Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 06:15 AM   #21
har29

Talking

We just ordered our 2012 AlpineRE, should be at the dealer in a couple of days. The posted duct pictures are very good on this site. The one showing a cable crushing the duct is very interesting, it also looks like the duct has been bent at an angle more than 90deg. which in itself can cause air flow loss. Also, the duct that attaches to the floor registers should have been sealed so as devert heat/cooling to the interior not the basement. I hope this is not Keystones way of heating the basement. I will be spending a large amount of time inspecting our new unit before leaving the dealership. I am also a licensed home inspector. We should always insist on a through pre-delivery inspection of any RV new or used. We get our cars inspected and our homes inspected, the RV is a car/home combination. I will be using an infrared camera to aid in my inspection to check for heat/ cooling losses. I have already informed my dealer that they may refer to me as the Alpine buyer from hell. Inspect, Inspect, Inspect....
Old 02-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #22
travelbugger

Har 29 - Some of these places are not easy to see when signing off on delivery. Do you plan on opening up the underbelly and stuff to look? Just curious...
I believe the way they heat the basement is by running 3" ? ducts to the areas letting the heat blow on them when the furnace is running. My storage area also has a small vent to heat it there and I noticed a duct running down to the black/grey tanks. But that is behind the retaining wall in the storage area.
Getting a new camper is exciting, congratulations!
Old 02-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #23
travelbugger

BTW- here is a pic of the rear living room underbelly. This little slip of insulation was all that was in there. I wonderd why the floor was feeling cold! I put some R-19 fiberglass insulation in there. Probably a little too thick, but I got it cheap as the roll was damaged at Lowes. It has helped dramatically, but I think it should have been in there in the first place, especially since they claim the floors are R-40! These Alpines are really nice otherwise, they have nice features. I just wish they would have insulated better. Under the closet floor seems to not be well insulated either.

You guys have me wondering if those hangers that are holding that duct up in the pic is actually what is restricting the air flow. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	underbelly-center_resized.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	968  
Old 02-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #24
hsmunoz

the problem with the 3500 re is the design of the heat distribution.
the heater itself is right behind the basement panel by the vaccum unit. The heater pumps into one main cavity that has knockouts for ducting runs. The ducting run to the bath and bedroom are straight shots, while the ducts to the living rooms are 30+ft long, and I think the the bath/bedroom/basement/kitchen vents get the lions share of the heat.

so if you want more heat in the living room you need to restrict the others, I am going to see if i can find the vents with the sliding closure on them so I can decide where the heat should go.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:21 AM   #25
har29

Wink

Travelbugger,
Realizing that I will have a 1 year warranty from Keystone, I would be careful not to remove any covers myself without their permission so as not to void any warranty. I use an Infrared camera which can see a difference in temperature of down to a tenth of a degree. I will check inside and from underneath the unit for unusual temperature variations. It is simular to checking typical home attic insulation from living areas underneath. It will show areas of missing insulation. If large amounts of insulation appear to be missing there will be a follow-call to Keystone as to the way they they want to approch this problem before I complete the purchase. As far as heat/cooling distribution is concerned it is difficult to evenly distribute even amounts especially using a heat pump, as the same duct is used for both functions. The new Alpine is supposed to be multi zoned, which is difficult to accomplish without separate t-stats, one for living room and one in hall by bedroom. And to help the heat in the living room the fan should be used to blow heat down from the ceiling, since heat rises. Slightly closing off the bath and bedroom vents should help the living room area. The pictures of the basement duct shows what appears to be a string or wire supporting a portion of the duct, a wider cloth-like strap is normally used so as not to risk cutting the outer duct insulation material that the duct itself is wrapped in. It is worse when a flex duct is bent beyond a 90 deg.
The bottom line is it is an RV and not built to the standards as most of our homes. You just have to keep your eyes and ears open. Looking forward to checking mine out and taking it to Sandbridge resort america in Virginia this year.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #26
travelbugger

Har29,
Has your camper arrived yet?
My neighbor and I just used an infrared sensor made by Flir in and outside of our campers. It is 19 degrees here right now so a perfect time to see heat loss! =)
Well keep me posted on what you are able to find. Especially as a professional inspector I am sure you will know what to look for and sounds like you have cool devices to do so with.
The ducting under my livingroom is held up by some kind of metal that is welded to the frame. I would say it is approx. 1/4" in diam. I was wishing I had put something there to support thsoe ducts when I had it open. But you know what they say..hindsight is 20/20!
I am sure you will be happy with your new camper- I can't wait to hear what you find!
And Sandbridge looks like a great spot!
Old 02-12-2012, 06:32 AM   #27
Jim_VaBeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by har29 View Post
Travelbugger,
Realizing that I will have a 1 year warranty from Keystone, I would be careful not to remove any covers myself without their permission so as not to void any warranty. I use an Infrared camera which can see a difference in temperature of down to a tenth of a degree. I will check inside and from underneath the unit for unusual temperature variations. It is simular to checking typical home attic insulation from living areas underneath. It will show areas of missing insulation. If large amounts of insulation appear to be missing there will be a follow-call to Keystone as to the way they they want to approch this problem before I complete the purchase. As far as heat/cooling distribution is concerned it is difficult to evenly distribute even amounts especially using a heat pump, as the same duct is used for both functions. The new Alpine is supposed to be multi zoned, which is difficult to accomplish without separate t-stats, one for living room and one in hall by bedroom. And to help the heat in the living room the fan should be used to blow heat down from the ceiling, since heat rises. Slightly closing off the bath and bedroom vents should help the living room area. The pictures of the basement duct shows what appears to be a string or wire supporting a portion of the duct, a wider cloth-like strap is normally used so as not to risk cutting the outer duct insulation material that the duct itself is wrapped in. It is worse when a flex duct is bent beyond a 90 deg.
The bottom line is it is an RV and not built to the standards as most of our homes. You just have to keep your eyes and ears open. Looking forward to checking mine out and taking it to Sandbridge resort america in Virginia this year.
Good sound advice in not tampering with the warranty. BTW, we camp at Sandbridge www.indian-cove.com
Old 02-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #28
har29

Thumbs up

Jim VAbeach,
I forgot there are other fantistic RV camps in Sandbridge area, we stayed at the resort along the ocean at the south end of Sandbridge, the one right next to the Baja restaurant. Loved it.
The Infrared camera useage is great, one has to be able to interpret the results correctly. Infrared does not work on glass surfaces. Will post anything I find that may be unusal. My unit is not in yet, any day now.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #29
Festus2
Site Team

Thread closure

It would appear that this thread has wandered off the OP's in which he briefly made a general comment about his first trip out and about a problem he had with the water pump and thermostat. Since then a wide variety of topics have been talked about and we are now on infared measurements and heat loss.
I would suggest that when har29 picks up and examines his rig with the infared device, he can start a new thread and report his findings to us.
Thanks to all who took part in this discussion. This thread will now be closed. If you want to comment further on any of the topics discussed in this thread, please start a new one. Thanks.
Closed Thread