottom front cables both slides have been replaced multiple times. In the shop again getting new cables. we've only taken 2 trips from Oklahoma to California and back.
bku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:25 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

The Accuslide system is a good system and is very reliable when it is installed and aligned properly. Unfortunately, alignment seems to be a significant issue causing frayed/broken cables. One thing to keep in mind is that alignment doesn't always mean "positioning the slide within the RV opening". Alignment can also mean the attachment /location of the cable position guides and terminal fittings on the slide box. If a factory worker "missed the mark" by half an inch when attaching the guides on the side of the RV opening or "misinstalled" the terminal fittings on the sides of the slide no amount of "adjusting the slide up or down within the RV opening will get the abrasion on the cables resolved. If your dealer has repaired your cables more than a couple of times and realigned your slide in the opening and you're still breaking cables regularly, you might want to push the issue and get them to actually measure where the fittings are installed on the slide/RV. If they are not installed properly, no alignment will fix your problem, the parts will need to be removed and reinstalled in the proper location.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote