Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner > In Command Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2020, 09:36 AM   #21
boagey

I updated the firmware of my In-command, the wifi is connected to my home network, follow the update as directed.
boagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:34 AM   #22
azchoco

There are external sensors too that eliminate this issue of dirty intake sensors.
azchoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:39 AM   #23
azchoco

There are external sensors too that eliminate this issue of dirty intake sensors.
azchoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:28 PM   #24
LHaven

Folks at one of the companies I worked for used to say, "You can always tell the pioneers, they're the ones with the arrows sticking out of them." I am absolutely not a first adopter in most cases, especially on platforms where my experience has been bad, but when it comes to inCommand, I'm happy to upgrade when upgrades are available.

Of course, I keep copies of the older firmware versions around in case an upgrade goes bad. I'm no stranger to cold-booting a system to load it with older firmware.

When I got my rig, one of the annoyances I noticed was that if we stopped on the road for a potty break, I had to put in my password and navigate three pages in order to turn on the water pump -- not friendly when you really have to go. (Luckily, the bathroom light was entirely manual.) One of the earliest updates I applied to inCommand added icons for the lights and water pump on the password screen so that you could turn them on from the very first screen without using the password. I like those sorts of improvements.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:22 AM   #25
bigrockk

Smile Update complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCMan View Post
Hi all. Just wondering if I should update my In Command system or should I leave a working system as is. Have had mostly good luck updating other items with software/firmware but have also had a few that I regretted updating. Thanks to the experts ahead of time.
Our system (with global connect) was updated to the latest firmware a few days ago and all is well again.
To add some context we purchased a new Cougar 315 RLS last July, we had the dealership install a bedroom A/C. It seemed to work semi okay for a month or so but was a little quirky. Around late august things got worse. The front A/C became unusable, if you could get it to run it would do various weird stuff such as constantly cycle the compressor on and off, or just completely shut down for 10-15 min. and then come back to life. If I shut it off with either the app or the display commander it would just decide to turn itself back on, sometimes after two or three tries it would stay off, other times I would just have to shut off the breaker to the front A/C.

The rear A/C worked pretty good but would still hiccup ever now and then by running until it hit the set temp and then not resuming operation until it was cycled on and off.

It didn't happen often but at times the fantastic fan would turn itself on while the vent was closed. At times it took multiple tries to get it too respond from the display or the app.

Fast forward to a few days ago, the dealer replaced the gateway in the front A/C and updated the firmware.It seems to be working pretty good now, yahoo! Time will tell I guess.
bigrockk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:56 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

There's two schools of thought on updates. One is to leave "sleeping dogs lay" and not update or Secondly to update and get the latest and greatest.

I think a certain segment of the cell phone industry had some past rough times with updates. Several decades ago Windows updates could be problematic as well. I have had several brands of cell phones hut they were all android operating systems. Never had an issue with updating phones, no issues on Windows updates for many years now.

While I don't have the In Command system if I did I'd update the firmware. Companies distribute updates to fix issues. I think the software and hardware mfg have better success these days. I know I have so many devices that get updates from phones, televisions, blue ray players, tablets, laptops, pc, security camera, router, vpn/firewall, weather station, smart watches, door bell, even my darned bathroom scale gets a firmware update.

Maybe I'm lucky but I haven't had any issues yet. YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:57 AM   #27
KRumm

When I turn on the controller screen I get a dialogue box telling me new software is available... I got tired of seeing it and having to dismiss the screen so I went to try and update the software... That scene starts the update and fails saying not available (I have WiFi on and connected)...

How can I update ?
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:16 AM   #28
MarkEHansen

I haven't done it yet, but you should be able to download the update on a flash drive and attach it to the display commander and update that way. There should be instructions on the iN-Command site. See here: https://in-command.net/in-command-w-global-connect/

Scroll down to Resources.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:21 PM   #29
notanlines

As a relatively tech-savvy old fart, I have to ask this: What in the world would make a grown man want to turn on a fan or water pump with their Iphone? You're going to tell me that punching the phone through seven different steps is more convenient than simply touching a wall switch? Somehow I fear you may be in a fishing boat and your app won't set the hook for you...
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:30 PM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

Jim, I remember when my dad bought his first television with a remote. He said pretty much the same thing.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 03:39 PM   #31
ewbldavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
As a relatively tech-savvy old fart, I have to ask this: What in the world would make a grown man want to turn on a fan or water pump with their Iphone? You're going to tell me that punching the phone through seven different steps is more convenient than simply touching a wall switch? Somehow I fear you may be in a fishing boat and your app won't set the hook for you...
I agree and disagree with your statement. A few wall switches would be nice - especially since main lights are all the way at the rear of the living area. I sometimes wish I had a regular thermostat, but I have adjusted HVAC using my phone or checked temps and it is very nice.

When we left Sunday in the rain (seasonal camper), it was quite nice to roll awning up from truck before I backed up

Time will tell, but overall the system is good.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:52 PM   #32
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Ok, so I was going to leave it alone but I decided to do an update. Going to do it via wi-fi. Maybe it will pick it up as the tt is about 300 feet behind the house and if it doesn't I will try with a hot spot. Flashbacks of my Win95B update that took five hours on the phone to fix. Immature technology seems to act like crazy teenagers sometimes. Keeping fingers crossed and being optimistic. Will post results as soon as it is done.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:57 PM   #33
LewisB

Quote:
Ok, so I was going to leave it alone but I decided to do an update. Going to do it via wi-fi. Maybe it will pick it up as the tt is about 300 feet behind the house and if it doesn't I will try with a hot spot. Flashbacks of my Win95B update that took five hours on the phone to fix. Immature technology seems to act like crazy teenagers sometimes. Keeping fingers crossed and being optimistic. Will post results as soon as it is done.
I don't believe you can "do this with WiFi". You will need to download the files to a flash drive which then gets plugged into the iN.Command display. That's what worked for me - and see Post #28 by Mark.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:16 PM   #34
LewisB

Quote:
I felt pretty much the same way when we purchased our 2018 Raptor. Since then, I have sort of begun to like the iN.Command system. It is actually easy to use on the iPhone and provides the following advantages over switches:
  1. Walk around (inside & outside) when extending/storing slide-outs. Those cabinet doors that can pop open and get caught by the slide are no longer an issue.
  2. Access to your tank levels (fresh, gray, black, generator fuel, toy fuel) at any time and any (bluetooth) location. So when we are sitting at the fire and DW asks how much water we have left, I have the answer. Yes, all of my tank levels are still working after a year!
  3. For the roadside potty stop, I always was in a rush and forgot to turn on the water pump - no longer a problem - just use my phone.
  4. While travelling on a hot day, I can use my iPhone to start the generator (and the AC) ahead of our stop to pre-cool the rig.
  5. We're sitting around outside and it gets dark - enjoying the stars. When DW gets up to go inside, I can turn on any/all the exterior and interior lights.
  6. (Best for Last) - I just laid down for my afternoon nap when the breeze comes up and I realise the awnings are still out. Now I can roll over and use my phone to resolve the issue.
So, sometimes I guess the iN.Command system can be a problem. In my case, it has worked pretty well. And I have grown to be fond of the system for all the above reasons (and probably more I can't remember).
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:58 PM   #35
KRumm

I like turning on the heat and hot water heater from under the covers...
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:53 PM   #36
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRumm View Post
When I turn on the controller screen I get a dialogue box telling me new software is available... I got tired of seeing it and having to dismiss the screen so I went to try and update the software... That scene starts the update and fails saying not available (I have WiFi on and connected)...

How can I update ?
"Not available" means it can't find a USB stick with new software plugged into the display port, because you haven't plugged one in. It's a poor error message, especially because it uses "available" in a completely different context than its other message.

Quote:
As a relatively tech-savvy old fart, I have to ask this: What in the world would make a grown man want to turn on a fan or water pump with their Iphone?
I can tell you what would want to make me turn the water pump, water heater, or the furnace off with my phone -- realizing 30 miles down the highway that I forgot to do one of those things when we broke camp!

But I do enjoy being able to alter the thermostat, fan settings, awning light, etc. at night without getting out of bed, joggling the DW, waking the GK, and tripping over the dogs.

Quote:
Ok, so I was going to leave it alone but I decided to do an update. Going to do it via wi-fi.
As far as I know, inCommand doesn't update via WiFi... at least yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they announce this new feature by the end of 2021, because it's so obvious... though whether or not it would be available on older existing units I wouldn't even pretend to guess.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:48 PM   #37
QCMan
Gone Traveling

See post #21
Old 08-18-2020, 04:19 AM   #38
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRumm View Post
I like turning on the heat and hot water heater from under the covers...

We have the trailer parked at a summer site we use on weekends, about 2 hours from home. Since it's 100+ degrees here, I like using In Command's Global Connect feature to turn on the AC units while we are en route!
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:25 AM   #39
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Smile Fully updated!

After much ado, the chip transfer was a total no go. Put the wi-fi booster out the house window and got the system to recognize it. Note-the enter button is a dot, not a down arrow like tech thinks it is. Went to the OTA section in settings and hit update and all three files downloaded. Had a cup of coffee while this was going on and had time to empty the fresh tank that was filled prior to the last storm.
After they finished downloading it was automatic and they updated one by one with no input needed. Checked every function except heat and hot water and all seem to work fine. I must say that tech support is very efficient but the info they have is just slightly off in a few points but a little help from them and some guesswork on my end got the job done. Not very intuitive but trying different approaches seemed to work. I will give ASA an A for effort and a B+ for knowing exactly what the screens show. BTW, all three files on the tt were down revs of the latest ones, one by just two days and the other two by six months.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:09 PM   #40
LHaven

Quote:
See post #21
I'm seeing it, but I'm reading it as two independent statements, not a report that he updated his FW over his WiFi. Or was there another reason to see #21?