Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

View Poll Results: Can I use any cellular router with the Air 360+?
Yes, it will work fine and have good performance with other routers. 1 20.00%
No, just go with the Winegard Gateway. 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2020, 04:48 PM   #1
therealpatricksnyder

Winegard Air 360+ Router Compatibility

I got a new Passport 199ML recently and it has the Air 360+ antenna prewired. I was wondering if anyone has any experience using it with other cellular modems aside from the Winegard Gateway. I am a pretty tech savvy guy and my assumption is that it should work with any device since its only an antenna however I want to be sure before investing in something like a Pepwave or Netgear MR1100. Also I did reach out to Winegard but they keep dodging the question of alternate compatibility, naturally because I assume they want to push their own device sales. My only hope is they don't have some proprietary technology at play that renders it useless when connected to other routers.

So to recap, has anyone used the 360+ with non Winegard router/modems? And if so how was its cellular performance?

Sometimes I fix stuff, sometimes I break stuff; Always learning.

2021 Keystone Passport SL 199ML
2014 Ford Explorer Limited
therealpatricksnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 06:28 PM   #2
NJCamper20

Interested in this as well. Peplink makes some good stuff. Not heard the best reviews on Winegard
NJCamper20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 07:41 PM   #3
Bill-2020

I installed a 360+ after reading about all the problems with Furrion wings ripping off the roofs of other Keystones (my TT wasn't under the recall for this problem). The inside of the 360+ that I bought and installed had two (LTE 4G) PCB antennas perched inside the dome. A coax from both antenna down out of the base. I only needed the OTA portion and I added a dipole FM antenna to the inside for the FM radio. I suspect that if the equipment you're wanting to use has the mating connectors to what Winegard installed (or cut these off, and crimp/solder on your required type) that the antenna up top would work. My 360+ unit is slightly different than what Keystone is installing now. Mine is a two-piece unit so that I can remove the dome and install a modem up there, or push the two coax connections down through the hole next to the OTA coax and install the modem on the ceiling of he camper.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:53 PM   #4
therealpatricksnyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
I installed a 360+ after reading about all the problems with Furrion wings ripping off the roofs of other Keystones (my TT wasn't under the recall for this problem). The inside of the 360+ that I bought and installed had two (LTE 4G) PCB antennas perched inside the dome. A coax from both antenna down out of the base. I only needed the OTA portion and I added a dipole FM antenna to the inside for the FM radio. I suspect that if the equipment you're wanting to use has the mating connectors to what Winegard installed (or cut these off, and crimp/solder on your required type) that the antenna up top would work. My 360+ unit is slightly different than what Keystone is installing now. Mine is a two-piece unit so that I can remove the dome and install a modem up there, or push the two coax connections down through the hole next to the OTA coax and install the modem on the ceiling of he camper.
Cool this actually somewhat confirms my suspicion that there is nothing weird or proprietary about the Winegard 360+ antennas on Keystones. You are right there are MCX male connectors where the two LTE and WiFi antenna terminate in the camper but those are easy to change out or adapt to SMAs or TS-9s. The ones installed on Keystones sound the same as the one you bought aftermarket. Mine is stated to have the broad spectrum FM/VHF/UHF antenna, plus the two 4G antennas and the single WiFi antenna; also has the mount for the Winegard gateway. The FM and TV signal wires route to the TV/SAT panel already and the others terminate in the ceiling behind a cap, also zip tied to a 12v cable I can tap into (which added bonus, keystone published their color coded and numbered wiring specs so I will be able to tell exactly where that 12v wire runs.)

Well I'm going to take my chances with either a Pepwave, Peplink, or the Netgear MR1100 and see how that goes. Thanks for the input for reference.

Sometimes I fix stuff, sometimes I break stuff; Always learning.

2021 Keystone Passport SL 199ML
2014 Ford Explorer Limited
therealpatricksnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:16 PM   #5
NJCamper20

Let me know how your install goes. I’m looking at doing same thing and curious how it works out
NJCamper20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:12 PM   #6
Laredo-Chris

I am in the middle of this as I type.

I am hooking up a alfa wifi with raspberry pi4. So far so good, except I ordered the wrong ends on the adapter between mcx and sma.

It is going to see how the signal changes once hooked to the external antenna.

I think the red coax is for the wifi... Correct me if I am mistaken.
-C
Laredo-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:37 PM   #7
ehidle

The most annoying thing about the 360+ is that it uses MCX connectors while many routers and hotspots use TS9 connectors. So, adapters are required for the antenna to work with many routers/hotspots.
ehidle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 11:16 AM   #8
jaredfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
The most annoying thing about the 360+ is that it uses MCX connectors while many routers and hotspots use TS9 connectors. So, adapters are required for the antenna to work with many routers/hotspots.
Has anyone found a reliable way to connect the MCX to TS9? I am struggling to find an adaptor online anywhere.

Appreciate the help in advance

J
jaredfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:01 PM   #9
TNT02

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealpatricksnyder View Post
Cool this actually somewhat confirms my suspicion that there is nothing weird or proprietary about the Winegard 360+ antennas on Keystones. You are right there are MCX male connectors where the two LTE and WiFi antenna terminate in the camper but those are easy to change out or adapt to SMAs or TS-9s. The ones installed on Keystones sound the same as the one you bought aftermarket. Mine is stated to have the broad spectrum FM/VHF/UHF antenna, plus the two 4G antennas and the single WiFi antenna; also has the mount for the Winegard gateway. The FM and TV signal wires route to the TV/SAT panel already and the others terminate in the ceiling behind a cap, also zip tied to a 12v cable I can tap into (which added bonus, keystone published their color coded and numbered wiring specs so I will be able to tell exactly where that 12v wire runs.)

Well I'm going to take my chances with either a Pepwave, Peplink, or the Netgear MR1100 and see how that goes. Thanks for the input for reference.
Hello there, curious how this worked out for you? Im planning to start full timing and considering this option since my model came with the winegard 360+ antenna. This antenna has a good gain (18 dB) compared to the antennas usually sold with pepwave routers (5-10 dB). Also would be nice to make use of the existing antenna rather than shell out for another (not to mention drill another hole in the roof). Found this video (https://youtu.be/UyRSr8DkRKA) while researching so it seems viable with a single SIM device. Moreso curious if you got it to work with a dual sim router and what were the results? Thanks in advance!
TNT02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 04:11 AM   #10
Brantel

Here is a video where the guy does......he gives links for the adaptors and other stuff.

https://youtu.be/UyRSr8DkRKA
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:22 PM   #11
CaribouHunter

Just going to revive this old thread... has anyone had success in adding a 3rd party router to the winegard 360+? I'm also interested in the netgear mr1100.
CaribouHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 12:33 PM   #12
Ihihfty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribouHunter View Post
Just going to revive this old thread... has anyone had success in adding a 3rd party router to the winegard 360+? I'm also interested in the netgear mr1100.
Did you figure anything out?
Ihihfty is offline   Reply With Quote