Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
MiniBullyMom

Kitchen outlet not working -even after replacing.

Okay...I'm stumped and hopefully y'all can help. We have a 2006 Springdale 269 RLLS. This past winter we noticed that the outlet between the sink and range quit working. I noticed that there is some very faint brown marks around one side of the plug but don't remember any specific instance of the outlet having something plugged in that could have caused that.

I tested the GFCI (which is located in the hallway) multiple times and it works, the exterior GFCI outlet works but this interior outlet doesn't. Replaced the outlet with a new one but it doesn't work either.

Is there a wiring schematic anywhere that could help me figure out where the wires run in this model of trailer?
MiniBullyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
MiniBullyMom

Exclamation

Okay....did some more researching at home with the affected outlet. The wires going "out" are wired to the exterior plug which seems to be the end of the circuit.

There are only three outlets on this GFCI circuit:
Outlet#1 is the GFCI Load center in the hallway on the "drivers side" of the trailer.

Outlet#2 is the interior kitchen outlet on the "passenger side" of the trailer.

Outlet#3 is the exterior outlet which is cold if unhooked from outlet #2 and all other outlets in the trailer work.

When I test outlet #1 the little (right) side of the outlet where the plug goes in tests hot and the big (left) side of it is "cold".

I've pulled the guts of outlet #2 enough to rewire it with a new outlet -lo and behold both the black AND white wires are testing as "hot".

If I bypass outlet #2 and splice its wires directly into the wires for outlet #3 the white AND black wires going to outlet #3 become "hot".

So I'm guessing that somewhere between outlet #1 and #2 there is a short that has fused the white and black wire together or something may have been screwed smack dab between the two wires somewhere between outlet #1 and #2,or somehow the black/white wire have touched together.

I'm wondering if when the dealership did some work to the refrigerator or when we installed a new shower bar the line was "nicked" by a screw. But I don't know if the wiring from outlet #1 goes up and over through the ceiling or if it goes down and under the flooring. If anyone out there has the answer I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
rhagfo

Quote:
So I'm guessing that somewhere between outlet #1 and #2 there is a short that has fused the white and black wire together or something may have been screwed smack dab between the two wires somewhere between outlet #1 and #2,or somehow the black/white wire have touched together.
If this was the case you would (should) not be able to reset the GFIC, it would trip as soon as you pushed in the reset button.

Did the outside outlet work before?

You might look at the 1st outlet wiring.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
MiniBullyMom

Normally we hook our George Foreman or the globe lights up via the exterior outlets but we didn't use either one these last two times. So I can't say without a shadow of a doubt that the exterior outlet was working.
We noticed #2 wasn't working the last trip we took (July) and then I remembered when we moved the trailer around this past week so my brother could sleep in it while he was visiting this last week.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

You asked about wiring schematics .......... A lot of people have inquired about electrical and plumbing schematics for their Keystone RV's. Unfortunately, Keystone does not make them available for any of their units but if you should happen to stumble on one, please let us know. You'll be the first to have one!
Old 05-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
oldfamer

What do ou mean by hot and cold? How are you testing them? Are you measuring them with a volt meter or you using a hot stick? You can get a reading on both legs to ground if something is plugged into an outlet on the same circuit. You can also get a reading with a hot stick behind a GFCI. By a hot stick I mean one of those pocket emf testers. Good luck on finding your problem.
oldfamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
MiniBullyMom

Well, we did more testing and apparently both the white and black wire leading into outlet #2 are "live"...I inadvertently touched the white one after hitting the reset instead of the test button.
Didn't have a chance to get out there today and we ran out of light last night. My next step is to take apart outlet #1 and take a look at the outgoing wiring. Although it might be a day or two before I can do it because I'm babysitting my friends severely disabled and medically fragile son for the next three days. I will keep everyone updated as to my progress.