Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2020, 06:10 PM   #1
matlt

Are all keystones aluminum frame?

We are looking at buying our first rv. Right now I am eyeing a 2020 springdale 201rd. It has the corrugated aluminum sides. Does this mean it has a wooden cage? When I watch their videos keystone implies that all of their trailers are aluminum cage.
matlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:26 PM   #2
Gary R.

Greetings and welcome to the forum.

I do not know the answer to your question, but I can tell you there is a sticker near the front door on our Alpine advertising it is an aluminum frame.

I'm sure someone will be by shortly with an answer for you!

Cheers!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:29 AM   #3
Mikendebbie

I looked at the 2020 Springdale brochure online and it appears that the fifth wheels are aluminum framed - so other models will be wood frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	354FD1A3-53AF-4BF7-9654-4DD08A4F9611.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	27506  
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:29 AM   #4
SummitPond

My understanding is if the TT has a smooth outer skin the frame is Al; if the outer skin is composed of individual horizontal panels the frame is wood. At least that's the way it used to be, things may have changed. The particular model's brochure should have construction information in it.

Best wishes in your shopping. Welcome to the forum.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:17 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Springdale conventional travel trailers are wooden frame, wooden floor joists, wooden rafters. The Springdale fifth wheel trailers have "vacuum bonded aluminum frame sidewalls with wooden floor joists, wooden rafters and wooden front/rear walls. In the fifth wheels, the "upper deck floor" is aluminum.

Two "notable" plusses for the Springdale line are the solid floor (no sandwich construction that is prone to water damage) and a fully walkable roof.

For many years, almost all travel trailers (except Airstream, Holiday Rambler, Avion, Silver Streak and Silver Stream) were built with a wood frame. There is no "significant problem" with wood construction, as long as the trailer does not develop a leak. There are 40 and 50 year old travel trailers with wood frames that still travel the highways. Advantages to aluminum framing are more rigidity (which can also cause weld cracks so not always a plus) resistance to water damage (but the interior luan and the exterior FILON can often separate from the bonded construction either from adhesive failure or water damage) so even the plusses have some disadvantages...

I owned a 2011 Springdale fifth wheel. It was a "simple, no frills" fifth wheel. We never had any problems with the trailer except the refrigerator which was covered under warranty by Dometic. Otherwise, for an entry level trailer, it was well built, towed easily and provided the "basic" RV experience without a large initial investment.

I wouldn't "avoid at all costs" a wood frame trailer, but understand the potential for water damage to be significantly more damaging to the construction.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:50 AM   #6
matlt

I guess i’m not entirely opposed to the idea of the wood frame as long as keystone has a reputation for building them well. I’ve been trying to decide which one to get as this TT will be stored outside in the Arizona sun. I feel like the aluminum exterior will stand up to this far better than the fiber glass. I will also be primarily usong this for camping and driving off road. It sounds like wood may actually be preferable for this as well.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:00 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by matlt View Post
I guess i’m not entirely opposed to the idea of the wood frame as long as keystone has a reputation for building them well. I’ve been trying to decide which one to get as this TT will be stored outside in the Arizona sun. I feel like the aluminum exterior will stand up to this far better than the fiber glass.
Depending on who you ask, Keystone's reputation is either Great, Good, Fair or TERRIBLE... It's all a matter of "what happened with my trailer" and the number of people who complain always outnumbers the number of people who praise.

So, IMHO, whether it's a Keystone, a Forest River or another manufacturer, they all are, for the most part, put together in the same area by a "rotating crew of local residents" in the same type of assembly area, using the same equipment and supplies, installing the same appliances, tanks, plumbing, axles, tires all on the same frame in the same "rush to get it finished so we can go home" attitude.... So, no matter what you buy, the most important factors are floorplan, overall size/weight for your tow vehicle and dealer reputation to take care of you after the sale.... NEARLY ALL RV DEALERS ARE GREAT AND FULL OF PROMISES before the sale. YOU NEED TO FIND ONE THAT IS ALSO GOING TO TAKE CARE OF YOU AFTER THE SALE WITH THAT SAME ATTITUDE...…

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:10 AM   #8
matlt

This bias is something I understand quite well. Its the internet in general. People with a negative opinion are going to try their best to make the world hear it. Most people that have no issues or marginal issues are just going to continue on with life and no one will ever know.

Tags
keystone