Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2020, 11:33 AM   #1
michaelrc51

2014 Raptor 300mp Electrical question

We have been running the generator at times to power the RV as I haven't excavated next to my house where it's home will be. I've noticed the battery that goes to start the generator has been down to 10v a couple times, once it's started it goes up to 13v so it is being charged.

My question is, does everyone's RV have one battery that is going directly to the generator or are the batteries paralleled?

Looking at the setup, I would think someone has messed with some of the wiring and the parallel cables were removed.

I'm assuming it was paralleled from the factory and someone changed it. How are other people's RVs with generators wired, both batts paralleled or one to start the generator and one going to RV?
michaelrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:51 PM   #2
Fishsizzle

If no one answers, I’ll have my step pop take a picture of his Fuzion set up. He had (2) batteries and we added (2) more. I’m out of town till Monday, but he can get pics sooner if you are in desperate need
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:37 PM   #3
Brentw

Mine was connected to the coach batteries, run your coach dead, no generator start.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:42 PM   #4
Fishsizzle

I would imagine one battery isn’t enough for the the trailer. He might need to get a 2-3 battery set up with an isolator so the Gen start battery doesn’t get drawn down with the run batteries
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:36 AM   #5
michaelrc51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
I would imagine one battery isn’t enough for the the trailer. He might need to get a 2-3 battery set up with an isolator so the Gen start battery doesn’t get drawn down with the run batteries
Thanks.

I have 2 batteries, as it appears......1 is going straight to the generator and 1 is going to the RV.
If this is how it normally is, that is fine. My electrical background would tell me that both batteries should be wired in parallel, keeping the 12VDC but doubling up the amperage. But if that is how it normally is, that is fine.....it would isolate the generator start up battery from being drawn down with the RV.
It may be that I just need to get a new battery for the generator, not sure until I know how everything is set up.

Both batteries are Interstate sold dated 2/18 so I'd think they prob aren't bad.

I am new to RVs and I understand low and high voltage, I work with both for my job. I am trying to wrap my head around how everything in the RV is setup.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:14 AM   #6
Brentw

I do not know about the majority of connections, but I believe that most units came with 1 or 2 batteries wired together, and the generator was connected as just another load. As fishsizzle said, if you are going to continue to operate as you are. I would split your batteries to a house bank ( 2 6v or 2 12v, your call) and a separate starting battery for gennie on a isolation so it can be charged from coach system.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:22 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Something not yet addressed is the issue of battery damage by discharging them beyond recommended levels.

Most flooded lead/acid batteries (FLA) should not be discharged below 50% (for true deep cycle batteries) or 70% (for maintenance free/hybrid FLA batteries).

The voltage level for 50% discharge is 12.06 VDC and
the voltage level for 70% discharge is 12.32 VDC.

If you are reading 10 VDC then you (your system) is discharging your battery bank to a level far below the recommendations. That will critically reduce the battery's capacity to hold a charge and limit the "recycle capacity" (ability to be recharged over and over) for the future.

I'd suspect that if you've seen 10VDC at the battery (10.5 VDC is 0% charge) multiple times, then you've likely damaged that battery's capacity for longevity. It's going to fail sooner than it should, the question is when.

I'd fully charge the batteries, have them load tested and see if they are damaged. They may not hold an adequate charge any longer. And, even if they do, how long they will continue to maintain that capacity is questionable.

One member here stated that in his research, a battery that has been "fully discharged" (to less than 10.5 VDC) loses approximately 80% of its longevity for repeated charge/discharge cycles.

I'd suspect that your batteries may no longer be "undamaged with 100% capacity"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:33 AM   #8
michaelrc51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentw View Post
I do not know about the majority of connections, but I believe that most units came with 1 or 2 batteries wired together, and the generator was connected as just another load. As fishsizzle said, if you are going to continue to operate as you are. I would split your batteries to a house bank ( 2 6v or 2 12v, your call) and a separate starting battery for gennie on a isolation so it can be charged from coach system.
This is what I suspect it left the factory wired as.
I'm trying to wrap my head around the whole system and see why it has discharged to the point it has.
If this was the coach battery, I could see the battery falling below where it has but if this is an isolated battery tied only to starting the generator I don't see how/ why it has fallen to the point it has. I may have to replace the battery, but I'm also thinking I'll add another battery isolated as you guys have suggested.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:38 AM   #9
michaelrc51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Something not yet addressed is the issue of battery damage by discharging them beyond recommended levels.

Most flooded lead/acid batteries (FLA) should not be discharged below 50% (for true deep cycle batteries) or 70% (for maintenance free/hybrid FLA batteries).

The voltage level for 50% discharge is 12.06 VDC and
the voltage level for 70% discharge is 12.32 VDC.

If you are reading 10 VDC then you (your system) is discharging your battery bank to a level far below the recommendations. That will critically reduce the battery's capacity to hold a charge and limit the "recycle capacity" (ability to be recharged over and over) for the future.

I'd suspect that if you've seen 10VDC at the battery (10.5 VDC is 0% charge) multiple times, then you've likely damaged that battery's capacity for longevity. It's going to fail sooner than it should, the question is when.

I'd fully charge the batteries, have them load tested and see if they are damaged. They may not hold an adequate charge any longer. And, even if they do, how long they will continue to maintain that capacity is questionable.

One member here stated that in his research, a battery that has been "fully discharged" (to less than 10.5 VDC) loses approximately 80% of its longevity for repeated charge/discharge cycles.

I'd suspect that your batteries may no longer be "undamaged with 100% capacity"...
Yes, thank you for that.

If I have to replace it I will. But, first I want to understand why this has occurred.
Since I just purchased the RV, I'm still piecing things together.
Did this happen due to someone rewiring things they shouldn't have?
Did I run the battery down unknowingly?
If I ran it down, why is the battery that is starting the generator the one with the issue?
When at the dealership, they had it plugged in which I assume was charging both circuits. They removed shore power and the generator fired right up.

This battery may be pretty shot, but I'd like to figure out why and learn from it or fix what is wrong before I spend $200 on a new battery.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:58 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

I understand your concern and can't suggest "how to fix it" because there are several different wiring configurations, all intended to meet a specific set of circumstances, and not all "compatible" with each other.

There's one configuration where all the batteries run both the house circuits and the generator starting circuit. Run them down, and you're "dead". Most of those have an "automatic start system" on the generator to recharge automatically.

Another configuration has a separate battery for the generator, so you can always start the generator, even if the house batteries are dead. The problem is that most generators do not have a "start battery charge system" so the generator battery must be "manually charged" to keep it ready to use. Some systems "wire the generator battery to the house converter/charger" to solve that problem, other wiring configurations avoid that, mostly because of the automatic transfer switch wiring.

Another configuration is similar to the second, but has a built in (separate) charger for the generator battery.

What's on your trailer ???? Who knows, that's part of why making a recommendation is difficult. It not only depends on how it's currently wired, it also depends on what other equipment is wired into the system and finally, it depends on what you're trying to accomplish...

So... without much more information about what you want as a "final outcome" and what equipment is to be included in "your system" about all you can get is "this is the way mine works" which may (or may not) be the same as yours, both is what's in the system, how it works and why it's wired that way.....

I'd suggest finding a "competent" RV service technician, have him look at it, discuss with him what your "final goals are" and get his opinions on how best to accomplish them given what's in your trailer, how it's wired and what you'll need to do to rewire it to meet your goals.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-23-2020, 05:25 PM   #11
michaelrc51

Quote:
I understand your concern and can't suggest "how to fix it" because there are several different wiring configurations, all intended to meet a specific set of circumstances, and not all "compatible" with each other.

There's one configuration where all the batteries run both the house circuits and the generator starting circuit. Run them down, and you're "dead". Most of those have an "automatic start system" on the generator to recharge automatically.

Another configuration has a separate battery for the generator, so you can always start the generator, even if the house batteries are dead. The problem is that most generators do not have a "start battery charge system" so the generator battery must be "manually charged" to keep it ready to use. Some systems "wire the generator battery to the house converter/charger" to solve that problem, other wiring configurations avoid that, mostly because of the automatic transfer switch wiring.

Another configuration is similar to the second, but has a built in (separate) charger for the generator battery.

What's on your trailer ???? Who knows, that's part of why making a recommendation is difficult. It not only depends on how it's currently wired, it also depends on what other equipment is wired into the system and finally, it depends on what you're trying to accomplish...

So... without much more information about what you want as a "final outcome" and what equipment is to be included in "your system" about all you can get is "this is the way mine works" which may (or may not) be the same as yours, both is what's in the system, how it works and why it's wired that way.....

I'd suggest finding a "competent" RV service technician, have him look at it, discuss with him what your "final goals are" and get his opinions on how best to accomplish them given what's in your trailer, how it's wired and what you'll need to do to rewire it to meet your goals.
Thank you for all of that information.

I appreciate the suggestion but I dread having other people and technicians touch my vehicles, unless I just can't do it myself. In that case, I will research tp find a company that can perform the task. I've had to many issues that I won't rehash at this time with plenty of shops who are supposed to be "competent".

In this case I will dig into the electrical system and get a decent understanding of the layout of it. I have to install the Progressive Industries 50amp EMS unit I purchased anyway. I am a competent electrician, if I understand how everything is working I can figure out how to improve the system to my desires. Usually my work is much better than when I have someone else digging into my stuff, sad but true.

I started looking for an answer as to how others are wired from the factory. Now, I am thinking about what if any changes need to be made.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:21 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm not sure that the trailers leave the factory "wired the same" based on how they are ordered by the dealer.

Example. A dealer orders a toyhauler "wired for generator" (because he can buy the generator cheaper from a supplier than from Keystone). It would be wired without a generator or transfer switch and those components would be installed (with the re-wire changes) at the dealership.

A second dealer orders a toyhauler "with generator installed as an option at Keystone. That trailer would have the generator AND transfer switch wired "at the factory" and may have "different charging battery connections, different transfer switch installation and different fuel system connecitons (type and location of any electric fuel pump, etc)… Not to mention differences in switch locations, gauge locations, etc...

So, depending on where/when your generator was installed, it may have an "entirely different wiring schematic and fuel system" from an exact model trailer that you may find sitting side by side with the generator installed under different circumstances.

ADDED: I'd also wonder if your generator was installed "at the factory" or if, when you bought the trailer, if it's possible the dealer installed the generator there, rather than order it from the factory with the trailer??? What I'm thinking, is that you may not even have a "factory installed generator" in your trailer, unless you followed the build, transport, delivery to the dealership and sale to you.... I'm not suggesting anything "underhanded" rather suggesting that just because you bought the trailer "new with a generator in it" doesn't mean it was "installed at Goshen by Keystone"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-23-2020, 06:31 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Units can also be ordered with “gen prep” that includes the remote panel, remote start wiring and a transfer switch. As for the EMS, I believe it get installed AFTER the transfer switch, BEFORE the main breaker.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:39 PM   #14
michaelrc51

Quote:
I'm not sure that the trailers leave the factory "wired the same" based on how they are ordered by the dealer.

Example. A dealer orders a toyhauler "wired for generator" (because he can buy the generator cheaper from a supplier than from Keystone). It would be wired without a generator or transfer switch and those components would be installed (with the re-wire changes) at the dealership.

A second dealer orders a toyhauler "with generator installed as an option at Keystone. That trailer would have the generator AND transfer switch wired "at the factory" and may have "different charging battery connections, different transfer switch installation and different fuel system connecitons (type and location of any electric fuel pump, etc)… Not to mention differences in switch locations, gauge locations, etc...

So, depending on where/when your generator was installed, it may have an "entirely different wiring schematic and fuel system" from an exact model trailer that you may find sitting side by side with the generator installed under different circumstances.

ADDED: I'd also wonder if your generator was installed "at the factory" or if, when you bought the trailer, if it's possible the dealer installed the generator there, rather than order it from the factory with the trailer??? What I'm thinking, is that you may not even have a "factory installed generator" in your trailer, unless you followed the build, transport, delivery to the dealership and sale to you.... I'm not suggesting anything "underhanded" rather suggesting that just because you bought the trailer "new with a generator in it" doesn't mean it was "installed at Goshen by Keystone"....
OK, I get what you're saying.

This is a new to me, 2014 RV. IDK if this generator was in the unit as purchased new but I would think it appears that way. Generator has a 8/2013 manufacture date and these 300MP units all have Cummins Generators, I think they were standard. Regardless, I need to investigate and wrap my head around the whole system for my own good.

The battery is an Interstate SRM-27 which is a depp cycle 600 CCA battery. For starting the generator I would think a higher CCA battery, one of the "starting" or "dual purpose" lines would probably be a better fit. Since it has discharged so low, I will just replace it with a higher CCA unit.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:40 PM   #15
michaelrc51

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Units can also be ordered with “gen prep” that includes the remote panel, remote start wiring and a transfer switch. As for the EMS, I believe it get installed AFTER the transfer switch, BEFORE the main breaker.
OK.
Yeah, that's consistent with what I've read.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:06 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelrc51 View Post
OK, I get what you're saying.

This is a new to me, 2014 RV. IDK if this generator was in the unit as purchased new but I would think it appears that way. Generator has a 8/2013 manufacture date and these 300MP units all have Cummins Generators, I think they were standard. Regardless, I need to investigate and wrap my head around the whole system for my own good.

The battery is an Interstate SRM-27 which is a depp cycle 600 CCA battery. For starting the generator I would think a higher CCA battery, one of the "starting" or "dual purpose" lines would probably be a better fit. Since it has discharged so low, I will just replace it with a higher CCA unit.
Somewhere in the original owner's packet is a "yellow copy" of the Keystone build sheet. That document will list every component that was "OEM Installed" on the assembly line. It will have the model and serial numbers of every appliance, the water pump, tires, etc. If the generator was installed at Keystone, it will be on that document. If it was added later, it may be "penciled in" on that document (probably in a different handwriting/ink color/etc)… If you can find the "build sheet" it will be readily apparent whether the generator is "factory or dealer installed".

To the battery, if it has CCA (cold cranking amps) listed on it, then it is not a true "deep cycle battery". It is a "hybrid/dual purpose battery". What's the difference between the two" Grid thickness, amount of space between cell structures, rigidity and vibration resistance, etc.

In FLA batteries, there is no "maintenance free/deep cycle" battery. All the true deep cycle batteries will be "missing the CCA info" and will have cell caps to add water to the cells.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-01-2020, 09:38 AM   #17
rs1718

I have a 2012 raptor 300mp. The generator has a separate battery
rs1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:24 AM   #18
LewisB

We have a 2018 Raptor 353TS. I think most batteries are supplied and wired by the dealer. In ours, the 2 batteries are paralleled and connected to the coach (load), the generator, the solar system, and the inverter system. The parallelling cables should be adequately sized to insure that all loads and sources see uniform resistance to both batteries. This insures that both batteries are fully utilized and fully charged.

If your batteries get to the point they won't start the generator, hook up your TV and let it run for a few minutes. Every unit I have owned would start the generator from the TV, even when the coach batteries were nearly dead.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:41 AM   #19
michaelrc51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs1718 View Post
I have a 2012 raptor 300mp. The generator has a separate battery

Ok, so your’s is wired like I mentioned mine is?
Old 03-02-2020, 08:52 AM   #20
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelrc51 View Post
Ok, so your’s is wired like I mentioned mine is?
I would recommend you stop thinking in terms of "how your generator is wired"; you really need to think in terms of your entire electrical system. You likely have:
  • multiple loads (main coach, inverter?, auxiliary jacks/stabilizers, etc.)
  • a factory "disconnect" switch that doesn't really disconnect everything and will drive you nuts if you forget and leave it off during trouble-shooting
  • multiple sources (shore power, generator, tow vehicle, solar system?)
  • load switching (your toy hauler probably has auto-load switching between shore power and generator sources)
  • load monitoring (does your generator system include an auto-start capability based on battery voltage?)
  • multiple batteries with a very large variety in how those loads and sources can be connect to both of those batteries.
In a lot of cases, a dealer (or prior owner) may just indiscriminately hook things up to one of the batteries with no specific plan. Then by using undersized paralleling cables they may place unbalanced loads on one or both of the batteries. If the paralleling cables are missing, then only half of your system may be utilized on some loads, and only half of you system is likely being "charged" when one of the sources is utilized. It all depends on what loads and what sources are connected to what battery. If you truly have your generator connected to only one battery, then the generator can only charge that one battery unless there are other electrical components for charging the remaining battery. So you really need to consider your electrical components from a systemic approach.

For best all around use, it is my opinion that you should probably;
  • Run multiple 12V batteries in parallel.
  • Make sure to use heavy paralleling cables between each battery (ideally, you want each source and/or load to "see" identical resistance to each/every battery in the bank)
  • Actively monitor your battery bank when you are not connected to shore power or using your generator.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, raptor