Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2019, 11:42 AM   #21
Roscommon48

first off, DON'T use your regualar water hose to flush! you can always get black water back into the hose!

as for flushing to rinse the black tank, i've been rving for years and never yet flushed out the black tank.

You need to learn how long you can NOT dump the black water and then flush it when nearly full to get the full force of drainage.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:57 PM   #22
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
I think I have less experience than the others, but I have a couple comments. I was told never to use the tank flush hose while the black tank valve is closed, as a minor distraction could result in a back-flow out of the toilet into the floor of the trailer.

Whether you leave your gray tank valve open while at the campsite is up to you, but I would plan it such that each time you need to dump the black tank, you have a full (or nearly full, as much as possible) grey tank to provide a lot of water pressure to chase "stuff" out of the dump hose after dumping the black tank.

You can dump the black tank and then use the black tank flush system after, but to me this is more to rinse the interior of the tank, and not to clear the dump hose. I think you need a lot of non-black water to really "flush" the dump hose after dumping the black tank.

Do what's easiest for you, as long as it works
I added a water timer to my black flush because I am very forgetful. I already overflowed the bathroom sink twice!
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:46 PM   #23
LHaven

If your sink is connected to the black tank, you have unresolved problems.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:29 PM   #24
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhaven View Post
If your sink is connected to the black tank, you have unresolved problems.
Not connected, I was running the sink to fill the grey in order to flush the sewer hose.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:01 PM   #25
efrulla

I own a Cougar 25RES and both greys and the black dump through the same outlet. Once the black is dumped I use the tank flush liberally. I also purchased a 90 degree clear elbow which contains a hose connection and a built in one-way valve. Once the flush is complete, I close all of the gate valves, hook my grey hose to the 90 degree outlet and turn the water on. This gives my sewer hose a flush with clean water after it was flushed with the grey water. If you do this be real anal about making sure all of the gate valves are closed. Forget to do that and the mess will make sure you do not forget again.
efrulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:43 AM   #26
terrythetech

Just a side note with all the good replies. When we are going to be at a campsite with hookups, and after i dump my tanks and close the valves, I always step on the toilet flush for 2 full minutes after adding my "Happy Camper" chems. You dont always know who may use the rest room and it allows for a bit of comfort knowing a pyramid doesnt start from the get-go.
terrythetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:07 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrythetech View Post
Just a side note with all the good replies. When we are going to be at a campsite with hookups, and after i dump my tanks and close the valves, I always step on the toilet flush for 2 full minutes after adding my "Happy Camper" chems. You dont always know who may use the rest room and it allows for a bit of comfort knowing a pyramid doesnt start from the get-go.
I do essentially the same as you, but a slightly different technique. Here's how I do it and why: Both Dometic and Thetford toilets have a "2 step valve" that allows for filling the bowl when the valve is slightly depressed, without opening the ball/flush hole cover. I step on the toilet flush valve and fill the bowl completely, to just under the water ports. My toilet bowl (Dometic 310) holds approximately 2 gallons of water. Then I flush and fill it again. That puts 4 gallons of water in the black tank (plus what wasn't dumped).

Now, the why: Water pressure is very inconsistent from campground to campground and even more so when using the onboard water pump. So, using the "timed method" at one campground may give you 8 gallons in the black tank and another campground may only give you 2 gallons, depending on flow rates and pressure. Additionally, holding that "big, odorous" hole open will allow the smells to flow up, especially if there's a roof vent open. That fills the bathroom (and maybe the trailer) with smells that most of us don't want to endure. So, to get closer to a "known water quantity" and "prevent unwanted odors", try my method, you'll get 4 gallons every time and hopefully not "fill the trailer with aroma".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:44 AM   #28
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Additionally, holding that "big, odorous" hole open will allow the smells to flow up, especially if there's a roof vent open.
I used to do the toilet fill trick on my old rig, but on my new Cougar, the hose flush attachment has spoiled me -- I just blow an extra 20 seconds of water in after closing the valve for the last time, and call it a wash [pun intended].
Old 05-07-2019, 10:17 AM   #29
MattE303

Quote:
I do essentially the same as you, but a slightly different technique. Here's how I do it and why: Both Dometic and Thetford toilets have a "2 step valve" that allows for filling the bowl when the valve is slightly depressed, without opening the ball/flush hole cover. I step on the toilet flush valve and fill the bowl completely, to just under the water ports. My toilet bowl (Dometic 310) holds approximately 2 gallons of water. Then I flush and fill it again. That puts 4 gallons of water in the black tank (plus what wasn't dumped).

Now, the why: Water pressure is very inconsistent from campground to campground and even more so when using the onboard water pump. So, using the "timed method" at one campground may give you 8 gallons in the black tank and another campground may only give you 2 gallons, depending on flow rates and pressure. Additionally, holding that "big, odorous" hole open will allow the smells to flow up, especially if there's a roof vent open. That fills the bathroom (and maybe the trailer) with smells that most of us don't want to endure. So, to get closer to a "known water quantity" and "prevent unwanted odors", try my method, you'll get 4 gallons every time and hopefully not "fill the trailer with aroma".....
Due to my obsessive need to measure things , I use a gallon milk jug to measure the water. With the toilet valve closed, I drop a couple of the Camco Orange TST drop-ins into the bowl, pour some water from the jug over them and wait to make sure the packets dissolve, then pour in the rest of the water and open the flush valve.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:03 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE303 View Post
Due to my obsessive need to measure things , I use a gallon milk jug to measure the water. With the toilet valve closed, I drop a couple of the Camco Orange TST drop-ins into the bowl, pour some water from the jug over them and wait to make sure the packets dissolve, then pour in the rest of the water and open the flush valve.
There have been many reports of the plastic "envelopes" that contain the TST liquid not completely dissolving. They are reported to "partially dissolve, release the liquid, giving the appearance of completely dissolving" when actually, they "burst/leak" the liquid and remain undissolved. That plastic, similar to saran wrap or plastic film, can hang up in the slide valves, cause them to leak and create problems in the future.

If you have an "obsessive need" to measure, you might want to add a step and cut those packets open, dump the contents into one of the jugs of water and toss the plastic in the trash.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-07-2019, 11:18 AM   #31
MattE303

Quote:
There have been many reports of the plastic "envelopes" that contain the TST liquid not completely dissolving. They are reported to "partially dissolve, release the liquid, giving the appearance of completely dissolving" when actually, they "burst/leak" the liquid and remain undissolved. That plastic, similar to saran wrap or plastic film, can hang up in the slide valves, cause them to leak and create problems in the future.

If you have an "obsessive need" to measure, you might want to add a step and cut those packets open, dump the contents into one of the jugs of water and toss the plastic in the trash.
The TST packets I use contain a powder rather than a liquid, but the plastic "wrapper" is just as you describe (like saran wrap), so I could easily see it causing issues if it didn't dissolve completely. I will try cutting them open and pouring the powder in by hand, thanks for the tip John!

2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
Old 05-07-2019, 11:39 AM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

You're welcome. Hopefully it will help you avoid any issues with leaking dump valves. A couple years ago we had a report from someone stating that their black tank valve was "fouled" by the packets and they had to replace the valve to get it to stop leaking. Many other's have reported that the packets don't dissolve or only partially dissolve. If cutting them open and tossing the plastic keeps you "on top of the black tank" rather than "under it for repairs" then it's a "win-win" situation !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-07-2019, 11:54 AM   #33
MattE303

Quote:
You're welcome. Hopefully it will help you avoid any issues with leaking dump valves. A couple years ago we had a report from someone stating that their black tank valve was "fouled" by the packets and they had to replace the valve to get it to stop leaking. Many other's have reported that the packets don't dissolve or only partially dissolve. If cutting them open and tossing the plastic keeps you "on top of the black tank" rather than "under it for repairs" then it's a "win-win" situation !!!!!
for sure, having to service or replace the black tank valve is the last thing I want to mess with (yikes)!!

2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
Old 05-07-2019, 12:16 PM   #34
chuckster57
Site Team

TST citrus comes in liquid form. I was gifted a tub of Dometic blue packets, used two one weekend to test and found after 3 days the intact packets came out with a rinse. No packets allowed here!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:20 PM   #35
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
TST citrus comes in liquid form. I was gifted a tub of Dometic blue packets, used two one weekend to test and found after 3 days the intact packets came out with a rinse. No packets allowed here!!
I just looked that up on Amazon a few minutes ago! I think I'll cut open the remaining packets I have (as John suggested), and try the liquid form when I run out of packets, thanks again guys!

2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
Old 05-07-2019, 01:14 PM   #36
JRTJH
Site Team

I buy the TST liquid orange at WalMart. A 32 ounce size for around $11 lasts all season. No plastic pouches to worry about and it fits under the vanity with the bleach, spray wax, Aerospace 303 and extra rolls of TP/wet wipes.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #37
sourdough
Site Team

I have to 2nd what chuckster said. Tried the packets one time; went to dump and right thru my clear elbow came the intact packet - they found their way to the dumpster that day.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:39 PM   #38
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
This guy has done a lot of black tank cleaning tests. I found this video to be very informative. He shows the difference between leaving the valve open and leaving it closed. The link is below.

https://youtu.be/dfTd0Slt_cU
great video, definitely worth a look for anyone who has an rv with a black tank, although I think he does a bit of a disservice to the Sewer Solutions device; for me the real value of the SS is its ability to take the place of a macerator in at least some situations. Using the SS, I dump into a sewer cleanout at my house that is about 70-80' away from where I park the toy hauler, using 3/4" PVC pipe. If you need to go much longer distances, or pump uphill, you'll probably need a macerator... if not, the SS is a much cheaper but still very effective solution.

2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
Old 05-08-2019, 02:03 AM   #39
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE303 View Post
great video, definitely worth a look for anyone who has an rv with a black tank, although I think he does a bit of a disservice to the Sewer Solutions device; for me the real value of the SS is its ability to take the place of a macerator in at least some situations. Using the SS, I dump into a sewer cleanout at my house that is about 70-80' away from where I park the toy hauler, using 3/4" PVC pipe. If you need to go much longer distances, or pump uphill, you'll probably need a macerator... if not, the SS is a much cheaper but still very effective solution.
I use the SS at my long term winter site because I run into a 2" pipe that runs 200' down a low slope to the septic tank and it works well. I don't use it for rincing as I have the Tornado flush which I run for about 10 minutes then shut the valve for about 2 min. I repeat this procedure a couple times and call it a day. Then I shut the valve and slowly walk back to the shut off for the flush and by then there is some water in the tank.

As for packets, I used them in my previous rig with leaking valve ussue so now I just alternate with Happy Camper one tank and then the Eco method the next. This seems to work well and keeps the sensors working pretty good.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:17 AM   #40
notanlines

Ever so slightly off topic, but DW used Tide Pods for our laundry when first on the market for a short period. The plastic-like covering would not dissolve properly and ruined a number of t-shirts and a few bed sheets as I remember. Tide laid no claim to responsibility and we immediately switched to another brand and a liquid. Not a fat chance any wrapped 'pods' are going in any of our tanks!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote