Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2020, 11:15 AM   #21
bfisher003

We’ve been using the EEZTire system for over three years and it works great. As previously said, most of the systems are pretty similar and good. The important thing is to have and use one. Here is one example of ours most likely saving us from a blowout and maybe damage to a trailer. We had been up to Alaska and due to a broken spring hanger suffered on a frost heave we had worn one of the trailer tires badly, so we stopped in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory and got a complete new set of tires installed. After the installer had the tires back on the trailer and was done I put all the sensors back on and before heading out I let all of them cycle through on the monitor. When it got to the driver side rear tire the unit immediately alarmed out with a low pressure of 32 psi. Had we not had the system we would not have known we had a problem. Get one. Use it.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:29 AM   #22
CaptnJohn

TST 507 for years!

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:21 PM   #23
LewisB

TST 507 with flow through sensors & metal valve stems.

Most important feature (to me)? Buy a system that does NOT have to have the tires rotating in order to check them. If your system requires rotation to work, then you have to check the tires manually before you leave, or leave and then learn that you have a low tire. So it turns out not all TPMS systems are created equal. The 507 allows you to simply turn on the monitor while you are getting ready to go - it will check your tires and alert you as required.

We actually had this happen on our last trip. Travelled and then camped (boon docking). While the trailer was sitting on the level-up hydraulic system, one of the tires went 50% flat - we figured it was something we picked up on the road into the campsite. The morning before we were getting ready to go, I turned on the 507 monitor and it alerted me to the low tire. The early alert gave me a chance to fix the issue at my convenience BEFORE I drove away. With a rotating system, I would not have known until I came down off the levelors and potentially even started to drive away.

So get a system that transmits even when stationary!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:59 PM   #24
goodellj

I have a TST-510 system that I bought in 2012, on all 4 trailer tires and all 4 truck tires. It has served me well! One highway puncture, several slow leaks, and several 'inexplicable' losses of 1-2 pounds of pressure which turned out to be early symptoms of broken belts.

They don't make or sell the 510 system any more, but reconditioned 510 sensors are available from TST at a bargain price! I needed a few replacements and also got a few extra.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:26 PM   #25
McRod

I had TST 507 pass through, but kept having issues.

I changed to Eezytire and that system works better for me. I use their TPMS with booster.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:51 PM   #26
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Not trying to hijack this thread, but there's another post on this same topic.
I was wondering if there might be a system available that uses an internal sensor like those on cars? Seems to me that would make a lot more sense.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:30 PM   #27
takpak

Talking Tpms

WOW, I must be the only one out there that is using Pressure Pro. Bought it new in 2008. Original sensors were still working when I decided to replace them in 2017 when we got a new fiver. Still using the original display. Granted, it's a bit cumbersome, but Pressure Pro has been really good about customer service. Side note; they now offer a system that uses your cell phone, however, my display is still working good. So, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!
2017 Montana 3810
2015 GMC SLT K3500 double cab, SRW, Duramax/Allison
takpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:05 PM   #28
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
Not trying to hijack this thread, but there's another post on this same topic.
I was wondering if there might be a system available that uses an internal sensor like those on cars? Seems to me that would make a lot more sense.
The vehicle-based systems have the advantage of being factory installed; and being able to report to the vehicle-based viewscreen; also, they are government mandated, so the factory can put them in all vehicles knowing you have no recourse but to pay for them.

The trailer-based systems aren't factory-installed because no law requires them, and trailer manufacturers tend to build as cheaply as possible (except for options, and Keystone doesn't do a great job of offering to-order options). Also, they will still require some sort of extra booster to reach the tow vehicle, as well as a separate display, because they can't depend on the truck display.

Here's a link to a Trailer Life article on available TPMSes. I was sort of surprised to find that interior rim-mounted sensors aren't even an current market option for trailers, at any price.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:14 PM   #29
MattHelm21

Another for the TST 507 with six flow through sensors. No problems. Used since 2016.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:20 PM   #30
patyacht

TireMinder A1A
patyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:09 PM   #31
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
The vehicle-based systems have the advantage of being factory installed; and being able to report to the vehicle-based viewscreen; also, they are government mandated, so the factory can put them in all vehicles knowing you have no recourse but to pay for them.

The trailer-based systems aren't factory-installed because no law requires them, and trailer manufacturers tend to build as cheaply as possible (except for options, and Keystone doesn't do a great job of offering to-order options). Also, they will still require some sort of extra booster to reach the tow vehicle, as well as a separate display, because they can't depend on the truck display.

Here's a link to a Trailer Life article on available TPMSes. I was sort of surprised to find that interior rim-mounted sensors aren't even an current market option for trailers, at any price.
But the units could be mounted inside the rims like the autos get. I'm just wondering if a cleaner system like that is available.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:20 PM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
But the units could be mounted inside the rims like the autos get. I'm just wondering if a cleaner system like that is available.
I think there's a compromise between battery size, battery power and the amount of power it takes to broadcast through the steel/aluminum wheels. So far, they haven't developed a system that's strong enough to broadcast a signal from t he wheel to the cab with the batteries currently available in the price range to keep the systems competitive with what's already on the market.

If you think back to the first TPMS in cars, they were a steel band and a "electronics package" close to the size of a hockey puck. Today's systems are much smaller, but the smaller they get, the less power they can package inside the unit. The more power they need, the bigger the battery, so there's a "fine line between small enough, powerful enough and long lasting enough.... As TPMS technology develops, no doubt we'll soon have tires with built in TPMS that won't need any external sensor, but we're not that "evolved" yet.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:34 PM   #33
LHaven

Quote:
If you mean someone could invent something to mount the current units available for trailers inside the rims... I'm sure somebody could, but I'm not going to get my tires remounted every year just so I can change the batteries.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:07 PM   #34
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
If you mean someone could invent something to mount the current units available for trailers inside the rims... I'm sure somebody could, but I'm not going to get my tires remounted every year just so I can change the batteries.

Automotive TPMS units average 5 years or better on the batteries. If you change out your trailer tires as they age out, you could just put in new batteries at that time. I just bought a TPMS scanner and my 2016 Kia shows batteries at or near full charge. So there is potential, but probably not going to happen for RVs.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:12 PM   #35
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Automotive TPMS units average 5 years or better on the batteries. If you change out your trailer tires as they age out, you could just put in new batteries at that time. I just bought a TPMS scanner and my 2016 Kia shows batteries at or near full charge. So there is potential, but probably not going to happen for RVs.
Yup, that's true for TMPS units designed for internal installation, but it's not true of the stem-mounted variety which, at this point, is all you can get for trailers (or at least Trailer Life doesn't know of any others). Trailer units have the additional burden of having to transmit a reading some 30' or more to a responder in the tow vehicle, and nobody to my knowledge has engineered an internal unit that addresses this problem.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:15 PM   #36
chuckster57
Site Team

Yeah, just thinking out loud. I’m not looking to invent anything at this point.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:41 PM   #37
CT Wanderer

TST 507. Works great.
CT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:34 AM   #38
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Yup, that's true for TMPS units designed for internal installation, but it's not true of the stem-mounted variety which, at this point, is all you can get for trailers (or at least Trailer Life doesn't know of any others). Trailer units have the additional burden of having to transmit a reading some 30' or more to a responder in the tow vehicle, and nobody to my knowledge has engineered an internal unit that addresses this problem.
Thanks. That's what I needed to know. I plan to buy a system, but don't want to buy one of these just to find out there are setups with internal senders available.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:42 AM   #39
HDroadglide

I use the TST 507 with flow through caps. It work better than the Tire Minder.
HDroadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:22 PM   #40
kenhigdon

I also am using TST 507 on both truck and 5th wheel trailer. Have had no problem with monitors in the two years of use. Still using the original batteries. I've noticed that the monitor is updated about once every 5 minutes, so it is not a blow-out notifier, but is great for detecting slow leaks and other slow developing anomalies. And yes, I have had two blowouts, and a failed tire stem(not steel) probably caused by putting the tire monitor on the rubber stem of the spare as result of the first blowout.
kenhigdon is offline   Reply With Quote