Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2021, 08:42 AM   #1
Gams

Furnace/Fireplace question

Hi Everyone! Newbies here!! Had a question about our 2021 Keystone Cougar 29BH. Ok, on the Command panel it has a spot to turn the air conditioner on/off, but NOTHING about the heater????? Is the only heat source coming from the fireplace?? And if so, can you use that all night and is there a way to turn off those lights??? I know this seems like a silly quesiton, but I guess we just never thought a trailer this expensive didn't have a heater???? Oh my-are we novices!! Thanks in advance!!
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:03 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Im not that familiar with in command, but in the HVAC screen you should be able to choose "MODE" to use jus the fan in the AC unit, AC and furnace. It might even have Heat Pump option.

The fireplace can be run all night, and depending on model the lights may or may not turn off.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:16 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I do not have in command and did not want a trailer with it when I bought a new one. Some folks really like it though. Here is a link to the operation. At about the 1:05 mark they talk about in command and the AC/furnace operation. The furnace is at about 2:30. Appears you use the arrows to scroll to each function of the AC/furnace operation.

As far as the furnace in the trailer, our previous one let us turn off the little flame and just run the heater which was nice. The Furrions aren't nearly as nice or sophisticated and do not allow that.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:54 AM   #4
Gary R.

Hello Gams, and welcome to the forum! Congrats on the new Cougar, too.

Once you get everything figured out, you can start having some fun with it.

Take care!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:52 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
Hi Everyone! Newbies here!! Had a question about our 2021 Keystone Cougar 29BH. Ok, on the Command panel it has a spot to turn the air conditioner on/off, but NOTHING about the heater????? Is the only heat source coming from the fireplace?? And if so, can you use that all night and is there a way to turn off those lights??? I know this seems like a silly quesiton, but I guess we just never thought a trailer this expensive didn't have a heater???? Oh my-are we novices!! Thanks in advance!!
You may have to update your trailer floor plan in the iN·command system.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:46 PM   #6
Camping family

Quote:
I have in command but have two ac. But only one unit has heat. If all you have is one unit then I would think it would have the heat you cycle through it. Will show AC, FAN ONLY, AUTO, HEAT.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:06 PM   #7
cavie

Quote:
The command center controls the A/C and the Gas furnace. Not the fireplace. The fireplace is not the only heat source. It is more for show.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:52 PM   #8
mikec557

We frequently use the electric fireplace all night long to keep the RV warm. On both of our last two RVs you could NOT turn the flames off, but they had 5 settings of bright/dimness. We dialed down to the lowest setting. It made a great nightlight.

We have the One Command. While I love technology, I would have preferred mechanical/ordinary switches. But that's life, Tech marches on. Our gas furnace is controlled exactly as seen in the YouTube posted above. Inside the RV, Are there louvers under your refrigerator? Have you figured out if you have a propane powered furnace?
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:12 AM   #9
dav6662

Quote:

I am having the same issue and have found nothing that helps. I do assume it relates to the floor plan not being correct in the In-Command system but I have reset it and reloaded and nothing new. The only thing I can think of is that the software or Firmware on In-Command needs to be updated, which I would have thought would have been done at install or at the least by the dealership. I am concerned I will mess stuff up if I update it......but that is likely my next step. Right now I should be able to see heat pump, gas furnace and AC...Only see AC!

Let me know if you have found anything else....Thanks
dav6662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:49 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav6662 View Post
I am having the same issue and have found nothing that helps. I do assume it relates to the floor plan not being correct in the In-Command system but I have reset it and reloaded and nothing new. The only thing I can think of is that the software or Firmware on In-Command needs to be updated, which I would have thought would have been done at install or at the least by the dealership. I am concerned I will mess stuff up if I update it......but that is likely my next step. Right now I should be able to see heat pump, gas furnace and AC...Only see AC!

Let me know if you have found anything else....Thanks
Was it that way at the PDI or was it working then but not now?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:58 AM   #11
dav6662

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Was it that way at the PDI or was it working then but not now?
That is a good question.....I have come to realize that I simply did not know enough to know whether I was getting a good walk through or not.....I now know I did not.....
Old 04-14-2021, 06:05 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav6662 View Post
That is a good question.....I have come to realize that I simply did not know enough to know whether I was getting a good walk through or not.....I now know I did not.....
Not uncommon among first time buyers. So this is the first time trying to use it?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:40 AM   #13
dav6662

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Not uncommon among first time buyers. So this is the first time trying to use it?
Yes that is correct
Old 04-14-2021, 06:56 AM   #14
Camping family

Don’t know about your unit but mine this is how it works. Located in the iN·command system you will see the section for ac. When you clink on it you will be able to cycle through from on, off, ac, fan only, auto and heat. If you have two units only one will operate the heat that’s on mine.

As for updating the system. You can do it from the internet if you have a good internet connection. Or you can do like I did contact iN·command and they will send you a flash drive with the updates on it. Then all you do is plug the flash drive into the system and follow the instructions. Took me about 10 minutes to complete the two updates.
Hope this helps. IN·command was very good on answering all my questions. They will walk you through everything.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:00 AM   #15
Camping family

Sorry forgot as for your fireplace you should have a separate remote that is used to operate it. Mine does have a button that will allow you to set the color of the lights and turn the lights off and on.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:07 AM   #16
dav6662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
Don’t know about your unit but mine this is how it works. Located in the iN·command system you will see the section for ac. When you clink on it you will be able to cycle through from on, off, ac, fan only, auto and heat. If you have two units only one will operate the heat that’s on mine.

As for updating the system. You can do it from the internet if you have a good internet connection. Or you can do like I did contact iN·command and they will send you a flash drive with the updates on it. Then all you do is plug the flash drive into the system and follow the instructions. Took me about 10 minutes to complete the two updates.
Hope this helps. IN·command was very good on answering all my questions. They will walk you through everything.
Agree that is how it should work but does not on my new Alpine. The only mode choices I have is cool, fan and off.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:49 AM   #17
cavie

Quote:
The heat source is the furnace. Not the fireplace. Or so I have read.
Old 04-14-2021, 01:06 PM   #18
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
The heat source is the furnace. Not the fireplace. Or so I have read.
You read wrong.
There should be a small remote for the fireplace that controls fan speed (hi/low), how long it runs and flame size.
Dealers typically lose the remotes or folks that have lost theirs steal them.
The face or front of the fireplace will lift off and there should be a couple sheet metal screws to slide the fireplace out. Write down or take a pic of the manufacturer, model, and serial number tag. Nothing to it.
I bought my remotes from Heartland so try Keystone. If not, Amazon or eTrailer.
The fireplace is very good at adding a bit of warmth on cool mornings.
I would rather use campground electricity than my propane for the furnace.
You do have a furnace.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:12 AM   #19
bobbrazie

You only have one AC unit?
We had the same problem but found that the first screen was really for the rear AC only which we don't have.
Keep clicking on the arrow and you will land on the #2 heater/AC control.
Don't know why the #2 (rear) come up first, but it does.
bobbrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:20 AM   #20
edepp

Quote:
We have a 2021 Premier RIPR and our furnace is controlled by a thermostat, separate from a control panel. Our thermostat is just outside the bathroom in the 'hallway' by the front door. Hope that helps.
edepp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace