Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2020, 03:48 AM   #1
rjsurfer

Tires hitting frame on one side.

Both tires on the left side of camper have shown evidence of hitting the frame. They have worn a small section of the coroplast and wood away, but the 5th wheel (2019 25RLS) doesn't lean at all and it looks level side to side when towing. This is a big deal because my previous camper was swapped out because of water intrusuion from the wheel well area and other locations rotting out the floor.

I haven't had a chance to weigh it yet but will sometime during this camping trip. The unit has 4400 lb axles by the way.

Now, we weighed all our "stuff" on our previous trip and was around 900lbs, well below it's 1,500lb limit, so I'm thinking we should be fine as far as weight goes but will see after weigh in.

This model does seem to have all it's "heavy" stuff on that side. The 8 cubic ft. fridge, microwave, sink, converter/distribution panel, outdoor fridge and stove, furnace and TV entertainment center.

I'm skeptical Keystone will will do much when I take it in for warranty service after this trip is over so I'm concerned about how to go about taking care of this, do I get heavier duty spring packs on both sides or just one side?

Thanks

Ron W
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:22 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I would definitely try for a warranty solution first. If that fails and you decide to install heavier rated springs, you do all of them not just one side.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:10 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Is the tire "hitting the frame" (on the inside part of the tire) or hitting the "top of the wheelwell" (above the tire) ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:19 AM   #4
Ken / Claudia

Talk about a bomb ready to go off. Any tire rubbing on any part of the trailer is degraded. How much?
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:15 AM   #5
rjsurfer

The tires are hitting the top of the wheelwell. Coroplast liner ripped/worn and the wood on the the top of the wheelwell is scratched a bit, driver side is perfect.

I'm going to a Cat scale Monday on the way to my next stop for a weigh. Is there a way for me to see the side to side difference? It doesn't seem like there is any way to do it?

As I mentioned, my friend has been following me and has not noticed any lean.

Ron W
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
Old 01-08-2020, 01:04 PM   #6
slow

Not that it should matter if designed properly, but is it possible that you went over a curb and pushed the suspension to the limit on that side?
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:43 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

As slow indicated, it may be a "normal response to an abnormal situation" and a "happened once, probably won't happen again. Then, maybe there's more to the story, only a good inspection and assessment will tell you what really happened.

Mine did the same thing this past summer when I had to tow it about 10 miles with only one wheel on the "slide side". When we got it repaired and towed it home, we had some significant damage to the DACOR lining in the wheelwell and some scraping on the underlying OSB. I patched the DACOR with "dacor repair tape" and then installed 1/4" thick HDPE sheeting to cover the entire wheelwell area. While I have no illusions that the HDPE would protect the underlying structure in a tire blowout situation, it will protect the OSB from water intrusion from the multiple "rock pricks/pebble pricks" that cause holes in the think DACOR lining. Honestly, almost any wheelwell that's "protected" by DACOR is subject to significant water damage/rot after towing for a couple thousand miles. Every little rock that's picked up in the tire tread and slung against the DACOR is going to "poke a tiny hole" in that thin plastic sheet. Once there are multiple holes, every time you tow on a wet road or tow through a puddle, you can bet the OSB is going to be saturated with water.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:19 AM   #8
rjsurfer

Op back, I'm sure it wasn't a low speed curb hit, the Coroplast was actually melted at the wear site.

As I mentioned I'm getting trailer weighed Monday just to protect myself from a Keystone response that I overloaded it.

Is there a way to measure each individual tire??

Ron W
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
Old 01-09-2020, 04:33 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post

Ron W
Im sure there is. I’m just not sure how you would do it. I know CHP has pads that they carry, I’m just not sure where you would go for that.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:37 AM   #10
ChuckS

I see the Jayco Pinnacle .. some models has a NHTSA recall in the works for suspension issues very similar to what you incurred with your unit...

You have 4400# axles.. 3 leafs in the spring pack ... the tires should never.. my opinion hit the wheel well on a properly loaded fifth wheel with a properly working and properly sized set of springs...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:05 AM   #11
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsurfer View Post

Ron W

Yes but probably not at CAT.
You need to check local gravel pit or concrete or building supply for a scale with level space off to the side.

HERE is the work sheet you will use.

Tire to frame or bodywork is a SAFETY issue and you should file a complaint with NHTSA. Also advise Keystone that they need to fix the cause or that you would hold them responsible for any tire failure.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:33 AM   #12
geeman

Check shackles and suspension components. Are they worn allowing the axles to ride higher than supposed to be?
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:09 AM   #13
firestation12

Check the shackle hangers. A side load placed on them from a sharp turn can cause bending which will offset the axle.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:44 AM   #14
Ccrew

I've had this issue twice, once on a former trailer and now on my current. On the former (A KZ before Thor screwed them up) I had it do it on all 4 wheels and it turned out it was a BAL frame that they neglected to put the correct risers at the spring mounts. They made it good at the factory and treated us like a million bucks.

Current trailer I caught it on our last trip. Got out to smell hot rubber when we got to our campsite. It was a heavily pitched road and it was the heavy side of the trailer which was the low side of the pitch. I'm letting it go for now as I'm switching the trailer to LCI's CenterPoint TrailAir equalizers which raises the trailer 2". In the interim I offloaded some of the weight to the other side which got us home just fine.

I agree that you should corner weigh it. I'm willing to bet that one side is substantially heavier than the other. That's why I went to the TrailAir because I can adjust side to side.
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:01 AM   #15
SkiSmuggs

I had the same problem when the fiver was 4 years old. The 4-leaf (4400 lb) springs for my 10K fiver had gone flat. Stopped at a spring shop for heavier replacement springs which turned out to be 6-leaf which caused a rough ride. The shop was out of the 5-leaf I had asked for. Discovered a replaced axle had been down graded from 4400 to 3500 by Dexter so I am having the entire suspension swapped for 5200 lb springs and axles this coming summer.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:12 AM   #16
rjsurfer

OP back, finally went to the Cat Scale the other day and it was an eye opener. The total weight of the camper was 9,700 pounds with a hitch weight of 2,400lbs. That was empty tanks and maybe 20 gallons of water.

The advertised dry weight of the 25RES was 7,600lbs, so if I go by that I'm carrying over 2,400 pounds of "stuff", NO WAY!

The advertised hitch was around 1,700lbs, with trailer axles coming in at 7,480, so our two 4400lb are up to spec.

The last time my wife and I loaded up our previous 25RES the actually weight of our "stuff" was around 1,020lbs. We actually hand weighed all of it. That means the Keystone dry weight figure is way off.

Back to the original problem of hitting the wheel well on the left side. After noticing the scraping away of the Darco liner at our previous campground I sprayed some undercoating for some temporary protection and as a tell to see when and if it happens again. No sign of it hitting again after a 175 mile trip to our present camping spot. We still have another month of camping and 800 miles of driving here in Florida so time will tell.

As an aside, my wife's bike was stolen off the back of the camper while doing the weight check at the Cat Scale. My wife was in the in the building waiting for the paper work while I went to unhitch to do the last weigh with the truck alone, I wasn't gone from the camper for longer than 10 minutes!

Ron W.
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter

Tags
tires