Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2020, 07:16 AM   #1
Benbill

I Give Up...

I have a 2020 keystone Montana 3921FB and we are out on our second adventure. On our first short checkout trip I never had time to try and start the icemaker. Now with a little more time, I have spent nearly 2 hours trying to figure out how to get the icemaker started. I finally found the water supply line shut off underneath the stove, turned it on, but still no water is reaching the ice trays. I have restarted the icemaker numerous times with the test switch under the unit. Is there a second water shut off that I missing? Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. I apologize if this has already been covered, but I could not find any answers doing a search on the forum.
Benbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:51 AM   #2
LewisB

Dumb Question: Do you have a city water connection or is the pump on to pressurize the system? We don't have an icemaker, but it occurs to me that the system would need to be pressurized to work.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:01 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

How far away is the water valve from the icemaker? It may have not purged all the air from the water line yet.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:11 AM   #4
Benbill

Yes, all hooked up to the city water and system is pressurized.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:15 AM   #5
Benbill

The refrigerator is bolted into the wall as a part of the door closure lock system, so I am unable to easily pull the refrigerator away from the wall, but it looks like from the valve to the back of the refrigerator can’t be any more than 4 to 5 feet unless they have extra line coiled up.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:25 AM   #6
Carl n Susan

Yes there is a second valve. A common problem with the Montana residential refer. I don't know exactly where it is in your model but there is one near the refer in a cabinet. The Montana Owners Club Forum (montanaowners.com) will have the answer for you.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:41 AM   #7
Benbill

It is the second valve that remains a mystery. I did find the one behind the drawer underneath the stove.

Isn’t it pathetic that we spend this much money on a camper and Keystone can’t come up with good communications to assist New owners on some of these quirky set up issues. I know I’m not the only one. Such poor customer service.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:02 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

As stated in the previous post, there are two valves that control water flow to the ice maker. One is in the "main coach" (under the sink) and the other is "in the slide" near the refrigerator. The reason for two manual valves is to "isolate the water line under the slide" because it is not protected by any insulation, can freeze and damage the trailer cold water system.

So, go outside your RV, crawl under the slide where the refrigerator is located, you'll find a flexible water line that goes from the "main trailer, up into the slide". Make note of where that water line goes "up into the trailer". Then go inside, find that location (probably in a cabinet next to the refrigerator) and when you find that line, follow it to the "slide side water valve" that will allow water to flow to the ice maker once you turn it on. It's probably in a cabinet, behind a panel, well "hidden from view" and protected so it won't be damaged by sliding pots, pans or whatever might be stored in that space.

There is a diagram in the Keystone Owner's Manual that depicts how the ice maker is plumbed into the main water system. That drawing shows the "theory" of why 2 valves are needed and shows the "basic location" of the valves.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:38 AM   #9
Benbill

I can’t see any valves. Only just the connectors for the tubing and then it all disappears underneath the weatherproofing.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:43 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

On the slide, where it turns and goes up, into the trailer. Make a mental note of that location, then GO INSIDE the trailer and find that spot. When you find the spot INSIDE, you'll find the water line. Follow that water line INSIDE the trailer and you'll find that second valve.

Your photos are outside, under the trailer. There are no valves there. They wouldn't be protected from freezing temperatures there. The valves are INSIDE.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-06-2020, 11:01 AM   #11
Benbill

They come up behind the fireplace insert. I’m not back at the trailer right now to further inspect, but I will. I thought that the valve would be outside such that maybe there was a drain and a valve together for draining during freezing temperatures.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:53 AM   #12
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

I've always considered an ice maker a waste of freezer space.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:02 PM   #13
Benbill

Mystery solved. The valve that was eluding me was the valve that was not under the sink, but rather behind the sink where you could not see it unless you laid on your back. What genius engineer came up with that one when there is 2 1/2 feet of the same cold water pipe plainly visible? Thank you to all the forum participants who helped me to resolve this frustrating issue.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:07 PM   #14
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Just curious if your dealer went over this in your PDI or if you called them for help? As stated on this forum ad nauseam, Keystone will always point you to your selling dealer as your first line of contact. The forum is here to help as well.

You have options when problems arise. You are never alone and never helpless.

Glad you found it. Now go out and enjoy it.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 02:22 PM   #15
Benbill

No, the ice maker was never addressed in the walk through.

Yes, I contacted my salesman, left a message, and told her what my issue was and asked her to have someone in service call me. I never heard back.

Thank you all for your support.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:38 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Thanks for providing the final solution that worked for you...

As for the salesman/salesgal, seems yours "fits the same profile" as most of the others.... Ready to smile and act friendly before the sale, either won't talk to you, runs the other direction when you arrive at the dealership or pretends not to know who you are when you approach them after cashing your check....

Anyway, glad you found the answers you need.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-06-2020, 02:42 PM   #17
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Only truth I've got from a salesman was I told him about all the stuff that falls off these crappy built trailers. His reply was that's why my shop is 10x bigger than the showroom.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 02:48 PM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benbill View Post
No, the ice maker was never addressed in the walk through.

Yes, I contacted my salesman, left a message, and told her what my issue was and asked her to have someone in service call me. I never heard back.

Thank you all for your support.
Thanks for posting back you're findings and you're experience with the dealer. Shame on them for an inadequate PDI and and ignoring your call.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:20 PM   #19
dadnjesse

I never was shown how to use mine either when I did my PDI. I found out on my first camping trip that week I bought it. I hooked up turned on the water and mine wasn't working, I left for a while to visit my sister a couple campsites away and when I returned there was water pouring out from under the camper. Turns out they never winterized it from the last demo. My trailer was sold then financing fell through. Between that time the line froze.
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:21 PM   #20
bobbecky

Just think, in a few years when you’ve finally figured out where everything is on your rig and how it all works, how much smarter you will have become. By that time you will probably want to upgrade to a new trailer. The downside will be that you will have to start all over again getting smarter.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote