Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2020, 03:32 PM   #1
Twisties

Water Lines Freezing

So, the hot water line to the kitchen sink has frozen three times now. Once when we had a low of 15 F, once when we had a low of 14 F, and last night with a low of 10 F. Last night, the cold water line froze as well.

We are filling the fresh water tank and running off the pump, to avoid freezing our water hose. The water pump is not running without demand, therefore we believe there has been no damage, or at least no leaks.

The 10 F was surprise, and a record low for the date and area. We don't expect to see that again, but we need to figure out how to handle 15 F, as we may come close to that again.

We had the tank heating pads running, we had turned off the electric space heater so the propane central heat ran more, left the thermostat up at night, and opened the cabinet doors... still froze up.

The lines originate in an area behind the pass through compartment which houses the pump, water heater and propane furnace. We don't see any evidence of freezing in that area, as all the other water works, and it's all right there.

The kitchen lines meet up in that area and then dive into the underbelly where we can't see them. They come back up about 5-6' away in the far end of the kitchen island, behind the drawers.

Questions: If this continues is it likely to cause damage, or is this ok? If we want to have this fixed, is it a warranty issue (we're supposedly 0 F rated)? If not, or if we don't want to take the trailer back to Oregon (we're in New Mexico and headed east), what would we do about it?

Thanks!
Twisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:11 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Check and insulate your low point drains. They're the two drain lines that extend under your RV to drain the system for winterization. Chances are what's happening is the water in those lines, exposed to the cold temperature is freezing and migrating up to the "T" where that drain connects to the hot/cold water lines in the trailer "belly".

You can insulate them with a piece of foam pipe insulation. I'd suggest a double/triple thickness, held in place with duct tape. This is one of the few times when the "cheap duck tape" will work.

With keeping the cabinet doors open, make sure that the water lines through any cabinet or under a dinette seat, etc. are not touching the outside wall of the trailer. There is a "hollow aluminum square tube at the base of the trailer wall with no insulation inside it, so any plumbing that runs along that area will be "exposed to super chilled conditions" as it lays against that part of the trailer wall.

Also check your outdoor shower. It may be causing the problem. I "packed" a layer of foam rubber in mine and closed and locked the door for the winter. Other people have disconnected the hot/cold lines at the "T" and capped them for the winter, but I haven't used my trailer in weather cold enough to need to do that.

I think you'll find the low point drains to be your problem.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:21 PM   #3
Twisties

Thanks! Will do.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:25 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

As far as running off the pump vs using a hose so you won't freeze the hose...I don't/wouldn't. Depending on the location of the pump the feed lines to it can cause one more section of water line subjected to freezing. I never turn mine on in very cold weather and use a heated hose...no problems.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:45 AM   #5
Roscommon48

as for warranty, probably not.
get to warmer weather is the answer:-)

we just came out of key west at 88 and now are in texas at 35 degrees....what a change.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:31 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post

we just came out of key west at 88 and now are in texas at 35 degrees....what a change.
Was a balmy 24F this morning in the sunny Texas Hill Country. Yuch
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:52 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Was a balmy 24F this morning in the sunny Texas Hill Country. Yuch

Yikes!! Leaving FL in the morning headed back to TX....why or WHY are we doing it?!! Life events just "happened", but man oh man I wish I was staying here. I used to work outside in everything from110 to sub zero but now I think my "comfort zone" has shrunk to something like 65-85....depending on location, humidity etc. of course.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:05 AM   #8
Twisties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post

We were living on the Oregon Coast for 7 years, and had been missing winter. Brought our x-c skiis in the RV, and have been loving the opportunity to run up into Colorado and ski some. As well, this is our winter tour of some places we think we might want to relocate to.

I'd move up into CO if I thought the unit could handle the lower temps in Durango. But we're planted down here in Aztec, about 800' lower in elevation and relatively warm... 5 degrees warmer at least.

Warmer has it's benefits, but right now we're enjoying a little taste of winter. We have one more cold stop, then will be heading south and east.

Tags
water