Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2020, 12:27 PM   #21
Tom 1957

Bed Choice

No problem with accessing storage area below bed!
Tom 1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:40 PM   #22
Rdynbama

Thumbs up

Thank you!👍

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Rdynbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:26 PM   #23
crowbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 4 View Post
Okay, I'm about to expose my redneck side so here goes nuthin'. Years ago the DW saved the foam from six couch cushions (we're talkin' about the serious 6-inch thick variety) and then she created a canvas wrap for each set of three. We called them our "foam burritos" and used them for tent camping. They fit just right in the trailer lying side by side under two flannel sleeping bags zipped together. Wonderfully comfortable. Not for everyone but it's worked out great for us these many years!
Well Dan, your wife must be related to mine! Any Scottish blood there?
crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:16 PM   #24
dutchmensport

Unbelievable, the mattress that came factory with our current fifth wheel has been pretty good and comfortable. However, we've had it for about a year and a half now, and have slept on it (almost) every night. It's beginning to sag. We'll be getting a new one, probably this Spring.

In the past, we replaced all our travel trailer mattresses with whatever we were using in the house, namely, Serta. If it's comfortable in the house, there is no reason why you should not be just as comfortable in your camper. Get the best money can buy (not necessarily the most expensive), and your back and neck will love you for it.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:21 AM   #25
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Unbelievable, the mattress that came factory with our current fifth wheel has been pretty good and comfortable. However, we've had it for about a year and a half now, and have slept on it (almost) every night. It's beginning to sag. We'll be getting a new one, probably this Spring.

In the past, we replaced all our travel trailer mattresses with whatever we were using in the house, namely, Serta. If it's comfortable in the house, there is no reason why you should not be just as comfortable in your camper. Get the best money can buy (not necessarily the most expensive), and your back and neck will love you for it.
I have replaced 3 RV mattresses with real queens from Sam's. Generally much less than a typical mattress store maybe because they can be "last year's models" but how much can a mattress change. Has worked very well for us and the last one for the GFs 5th wheel, they had a free delivery special so we didn't have to muscle it in and they took the old POS away. We sleep good now but not full timing in it. Our "cabin on the bay" RV.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:47 AM   #26
TG10894

Best Mattress I own is in my RV

I bought a Montana Hybrid Plush - RV Mattress (short queen) from Wilderness RV Mattress. A regular queen wasn't an option for this trailer unless you wanted to fold the mattress up every time you put the slide in. I do not like the pure foam mattresses because they just seem too hot to sleep on for me. (personal choice, some people love them)
The mattress I have has springs and foam and is similar to a higher end residential mattress. It came vac packed with a "no questions asked guarantee" if I didn't like it. Once in the trailer, I unpacked it and within minutes you couldn't even tell it had been folded and rolled.

If you want a mattress that you will miss when you go home, this is the one for you. Of course, good ain't cheap. At $600 it was not the cheapest option, but for us we will never have to buy another one (or another topper) and we wake up smiling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rolled mattress.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	25229
Click image for larger version

Name:	New RV mattress.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	25230

https://wildernessrvmattress.com/col...BoCl2cQAvD_BwE
TG10894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:20 AM   #27
Roscommon48

first thing we do when getting a new trailer is....a real mattress. just figure out which one you want.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #28
jsb5717

We also replaced our RV mattress with an 8" Amazon Zinus foam mattress and a 4" foam topper. Sleeps quite well and the struts lift it just fine.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:28 PM   #29
Rdynbama

You would think that spending 80k and beyond the company would have enough pride in the product that they would put a higher quality mattress in the master bedroom at least ��*♂️

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Old 02-19-2020, 04:37 PM   #30
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdynbama View Post
You would think that spending 80k and beyond the company would have enough pride in the product that they would put a higher quality mattress in the master bedroom at least ��*♂️
When I owned a motorcycle and was a member of a group, seats were a frequent discussion. Similar complaints as our mattresses.

It was generally agreed upon that not much was invested in seats as everyone’s butt is different and most people will replace it with something from the aftermarket. So why spend a lot on the manufacturing side that will soon see the trash can?

I’m wondering if the same train of thought is going on with the mattresses.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:08 PM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I think Brantly hit it on the head. You ever read the reviews of mattresses? Every butt wants to feel something different. I don't mind spending 3k on a mattress that feels great to MY butt, but absolutely don't add that to my price if it was made for YOUR butt....you get the drift. They keep it simple (thankfully) and cheap. I know what it is, and just like this evening, I've made plans for a new aftermarket mattress to be delivered to the dealership to be placed in our new RV before we take possession.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:09 AM   #32
judia

So you call this a bed

Slept one night on my supposedly upgraded residential mattress...rock hard and lumps...awful. Bought a 10" Zinus on Amazon, pretty much heaven.
judia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:21 AM   #33
Rdynbama

I read the reviews on Zinus and was not impressed so we’re gonna order the Spring Dreams mattress from Amazon that Tom 1957 has a link to earlier in this thread when we get home from this trip next week

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Old 02-20-2020, 06:31 AM   #34
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
If you go to a furniture store and buy a bedroom set it typically doesn't come with a mattress/box spring. It's a "personal comfort" choice.

So Keystone will install the "basic" mattress. You also don't get top of the line televisions, stereo's, furniture, or appliances. If you want all of those "amenities"and the choice of fabrics, flooring etc. then move up to a "higher end" brand and add 20%+ to the price.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:17 AM   #35
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
If you go to a furniture store and buy a bedroom set it typically doesn't come with a mattress/box spring. It's a "personal comfort" choice.

So Keystone will install the "basic" mattress. You also don't get top of the line televisions, stereo's, furniture, or appliances. If you want all of those "amenities"and the choice of fabrics, flooring etc. then move up to a "higher end" brand and add 20%+ to the price.
To get top line appliances you'll spend a whole lot more than 20% more. Think New Horizon, Spacecraft and such. Supposed "top-line??" like DRV or equivalent use most of the same stuff. I don't have $250K++ to spend on an RV that I'll use 120+- days/nights a year especially on a rapidly depreciating asset/liability. If I decided to full time, sell the S&B and was younger, I might consider a "really good build" and go for it. Meanwhile reality kicks in and I deal with my circumstances, the circumstances of current affordable builds and will change what I can, fix what I can, and hopefully have many good sleeping nights away from home. I've bought the Sam's club mattress a couple times before and very satisfied with the quality. Would it stand up to nightly use in the S&B, maybe but it did well for the 2 of us on a 2 months western parks trip.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:34 AM   #36
jmatteis

We got our camper in the fall, only slept in it for one weekend before storing it. Ours has the Murphy bed in the front, we thought it looked pretty thick, it was comfy when we laid on it in the dealership, and it wasn't bad when we camped, but we wanted something more comfortable, picked up the memory foam mattress topper from Costco, have read about others using it, and it should be able to be folded up with the murphy bed mattress without issue. For the kids bunks, we are getting 6" memory foam mattresses that fit the bunk area perfectly, as the thin 2" foam pads that came with it, as soon as you're on it, you feel the plywood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
We also replaced our RV mattress with an 8" Amazon Zinus foam mattress and a 4" foam topper. Sleeps quite well and the struts lift it just fine.
Did you find that the Zinus off gassed for a couple of days? We are looking at the 6" Zinus cot sized mattress for the bunks, the width is exact, the length is 2 inches longer, which will just bunch up at the end of the bunk wall. Reviews are pretty good, a lot of people say it doesn't fluff up to the full 6" when opened, more like 5 or so... as long as the kids are comfy that is all that matters.
jmatteis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:14 AM   #37
6.2 Superduty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
I picked up a regular queen mattress at wallymart. One of those ones that puff up after you unstrap it. I really like it.
I made the mistake of opening it up in the house.
6.2 Superduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:27 AM   #38
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatteis View Post
Did you find that the Zinus off gassed for a couple of days? We are looking at the 6" Zinus cot sized mattress for the bunks, the width is exact, the length is 2 inches longer, which will just bunch up at the end of the bunk wall. Reviews are pretty good, a lot of people say it doesn't fluff up to the full 6" when opened, more like 5 or so... as long as the kids are comfy that is all that matters.

We didn't notice the outgassing but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. We opened it up in our trailer but didn't use it right away. I believe the directions wanted it to breathe for like 48 hours before use so we just left it and came back to it later.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 04:58 AM   #39
Hey Louie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG10894 View Post
I bought a Montana Hybrid Plush - RV Mattress (short queen) from Wilderness RV Mattress. A regular queen wasn't an option for this trailer unless you wanted to fold the mattress up every time you put the slide in. I do not like the pure foam mattresses because they just seem too hot to sleep on for me. (personal choice, some people love them)
The mattress I have has springs and foam and is similar to a higher end residential mattress. It came vac packed with a "no questions asked guarantee" if I didn't like it. Once in the trailer, I unpacked it and within minutes you couldn't even tell it had been folded and rolled.

If you want a mattress that you will miss when you go home, this is the one for you. Of course, good ain't cheap. At $600 it was not the cheapest option, but for us we will never have to buy another one (or another topper) and we wake up smiling.

Attachment 25229
Attachment 25230

Thanks TG10894, we went ahead and placed an order. I'll let everyone know how much we like or how well they handle their warranty policy.
Hey Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 05:44 AM   #40
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG10894 View Post

Attachment 25229
Attachment 25230

At $600 certainly not anywhere near the most expensive either. I just replaced a 20 year old king for a new queen in the house and spent 2X that. For the Raptor I'm getting I will take the mattress out of the motorhome and swap it for what ever was put in at the factory. Already coordinated that with dealer.

Tags
bed