Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2021, 10:51 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
Here's the one I got. It was recommended by others on this forum. I really like it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7JZTYX
That's the same one I have. It's only 5 years old, so hard to tell if it's going to "last a lifetime" or not. At $39, that works out to around $8 a year. If it keeps working like it has, it's been a great investment. If it breaks tomorrow, it's saved me from plumbing repairs for 5 years, so I'd probably buy another one the day this one breaks and consider it a "good buy"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:18 PM   #22
h8ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
Here's the one I got. It was recommended by others on this forum. I really like it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7JZTYX
Thanks Mark! I appreciate your recommendation! I believe you helped me out on a different forum a few years ago! You help me with some Nav on my Gl1800!
h8ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 03:14 AM   #23
MarkEHansen

Yepper, same person!
Old 03-15-2021, 05:43 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
All this is fine & dandy and true IF you have a GRAVITY FEED water tank fill system. However, many (most?) modern trailers have a combined internal city water/tank fill connection. The only reasonable way to get water into the tank is through this connection which means you are subjecting a lot of your internal piping to the potentially high unregulated pressure of the city system. You should ALWAYS use a true water pressure regulator in front of this connection.

We are like you and rarely use the city water for an overnight camping stay - we just use our pump and tank. The primary reason for that, however, is becaue the DW wants filtered water only and I'm too lazy to set up the regulator, hoses, filters, etc. for a single overnight stay. When it's time to fill the tank, the regulator is the first thing to get hooked up!

Hope that clarification makes sense.
I would just add this ... I won't fill my fresh water tank without running it thru a filter first. So for me, a regulator is necessary for onboard water iregards of where it originates. I keep about a 1/3 tank of fresh water in the tank for flushing toilet, washing hands, water for the dog, etc. while on the road but I don't tote water for use everywhere I go. My tank is in front and the weight adds to the tongue weight. To each his or her own.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:21 AM   #25
Javi

This is the one I always recommend, https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/w...tainless-gauge

I've had mine for at least 10 years and it is used on every camping trip. I also have one like a couple of you show that I use for my black tank flush line, it stays on the hose as does the anti-backflow fitting..
Old 03-15-2021, 08:32 AM   #26
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
That's the same one I have. It's only 5 years old, so hard to tell if it's going to "last a lifetime" or not. At $39, that works out to around $8 a year. If it keeps working like it has, it's been a great investment. If it breaks tomorrow, it's saved me from plumbing repairs for 5 years, so I'd probably buy another one the day this one breaks and consider it a "good buy"....
Ordered mine (same one as in link) at 8:10am this morning on Amazon....at 11:37 am it arrived at my door... can’t beat that for service
Old 03-15-2021, 09:48 AM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Ordered mine (same one as in link) at 8:10am this morning on Amazon....at 11:37 am it arrived at my door... can’t beat that for service

Holy regulator Batman!! 3 1/2 hrs. for an Amazon delivery!!?? Wow, I really must stay in the badlands. 3-4 days is fast even with Prime.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:57 AM   #28
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Holy regulator Batman!! 3 1/2 hrs. for an Amazon delivery!!?? Wow, I really must stay in the badlands. 3-4 days is fast even with Prime.
Yep.. I was surprised.. most of the stuff that says same day delivery has been taking a day or two since COVID ..
This regulator is a stout well built piece of equipment... I had the $5 restriction type before. I seem to be buying everything twice lately
Old 03-15-2021, 10:00 AM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Yep.. I was surprised.. most of the stuff that says same day delivery has been taking a day or two since COVID ..
This regulator is a stout well built piece of equipment... I had the $5 restriction type before. I seem to be buying everything twice lately

^^^I've been doing it for years. I've got shelving units in my shop and 2 barns that are dedicated to "duplicates" and "upgraded duplicates".
Old 03-15-2021, 10:44 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Our Amazon Prime 2 day delivery takes 4 or 5 days....

I think you'll find that regulator to give you significantly greater volume with lower pressure than the restrictor type "pressure reducers".... Because of the plastic PEX fittings used in RV's, I'd recommend an initial pressure setting of 45 PSI to 50 PSI. My guess is that will "match" your onboard water pump pressure and not stress those "fragile plastic fittings"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-15-2021, 12:00 PM   #31
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Our Amazon Prime 2 day delivery takes 4 or 5 days....

I think you'll find that regulator to give you significantly greater volume with lower pressure than the restrictor type "pressure reducers".... Because of the plastic PEX fittings used in RV's, I'd recommend an initial pressure setting of 45 PSI to 50 PSI. My guess is that will "match" your onboard water pump pressure and not stress those "fragile plastic fittings"....
Ok sounds good.. thanks!
Old 03-15-2021, 12:02 PM   #32
captcolour

Had a Camco one where the pressure guage became stuck the end of last season so had to replace it. Lasted 4 years. Bought the Renator one this time.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 06:14 AM   #33
MattE303

Don't trust the "factory setting"!

Sorry for commenting on a 2 year old thread, but I just came across this one while researching regulators. I ended up buying the RVGUARD unit from Amazon for about $25. Seems like good quality and works fine once I got it set up, but definitely don't trust the "factory preset to 45psi" mine definitely wasn't. Our house pressure is 55psi, confirmed with a dedicated pressure gauge. When I hooked the RVGUARD regulator up, it was reading about 30 and the output was noticeably weak. It took several turns of the adjustment screw to get it to max out at 55, then backed it down to 45, much better output!

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 04:34 PM   #34
oldnjrver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldon View Post
the one travelin texans said was a "regulator" and not a "restrictor."
Thats the regulator that I use. Have it set at 40 psi. Its particularly important in locations that have large height differences. Each foot in elevation is worth about .5 psi. So if you are at the bottom of a 20 ft hill your water pressure could be 10 lbs higher than 40 lbs. Then if you add water hammer to that you could be in for quite a shock. A good pressure regulator is every bit as valuable as your EMS to protect your equipment. Bought mine on amazon and it was a bargain at the quoted price.

Safe travels and all the best...
oldnjrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 08:18 AM   #35
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Yes it's a good idea to have one of those along with extra water/electrical hoses...most campgrounds we've been to, the water pressure is weaker than at home...I bought one of those regulators but haven't used it unless I feel the water is coming out a lot stronger than usual...I found it makes the pressure weaker when not needed.
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 08:43 AM   #36
sourdough
Site Team

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...iABEgKuZvD_BwE

https://ussolid.com/u-s-solid-water-...SABEgLc8PD_BwE

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-3-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

The top link is to a water pressure "regulator" that some folks use. It is actually a water pressure "reducer" reducing the pressure any time it's used on the water supply.

The second link is to an adjustable regulator that adjusts the maximum pressure allowed through it but does not reduce the pressure if it falls below the psi it is set for.

The third link is to a water pressure gauge. I carry one and slap it on any water supply that have not used or suspect to be more pressure than I want. Typically I use it out of curiosity since I always put the regulator directly on the water supply first thing.
Old 09-07-2023, 10:05 AM   #37
JRTJH
Site Team

A point to remember about water pressure is that the pressure is typically reduced during periods of "high water use" and then the "static water pressure" rises as the use declines...

As an example, Marquette Tourist Park has signs "everywhere" warning of high water pressure in parts of the campground. There is an industrial complex located "behind the back fence" that uses a tremendous amount of water during the day. At night, when that complex is closed and little/no water is being used, the pressure in the campground rises SIGNIFICANTLY...

During the day, you will usually see 70-90 PSI in that leg of the campground. At that pressure, most "wise or experienced campers" will use a regulator without question... Some don't and get by "OK" during the day. At night, when the industrial complex closes, water pressure starts rising and I've seen "suppertime pressures around 100-110 PSI. Then, later at night, when the entire campground is asleep, the houses around that area are also "asleep" you can see pressures in the 130-140 PSI range. That's almost 3 or 4 times the "recommended pressure on those cheap plastic PEX fittings !!!!!

I remember several mornings while drinking coffee, seeing a "misty rainbow" as the sun rose and started shining through the water spouts from the busted city water hoses around the campground. Then there are those few trailers that didn't fare so well with the high pressure and lost more than just the outside hose....

Even when the pressure at my campsite is well below the need for a regulator, I always install it anyway. You never know when, late at night while there's no water use, just how high the pressure will rise at the faucet you're connected to.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
water