Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2020, 03:07 PM   #1
TXCamper

Hooking Up Modem For Wi-Fi

Hello all,

Last time I was on this forum, I was full-timing in West TX with my Cougar Half-Ton. Now I'm living near Phoenix, Arizona! The park I'm staying in is much nicer than the one I had left, but it is certainly lacking in internet capability. This wasn't too much of an issue, but now that the Coronavirus is spreading, my company has told all of us to work from home until the next week and maybe even longer. My Wi-Fi here is terrible and I can't just sit around for two weeks doing nothing.

I've talked to Cox Communications and they provide a DIY kit that comes free with their high speed internet. My question is...How do I set it up and am I even able to set it up? It says that the coax cable needs to be plugged into the wall, but where is that located exactly? Is it the one on the ceiling in the bedroom? I'm just trying to do my due diligence before I order this thing and then can't even use it! Has anyone ever subscribed to a internet provider and set up the modem/router?

Thanks!
TXCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:20 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

It would help if you shared with us the year and model of your camper.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:22 PM   #3
TXCamper

I was looking to see how to update my signature on here, I will do that quickly.
I'm in a 2018 Cougar Half-Ton 27RLS
Old 03-16-2020, 03:30 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I’m wondering if there is even a feed in the park. Does your unit have KeyTV?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:39 PM   #5
TXCamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I’m wondering if there is even a feed in the park. Does your unit have KeyTV?
My unit does not have KeyTV, just the coax hookup that feeds into the camper from the outside, a coax hookup behind my telescopic living room TV and the powered coax hookup in the ceiling of my bedroom.

There also seems to already be a Cox Communications cable box hooked up near the post outside. I'm sorry if I'm not being that helpful, I'm a real rookie at this stuff.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:48 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Your ok, and doing good. If there is a Cox communication box then you might be good to go. I would use the SAT in port and then hook up the modem to the SAT out at either location.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:10 PM   #7
Camp CA

Suggest getting your own router. We have a Verizon router plus a hot spot on our cell phones to access wifi.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:03 AM   #8
Jreeves54

First thought, "just plug coax into wall" might mean they assume you have internet from a cable company. If you do not, how would you received high speed broadband? ComCast uses cable for TV and Internet connection. Verizon uses optics from the phone line and coax from a box they install, but the coax mainly pertains to being about to update the Cable Programing on the TV, and the Internet connection is by ethernet cable.
Jreeves54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod