Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2021, 08:18 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

On a "similar note", Ford does the same thing. About 3 years ago, I had one battery in my F250 fail. I've always been told that dual batteries, in any system, need to be replaced as a pair or the older battery will "draw down the new battery". When one of my batteries in the truck failed, Ford would only replace the "defective unit"... I wound up with one new, one 3 year old battery. This year, after the truck warranty has expired, I had the "honor and privilege" of replacing both batteries when the old one failed and the new one still "seemed OK".....

It's not just Keystone replacing the failed/defective component rather than the entire assembly and all "related parts".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:50 AM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
On a "similar note", Ford does the same thing. About 3 years ago, I had one battery in my F250 fail. I've always been told that dual batteries, in any system, need to be replaced as a pair or the older battery will "draw down the new battery". When one of my batteries in the truck failed, Ford would only replace the "defective unit"... I wound up with one new, one 3 year old battery. This year, after the truck warranty has expired, I had the "honor and privilege" of replacing both batteries when the old one failed and the new one still "seemed OK".....

It's not just Keystone replacing the failed/defective component rather than the entire assembly and all "related parts".....
I can't image wherever you bought the new batteries from doing anything different than Ford did. The replacement warranty is for a defective battery, not a defective battery and matching battery. That said, I see that as a different issue than the antenna. The antenna replacement fully restores the function of the antenna system. To my thinking it would be like getting a tire recall anmd expecting new rims to be installed with the replacement tires.

Frustrating, yes but the antenna still performs does it not?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:05 PM   #23
kckettridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I would ask the dealer to provide the anrenna and that you will install it. Then sell it to offset the sost of the one you want. I don't see it as "Micky Mouse". The only thing missing is the ota antenna and that's what they are replacing. Expecting an upgrade IMO is not reasonable.
IMHO, it is "Micky Mouse" to replace part of a component when it is comprised of a single unit, and if you think cutting or modifying the bottom of the Winegard antenna to fit the Furrion base over it is the "professional" way of doing a repair/replacement, then that is your opinion and we agree to disagree. As far as asking the dealer for the antenna; No Thanks! I'm done with FLRV's service department for this and other faux pas they have done to our rig then not taking responsibility or doing the right thing and correcting them.
kckettridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:11 PM   #24
kckettridge

John, I tend to agree with you as if the engineers (in your case Ford engineers) should have thought about a situation like this where one battery is "defective" or goes bad before the other then why not install a battery management system much like Toyota and other manufactures do for their hybrid vehicles. The electric city busses that have all those batteries on their roofs also have this type of system. A battery management system would eliminate the premature failure of either batter should one draw down or fail sooner. The technology is there, they just aren't using it.
Old 04-03-2021, 12:27 PM   #25
kckettridge

Hi Bob,
Keystone and my dealer didn't even give me the option of paying for the upgrade or I would have gladly done it. Ironically, the price difference between the 360 and the 360+ is less than $10 so why wouldn't Keystone just make a deal with Winegard for "X" number of 360+ antennas and call it good. Cutting the bottom of the Winegard base to fit the Furrion antenna over it to house two different types/brands of antennas in one dome in my opinion is asinine, to begin with.
Old 04-03-2021, 02:19 PM   #26
mikec557

Things/terms to be aware of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
What does everyone do for internet n tv while camping. Haven’t had a problem till this weekend. Problems with cable n internet at camp ground. Tried running off hot spot of phone first day worked. Second day a no go. Thinking of Getty no the Furrion router in the camper. Any ideals
We take having the internet, and streaming tv, for granted. For us it's hard to camp without some, or a lot, of connectivity. And it's different for different families. I'd like to throw out some ideas and concepts for people who are researching what they can do, what they can live without, and what they can't live without.

Data plan size on your cellphone service does not automatically mean you can stream that amount of data when using your phone as a Hotspot for your laptop, or your roku connected to the TV. All the phone providers are different but they usually say how much of your data can be used by turning on your cellphone Hotspot. We have Straight talk, which is Walmart. We have Unlimited data, but the fine print says that after using 60Gb, they have the right to slow you to 2G. But of the 60 Gb, I can only use 10Gb to Hotspot my laptop or roku. After 10Gb I have to buy more data, even though I pay for an unlimited data plan. Read the fine print of any service you consider. They get to say HOW you use the data.

Hotspotting is different than using a cable from your phone to the TV, if the tv is just a mirror screen of your phone. This would not use any of my 10Gb limit. But my Motorola phone doesn't output video through the usb-c port. Other phones do do this.

Some phones don't allow you to Hotspot. The feature is grayed out in the settings. But there is a software app that will let you plug the phone into your laptop with the charging cable and then the laptop can access the internet, up to your data limit. But this method will not let the roku have access to the internet. Because this is not a wireless hotspot. Then I found another app that will let you share internet access from your phone to your laptop wirelessly, but at least I'm not tethered by a cable. But again, not to the roku. The upside of both of these is that you are not Hotspotting. So no service restrictions and no hardware restrictions.

We plug a roku-3 into our TV, regardless of how smart the TV is. The upper end Rokus have a USB port and software in the roku to watch movies or TV shows from a thumb drive or hard drive plugged into the USB port. We've recorded favorite movie and TV shows/series in advance of our trip and always have that to fall back on. We used to bring a blu-ray player and 10lbs of discs on the road. Now we have a 5 terabyte hard drive about the size of a pack of cigarettes on steroids. It's so much easier.

There is also legal to use software that will record shows/movies, but only from places you have a legal right to view. For instance Netflix. If you have an account, Netflix will allow you to use the software to record now and watch later the same way you use your DVR at home. It's a cloud based DVR. Software is free and you pay 10-40 cents to record an event. I usually buy enough recording credits at a time that I pay 10-12 cents per credit.

And there's still other ways like using your home satellite TV service on the road. And dedicated wifi hotspot devices sold by the cell phone companies.

It comes down to how much money do you want to spend, how tech savvy are you, what can you live with, and what will you do for internet or TV when there's no cell phone reception? We've traveled all over the country, and yes, there are many places that do not have cell phone reception. Oh yeah, we also load up our Kindles before we hit the road.

Have a Plan-A, and a Plan-B. If those don't work, then pull up stakes and camp somewhere else. LOL.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 03:00 AM   #27
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter20 View Post
They have a mifi hotspot device by inseego for $339 that is portable. i found out about the $50 data plan in the store. I purchased it and set it up in the store. I will update later when I have had a chance to use it some.
I use a mifi when we are camping and I need to be "in the office" during our trip. Have used it 3 or 4 times. Works well for webex / teams / zoom meetings, as well as connecting to VPN. I only prepay the $50 when I know we'll need it. As long as there is cell reception, I can get internet. If not using it for full 30 days, I let the kids use it for their Amazon Fire tablets to download books or stuff for school while on the road. I have no complaints with our purchase. Bought it reconditioned on Amazon a year ago. Weve used it for our Roku and Firestick while camping as well.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 03:48 AM   #28
wborisenok

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDave View Post
I now use Skyroam from Solis. Great internet speed to cleary stream youtube or prime video shows. $40.00 a month for unlimited or $10.00 a day if you just need a day. Works Globally!! Worth a look at...
This is what I’m looking into as well. I like that it’s pay-as-you-go. Glad to hear it’s sufficient for streaming! That’s mostly what we’d use it for at night; daytime would just be web browsing and emails.
wborisenok is offline   Reply With Quote